No Open Carry sign at Smashburger

This is a discussion on No Open Carry sign at Smashburger within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wife and I went to Smashburger for lunch (great food). When we pulled up, my wife noticed a strange gunbuster sign. I was about to ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: No Open Carry sign at Smashburger

No Open Carry sign at Smashburger

Wife and I went to Smashburger for lunch (great food). When we pulled up, my wife noticed a strange gunbuster sign. I was about to suggest that we go somewhere else, when I looked at it and realized it was a "No Open-Carry" sign.

Well, that's interesting, I thought to myself. Wonder how they came to that decision? Since I CC, it wasn't a big deal to me and we went in. A little while later, the manager stops by our table and asks how everything is. I decided to ask about the sign.

According to him, there was an incident somewhere with an OC customer. Corporate decided that was it, and they banned OC from their stores.

Now, this leaves in two minds. First, once incident causes a universal ban? That seems like a pretty big overreaction to me. However, in the age of lawsuits, I guess I can understand it, reluctantly. On the other side of the equation, I'm impressed that they didn't just go ahead and ban all guns from their store. Whether I like the policy or not, I have to admit that at least it seems like they gave it some thought and sought a middle-ground. From their perspective, I can understand the difference, and it makes me wonder if the issue wasn't the person OC'ing, but rather, someone else freaking out about it when somebody carried into the restaurant, then calling the police.

Regardless, I've decided that it's a place I will continue to eat at because I'm happy with the fact that they didn't full-kneejerk into a no-carry restaurant.

2. Remove Ads

I think that is more then fair. They don't want to see my gun, fine, I will conceal it then. I can respect that sign.
    mrm, SCXDm9, maxwell97 and 2 others like this.

I'd still eat somewhere else. I prefer not to eat where the owners don't think rationally
    Eagleks, FTG-05 and NONAME762 like this.

I know that I "feel" that I should not support a business that only partially supports the 2A. We will be allowed open carry here 1July. I am expecting that to cause more no firearms signs. I only know of one sign so far. To add more confusion, if you have been through training the sign means nothing, if you haven't been through training and carry in a posted place it is a felony.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

This is to the OP, what makes you think they would allow you to eat there if they knew you CC??

Lots of places make great burgers.
    carracer likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Qtip View Post
    I'd still eat somewhere else. I prefer not to eat where the owners don't think rationally
    It is more rational then most. What if the owner just put up the sign so the uneducated anti-gunners would keep their mouth shut and keep buying his burgers? What if he is really pro gun, but is trying to make ends meet and wants to stay in business? This is theoretical obviously, but I would gladly trade all the "no guns at all" signs for "no open carry" signs. Just consider that.
    Phaedrus, maxwell97 and Paco23 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    This is to the OP, what makes you think they would allow you to eat there if they knew you CC??

Lots of places make great burgers.
    The sign was SPECIFICALLY, no OPEN CARRY.

They could care less about CC'ers. It is a lot easier to get a normal gunbuster sign than it is a no open carry sign, especially in this state since Smashburger sells beer. Arizona will provide them with gunbuster signs for free. So, just the fact that they specified no open carry tells me a lot.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    The sign was SPECIFICALLY, no OPEN CARRY.

They could care less about CC'ers. It is a lot easier to get a normal gunbuster sign than it is a no open carry sign, especially in this state since Smashburger sells beer. Arizona will provide them with gunbuster signs for free. So, just the fact that they specified no open carry tells me a lot.
    Yep, tells me a lot also. Like they believe "a little bit of infringement" is allowed. If your going to allow carry, you allow carry. If your going to ban carry then band it. They need to get their corporate butts off the fence and decide which side of the line they're on!
    FTG-05 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Well, that's interesting, I thought to myself. Wonder how they came to that decision?
    Well, at least they fully appreciate that a well-defended citizenry is in everyone's best interests, including theirs. But they're giving the nod to the contemporary realities of openly carrying, not least of which is (a) ornery carriers, (b) ornery customers disliking carriers. If that's their stance, to support both camps, this choice seems a good one. Carry is supported for all the right reasons, but OC is discouraged ... for all the right reasons. Not a bad way to do it, really. I agree they should get off the fence and decide, if they're to truly be seen as supporters. Amongst some, this can smack of waffling.

Though, of course, I'd prefer in a strongly 2A/carry type state like AZ, one that clearly strongly supports OC, that business of this sort would take a strong stance in support of fully-armed citizen carry. But then, I'm not running that business. (Neither are they; corporate decided.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I'm staying on the fence on this one. I can see where this looks like bull chips, and I can see where it looks almost reasonable.
    Sticky wicket.
    rockratt likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Yep, tells me a lot also. Like they believe "a little bit of infringement" is allowed. If your going to allow carry, you allow carry. If your going to ban carry then band it. They need to get their corporate butts off the fence and decide which side of the line they're on!
    You know, I see posts like this on DC all the time, and I am curious. What exactly would you prefer? Would you rather the government mandate that everyone MUST allow CC and OC on their PRIVATE property that they are paying good money for? [Sarcasm]That certainly doesn't sound like a dangerous precident to me at all. I am sure that politicians would stop at mandating just carry rights on private property and that it wouldn't extend to other forms of regulation.[/sarcasm]

I realize that this is probably a banable offense around here, but I would like to point out that the right to keep and bear arms is not the only, nor is it explicitly listed as the most important right afforded the American citizenry.
    Ogre and Zralou like this.

The whole state of Florida bans OC.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    People lets let forget about the food . Jemsaal said it was good .
    But on a serious not i would still eat there , they found a good balance IMO

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    " First, once incident causes a universal ban? "

In the litigation world, that translates to, "You mean it happened before and the company didn't take appropriate action? Your Honor, I declare that the company was negligent in its security and rest my case."

If the burgers are that good, I'm eating--gun or no gun. Life is too short to pass up a good burger.
    varob, Ogre, elmacgyver0 and 4 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    You know, I see posts like this on DC all the time, and I am curious. What exactly would you prefer? Would you rather the government mandate that everyone MUST allow CC and OC on their PRIVATE property that they are paying good money for? [Sarcasm]That certainly doesn't sound like a dangerous precident to me at all. I am sure that politicians would stop at mandating just carry rights on private property and that it wouldn't extend to other forms of regulation.[/sarcasm]

I realize that this is probably a banable offense around here, but I would like to point out that the right to keep and bear arms is not the only, nor is it explicitly listed as the most important right afforded the American citizenry.
    I say it again, they need to decide which side of the fence they are on. If they chose to allow carry, then allow it (open or concealed). If they don't want carrying, then ban it, but be consistent with your position.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links