So I never open carry, except in my home but I still had an experience yesterday :)

This is a discussion on So I never open carry, except in my home but I still had an experience yesterday :) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had a root canal yesterday morning and got home and I wear my Glock 19 even when I am home but I will ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: So I never open carry, except in my home but I still had an experience yesterday :)

So I never open carry, except in my home but I still had an experience yesterday :)

So I had a root canal yesterday morning and got home and I wear my Glock 19 even when I am home but I will not wear my outside "cover" shirt unless/until I leave the house, but as I was having a reaction to the anesthetics they used I was not planning on leaving the house for anything - in fact I called in to work. Then all the sudden a knock at the door. It was a lady from the neighborhood going door to door asking people if they had seen her lost Yorky.

I told her that I had had a root canal and just got back a short while ago and had not seen her dog and at that time she just sort of froze for a second. I realized she had seen my Glock on my side. At that point she could not get away from my house quickly enough lol. I was standing inside my own house in my doorway the entire time mind you, but she wanted away heheh. I called out to her as she walked to my next door neighbor how to let her know if I did see the dog later on, and she called back to me as she kept walking "call the pound"

I think that was probably the first time she had ever seen someone in real life wearing a firearm and she definitely was unnerved by it. Either that or she was a progressive anti-type.

Guess those are the reactions I try to avoid by always carrying concealed. It is a shame though if you ask me.
    Badey, Starsnbars and 357and40 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I would probably have thrown on a cover shirt before answering the door, but I doubt that I would have been around a firearm while having a reaction to anesthetics.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

If I answer the door I'll have a gun, but I might not have pants let alone a cover shirt

Should have kept the firearm locked up if you were having a reaction.
    wdbailey likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    If I answer the door I'll have a gun, but I might not have pants let alone a cover shirt
    Sounds kinky
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I don't think the OP did ANYTHING wrong, but this is an example of how SA can fail. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I don't think the OP did ANYTHING wrong, but this is an example of how SA can fail. Just sayin'...
    I don't necessarily think that the OP did anything wrong. It is, after all, HIS house and he should be able to determine whether or not he's in condition to handle a firearm. I'm just saying what I would have done. Maybe the lady that showed up at his door has an aversion to guns in general or maybe she has an aversion to people who have guns and admit that they just had a root canal performed.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Some people (like the neighbor who badly reacted) live in abject fear and ignorance, on certain things. Very common. All the more common, for the flames being fanned by those who want to destroy the liberties of the rest of us and want the mob fearful and ignorant.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Jeeze.. I said I was having a reaction.. quickened heart beat and such, I didn't say I was incapable of handling a firearm or impaired in any way... Also I live alone. So no one else in the house either or reason to ever "put my firearm up"

Just for clarifications sake.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I don't necessarily think that the OP did anything wrong. It is, after all, HIS house and he should be able to determine whether or not he's in condition to handle a firearm. I'm just saying what I would have done. Maybe the lady that showed up at his door has an aversion to guns in general or maybe she has an aversion to people who have guns and admit that they just had a root canal performed.
    I said that. But -he- seemed to feel it was a bit of a face palm moment, IDK. The thing is he forgot he was OCing, he didn't lock up his gun when he was having a reaction, he didn't have good awareness. Being able to have good SA when it counts can be problematic. It's just a part of the 'right approach', and it's important to realize that any one aspect has a failure rate (though maybe, rarely).

You should have yelled out "he was delicious" as she scooted away.

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"

You were drunk BigPony, fess up! You shouldn't have been waiving your Glock in that poor lady's face either!

Yea, I don't know what you could have done differently. Just make a note that one particular neighbor is afraid of her neighbors being armed. How does she know you're not an off duty LEO or agent?

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPony View Post
    Jeeze.. I said I was having a reaction.. quickened heart beat and such, I didn't say I was incapable of handling a firearm or impaired in any way... Also I live alone. So no one else in the house either or reason to ever "put my firearm up"

Just for clarifications sake.
    I've had several root canals & other dental surgeries. But, I have never been affected in a way that hurt my ability to handle a firearm or even drive myself home afterwards. Novacaine doesn't affect you negatively and nitrous oxide wears off fairly fast. Pain pills can affect a persons ability & judgement. But, for some people they have no noticeable affect on a persons ability to function normally.

-

Big Pony are you sure you were zipped up?
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    I've had several root canals & other dental surgeries. But, I have never been affected in a way that hurt my ability to handle a firearm or even drive myself home afterwards. Novacaine doesn't affect you negatively and nitrous oxide wears off fairly fast. Pain pills can affect a persons ability & judgement. But, for some people they have no noticeable affect on a persons ability to function normally.

-
    I'm a big coward. I do IV sedation and hydrocodone. So, I'm pretty much useless the rest of the day. I feel good though.
    blitzburgh and GSDSchutzhund like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links