OC Double Standard (Handguns OK, Rifles a No-No?)

This is a discussion on OC Double Standard (Handguns OK, Rifles a No-No?) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What is up with the seemingly double standard of opinions on OC when it comes to handguns and rifles? OCing a handgun is "just exercising ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: OC Double Standard (Handguns OK, Rifles a No-No?)

OC Double Standard (Handguns OK, Rifles a No-No?)

What is up with the seemingly double standard of opinions on OC when it comes to handguns and rifles? OCing a handgun is "just exercising your rights," or "not a big deal" yet OCing a rifle is either "a political statement," or "just plain stupid." What gives? I fail to see how one can be something positive but the other is negative, they both are guns, both are semi-automatic, and in many cases can have the same magazine capacity.

I understand rifles are a bit more... overt but so what? If someone was walking the street with an AR-15/AK-47 on their back I am sure they would get a lot more attention than the Glock OCer but what does that have to do with the reason they carry? Sure, maybe they would be fine with just a handgun but why is it any of our place to tell them what to carry? We'd never tell another carrier that they should carry brand X instead of their beloved brand Y, because that's a personal choice. I see OCing a rifle the same way, its up to them and it falls under the same 2A.

The only reason I could come up with is that "it makes us look evil to antis." If that's the case, I find that a lame excuse. Compromising on your own beliefs and values because of what "the others" will think of you? These are guns and our right to bear arms, not illegal drug use. Would you tell someone here, "well maybe you should carry a G26 instead of a G17 so the antis have a harder time spotting them"?

Honestly, I feel that antis will remain antis until they encounter an unfortunate situation and "come to Jesus." Until then, I see no point in appeasing them because there's always something else they'll whine about. I don't think any of us should compromise our 2A rights simply because "what they may think." And if you have no problem with OC (doesn't mean you have to practice it instead of CC), you should have no problem with what they decide to OC.

To put it shortly, I personally don't think I'd OC a rifle but I'd think nothing of it if someone else did.
    suntzu, ccw9mm and GSDSchutzhund like this.

2. Remove Ads

I don't normally OC a rifle though I have on a few occasions. Just call me a tree hugger but I don't drive unless I have to. Keeps my carbon footprint low Anyway, I picked up one of those evil black rifles a while ago and put it on my back aand biked home. Had to run a few errands in town also.

Could I have used my truck? Sure, but why,to do somethiing I would not normally do to appease "possible" anit's and gun owners alike.

Could I have done my errands before picking up the AR? Sure, but that would have meant backtracking my route. Why?

Most folks that would OC a rifle in an urban enviroment most likely are making a statement. Then again, so were all the folks that OCed at NH state capitol. Guess which one got more attention? The latter. From pro 2A and anti's. The individual OC seeker does not garnish anything but 5 minutes of local news time. A You tube video that gets lost among the hunfreds of others that no one cares about. And finally, that one OC'er that makes a video gets a bbutt load of attention on a gun forum!
    ItalianSteel and Phaedrus like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The sheep have been brainwashed to the degree it's infused all of our thinking. A visible gun is one thing. A visible BIG gun is something to be feared. It's endemic, sadly. Though, with a grain of truth. Rifles can, generally speaking, pack more of a wallop than a sidearm (cartridge dependent, of course).

Stupid, yes. Double standard, yes. But it's what many people think. And since folks of "that" sort also pay the salaries of the police and sheriff, they also have every right to make their voices heard on their fears along these lines. No real way around that, other than to reverse-brainwash folks to the simple reality that guns <> crime, guns <> criminals, guns aren't the problem. Until we get there, we'll continue to have these stupidities in the minds of the fearful.

And so, we get the handling of OC of rifles that we have, in most places.

Nicely, I live in a place where OC of sidearms and long guns is taken as gospel, OC is relatively common, people aren't barred from hardly anywhere, including the state capitol and other state properties. Gets a little squirelly in urban areas, sometimes, with long guns, for much the same reasons as you describe. But otherwise it's not nearly so much an issue as in many states. It's nice to be free.
    suntzu and ItalianSteel like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I don't care if people OC as long as they are lawful.

But I will say this: If I were in a Zaxby's, eating some chicken, and four guys came in, two with AR style rifles and two with riot shotguns slung over their backs, I would think twice and I would initially "get ready." Why? Because OC'ing rifles in an urban environment is not the norm. And it likely never will be - lugging around 5-8 pounds of polymer, wood and steel does not seem normal to me - it's darn uncomfortable.

I find it difficult to comprehend the position that one would not think twice about seeing someone OCing a rifle.

Also, if I notice someone carrying a pistol, I do take notice initially - the person has an instrumentality that can be used to kill me in a second. But carrying a pistol does not concern me as much as carrying a rifle because the latter is not something I often see.
    Last edited by PEF; June 1st, 2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: clarification
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I think someone walking into a theater or other crowded place with a ar or similar rifle would make me a little nervous and raise my sa some what.

I have to say that carrying any long gun just does not make any sense. Why would one want to do so? Long guns are difficult to carry. There are no logical reason to carry a rifle. If it were to be discharged either by accident or on purpose, the bullet could penetrate walls, travel for a mile or penetrate several people. Rifle shots are usually fatal to people. Rifle bullets will penetrate officers vest. Rifles do not make good self defense close range weapons.

