what level of retention

what level of retention

This is a discussion on what level of retention within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; what level of retention does your open carry holster have and why do you feel this level is appropiate?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: what level of retention

Question what level of retention

what level of retention does your open carry holster have and why do you feel this level is appropiate?

VIP Member
    Who wants to know?

I OC in several different holsters, all of which have some sort of retention, from a Serpa to a leather holster with a thumb strap. I have no idea what level each of these are and don't care. Most of the time when I OC it's like I'm carrying Claude Raines...

I dont OC but if I did i would use the same holster we used in the department because I am familiar with it and I am comfortable with it. I want to say it was a lvl III but i am not sure
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I OC while waiting for my CCDW (really? This long to exercise a right?) and I use a Blackhawk Serpa Level 2 - at least that's what it said on the package. I used to use an iTac which actually fits my Glock much better (the 19 rattles around a bit in the Blackhawk), but I could yank the gun out of the holster. I use the Blackhawk Level 2 because it gives me the security of knowing that no one is going to successfully grab my sidearm and it isn't going to fall out if I need to run after my 4 year old. After some dry practice, drawing is easy and unobstructed.

I prefer some kind of retention to make sure the weapon stays put. I plan on getting a Kangaroo Air Marshal with the retention strap and some kind of tuckable IWB holster.

I have a level 2 iTac that I use when I OC.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    The rare occasions that I OC (usually while hunting, hiking, etc), I use a Level 2 Safariland ALS.

An attempt at a gun-grab during these activities is beyond remote, so the main reason is simply to keep it from coming out in the event of some unexpected motion, aka falling down a hill

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warpig76 View Post
    and why do you feel this level is appropiate?
    I like and use the iTAC roto holster.

1) The level of retention depends on what I am doing and where I am. (i.e) In a large bunched up crowd I don't OC... period. I don't care if the gun is held with epoxy glue!
    I don't need that much attention.

2) Walking/hiking in the woods etc; retention is nothing more than a way to secure the weapon from falling out.

3) I have a Galco OWB NON-retention holster for many uses as well...my shirt hangs over it giving some CC attributes, but to me, a quick tuck of the shirt and I'm OC'ing.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    If and when I OC the Serpa level 2 gets put on.

Heres another vote for the Blackhawk Serpa Level 2
    My MP40 fits in it great! No rattling, no sliding around and no sticking points.

The trigger lock just provides that extra comfort knowing it is not going to get removed from my possession without my knowledge.

I also use the Serpa, it's a level 2 retention.

Friction fit (like most holsters) over the trigger guard, and a release button that encourages you to naturally index the frame. I use this when I OC and when I CC OWB.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

thanks for the replies.I like the serpas but they dont have one for my cw9.Does anyone else make that type of holster?

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    The rare occasions that I OC (usually while hunting, hiking, etc), I use a Level 2 Safariland ALS.

An attempt at a gun-grab during these activities is beyond remote, so the main reason is simply to keep it from coming out in the event of some unexpected motion, aka falling down a hill
    Falling down a hill is not tactically sound behavior.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Falling down a hill is not tactically sound behavior.
    Depends on what's at the top of the hill...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

I use level 2 and 3 Safariland holsters for the reasons of reliability, not obvious lock mechanisms, and no Tex Grebner style tendency towards me shooting a hole in my leg on the draw. A nice bonus of Safariland's for those who care is that they are lined with some sort of leather type material which greatly reduces holster wear.
    TN_Mike likes this.

When I open carry it is in a holster that is Level II or greater. I think the realistic possibility of a gun grab is fairly minor but, I still will not OC in less than a Level II.
    Harryball likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links