My first run-in with an open carrier

This is a discussion on My first run-in with an open carrier within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day, I was out in the yard plinking with my Rossi 1892 clone. Hey, I can shoot .38 Special reloads cheaper than I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: My first run-in with an open carrier

The other day, I was out in the yard plinking with my Rossi 1892 clone. Hey, I can shoot .38 Special reloads cheaper than I can .22LR these days! Anyways, an older gentleman with his wife on a 3-wheel motorcycle pulls into the yard. The gentleman says he used to live here and was looking around for an old cream separator that used to be on the farm out here he'd like to get back. I didn't have any problem with that so we looked around some of the old buildings but didn't come up with anything. Anyways, I noticed he was carrying a 1911 on his hip. I guess I'm not an open carrier myself but this IS Wyoming and I don't think anyone else around here cares if a fellow is packing concealed, open or otherwise! No issues with that. What I did have an issue with was the crappy Uncle Mikes nylon contraption he had it stuffed in. I didn't want to say anything since it's none of my business what equipment he uses but really, can we come up with nothing better than Uncle Mikes junk? Has anybody else ever run into an open carrier, noticed substandard gear and felt compelled to say something but didn't? I mean, I kind of feel like I should mention that there are a lot better rigs out there but then again, not really any of my business either.
    mgillitzer likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I was issued an Uncle Mikes holster at work. We had nothing but problems with them! The thumb snaps kept breaking. Finally I had enough and bought a safariland. I own 3 safariland holsters and all of my gear on my duty belt is now safariland. I just bought a Kimber Warrior and absolutely refuse to put it in a cheap holster! I am looking at a Mitch Rosen holster for it but can't make up my mind which one to get! The one I wanted will not work with a gun that has a rail

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Honestly, I have never met an open carrier. TN here.

Im pretty sure that I would not comment on another mans rig. It might be all he could afford.

I WOULD size the person up in part on their gear, bearing, how they carried themselves, were they situationally aware, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Im pretty sure that I would not comment on another mans rig. It might be all he could afford.
    That is the right answer. We have no more right to belittle someone's choice of equipment (let alone confront him on that choice) than we do to disparage his/her choice of mode of carry. I realize it's human nature to want to feel superior to other human beings. We really need to try to fight that instinct. We are all gun owners and most of us are carriers. Let's concentrate on what we have in common, not what divides us.

Carry on.

All the open carriers I have seen (MS) have had kydex or some slick leather rigs. We love our guns for the most part.

Interesting observation, and I'll have to add my own that most of the guys I see open carrying at Wal-Mart are using a soft nylon, generic-type holster that's flopping loosely as they walk. Maybe that's the type Wal-Mart attracts, I can't say. Conversely, the people I've run into carrying openly at the bank or supermarket or even the auto parts store have substantial holsters that carry the guns snugly.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Funny, I'm over here on the other end, spending too much money on cool holsters when I exclusively conceal.
    Eagleks, msgt/ret and smolck like this.
    ,____,
    //' British Agent
    "
    "Happiness is a warm Gun."

Quote Originally Posted by USMCGrunt View Post

Anyways, I noticed he was carrying a 1911 on his hip. No issues with that. What I did have an issue with was the crappy Uncle Mikes nylon contraption he had it stuffed in. I kind of feel like I should mention that there are a lot better rigs out there but then again, not really any of my business either.
    Sounds more like you avoided a run-in.

Nice to see that carry in WY is a no-brainer and non-issue, mostly. Pretty much what I've seen and heard others say. About as common as having mud on your shoes or hay in the pickup bed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Phaedrus's Avatar
    I've never seen anyone OC'ing except in the field during hunting season. We're talking South Dakota. OC is legal but it's also a "Shall issue" state where everyone that's not a criminal can get a CCW permit for $10. Beyond that, what can I say? I'd no more belittle a guy for his cheap holster than for his cheap shoes. I have a pretty low opinion of OC but I'm not freaked out by it, just don't consider it a great idea. If I was to make any comment it might be a polite inquiry as to what kind of 1911 he was packing. If he's an older guy and into 1911s he probably doesn't need my advice on holsters, so I wouldn't give any unless he asked.

That said, I'd look for any excuse to plug the Garrett Industries Silent Thunder STX 2.0 to him! I'm a huge fan of the service and the products, and as a happy customer I like to proselytize in a low key way.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

I use a Blackhawk for my 1911, I find it cheap and reliable.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

I know a few that use them for range use. But for carry duty I wouldnt. I use Galco Don Hume and Bianchi products. Decent products and prices for the most part.

VIP Member
    I was in Bass Pro on Friday and of course had to wander over to the gun section....

There were a man and woman looking for holsters and from their conversation I could tell that they were newbie gun owners. The store employee was really pushing the Redhead (BP brand) cheap nylon holsters.

I soooooo wanted to butt in and steer them towards the leather Bianchi or even the Blackhawks that were there.

But didn't.

"I" would just be glad it wasn't "Mexican Carry"

I regularly steer people to good holsters & belts when I hear a salesperson trying to sell them junk. I tick off a LOT of salespeople.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links