Put a rifle in a rack on a truck window if you want to show it off. Put it in a scabbard on an ATV if you want to have one with you. BUt walking around in an urban setting is not the place for a long gun.
    Last edited by oldman45; June 11th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I have to say that carrying any long gun just does not make any sense. Why would one want to do so? Why would one want to do such?
    Let's see ...

Heading from point A to B, but don't have a car trunk with which to do it. Living in rural areas where it's common practice. Living in a community which, even if not rural, views it as common practice. (Time was, when this sort of thing was a nearly daily occurrence, where I grew up. Do that these days and in many places you'll end up arrested, on principle, lawful arrest or not.) Heading to or from a hunting or range session. Heading out to the "back 40" for a bit of plinking. Walking back from the gun shop, where a rifle purchase was just made. Walking back from neighbor XYZ's home where a private-purchase was just made. Preference to be better armed than with a mere sidearm (and we've all heard the sentiment of having a sidearm to allow one to get to one's rifle). In many states, it's also lawful and completely within our rights as citizens to do ... and to not be harassed for doing so.

I'm sure there are others, but there are many reasons why a given person might choose to do it.
    suntzu, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This has been a topic of conversation with my friends and family lately... When you visibly represent a group, you need to walk the high road to represent that group as well as possible. I don't care if you're wearing a 'second amendment' tee, have pro-gun and NRA stickers all over your vehicle, or OCing a firearm, you're representing all of us whether you like it (or intend to) or not.

There are a couple things to keep in mind. First, ANY firearm is going to draw the attention of those outside our community. Second, it only takes a couple of seconds to make an impression. Because of this, when carrying a visible firearm, you need to act with decorum and civility. Carrying a long gun (whether we agree with it, like it, or even acknowledge it) causes a negative reaction from anyone outside our community... and often times even with people inside our community.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    I have to say that carrying any long gun just does not make any sense. Why would one want to do so? Why would one want to do such?

Long guns are difficult to carry. There are no logical reason to carry a rifle. If it were to be discharged either by accident or on purpose, the bullet could penetrate walls, travel for a mile or penetrate several people. Rifle shots are usually fatal to people. Rifle bullets will penetrate officers vest. Rifles do not make good self defense close range weapons.

Put a rifle in a rack on a truck window if you want to shot it off. Put it in a scabbard on an ATV if you want to have one with you. BUt walkiing around in an urban setting is not the place for a long gun.
    I NH at one of my houses I would hike from house to the range to shoot trap. Then i would hike up the road to a store for a sandwich and beverage. Then hike back home. I could have driven but I like to keep my carbon footprint small...save the world ya know......
    This was on a decently travelled raod that would have tourist. I am sure it freaked some out.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

OC rifle carrying works for me.
    Last edited by OD*; June 11th, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
    OD* and glockman10mm like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Let's see ...

Heading from point A to B, but don't have a car trunk with which to do it. Living in rural areas where it's common practice. Living in a community which, even if not rural, views it as common practice. (Time was, when this sort of thing was a nearly daily occurrence, where I grew up. Do that these days and in many places you'll end up arrested, on principle, lawful arrest or not.) Heading to or from a hunting or range session. Heading out to the "back 40" for a bit of plinking. Walking back from the gun shop, where a rifle purchase was just made. Preference to be better armed than with a mere sidearm (and we've all heard the sentiment of having a sidearm to allow one to get to one's rifle). In many states, it's also lawful and completely within our rights as citizens to do ... and to not be harassed for doing so.

I'm sure there are others, but there are many reasons why a given person might choose to do it.
    Where I live it is not uncommon but then I will never live in a city or the suburbs.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by ItalianSteel View Post
    What is up with the seemingly double standard of opinions on OC when it comes to handguns and rifles? OCing a handgun is "just exercising your rights," or "not a big deal" yet OCing a rifle is either "a political statement," or "just plain stupid." .
    I can promise you, there is no double standard from me..... I don't care for either. But its a very interesting point, going to fun to watch this one. I'm loving seeing OC'ers feeling the same about rifles as I do about pistols! I think you are right, you shouldn't be for one and not support the other

...if it's legal...that's all the reason anyone needs...same with OC of a handgun...do it legally and that's the only answer you need give...by law...folks, including LEOs, just need to realize the law says what it says because enough folks wanted it that way...so leave them alone...and do what you want with yours...I've been in an OC state...never caused a problem, policed there...never HAD a problem...just don't mess with the man who's conducting himself within the law of the land, whether you happen to agree with him or not....

I'm loving seeing OC'ers feeling the same about rifles as I do about pistols! I think you are right, you shouldn't be for one and not support the other
    The only post I have seen were that some said they might heighten their SA and that it is unusual to see folks with rifles. I have not seen a post yet by someone who supports OC say anything unusual about. Certainly none have said that rifles should not be OC'ed that have identified themselves as OC'ers.

Went hiking all afternoon just last Saturday and toted this M1 Carbine along. Of course it was on our own place.
    ccw9mm, OD*, Badey and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links