MN Automobile Carry Question (Have Carry Permit)

This is a discussion on MN Automobile Carry Question (Have Carry Permit) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I'm new here and new to CCW/Carrying. I recently got my permit and carry concealed in Minnesota. I own a small custom motorcycle ...

Thread: MN Automobile Carry Question (Have Carry Permit)

MN Automobile Carry Question (Have Carry Permit)

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to CCW/Carrying. I recently got my permit and carry concealed in Minnesota. I own a small custom motorcycle shop and decided tonight to weld up a clip for my IWB holster, that hangs under my steering wheel.

I am wondering if anyone knows the MN laws well enough to tell me whether it is actually legal for me to hang my firearm openly under my steering wheel like that?

I am aware of the transportation laws requiring a firearm to be cased, and unloaded both mag and chamber, with ammunition in a separate compartment of the vehicle, however this does not apply when carrying with a permit. With that being said, I do not know if i must have the firearm on my body or not when in the vehicle, I know you can put it in the glove box/center counsel, so my assumption is that I can hang it under the steering wheel...however it would be a stupid violation if this is not true and I found out the hard way.

If anyone knows please reply

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...carry-faq.aspx

I am aware of the transportation laws requiring a firearm to be cased, and unloaded both mag and chamber, with ammunition in a separate compartment of the vehicle, however this does not apply when carrying with a permit.
    Only for states that do NOT have reciprocity with MN.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. If you want, I can refer you to several MN lawyers who are familiar with MN gun laws.

My understanding of MN carry laws says that the firearm does not need to be on your person, just within your control. I am sure that you already know that the MN permit to carry does not specify 'concealed' so open carry is perfectly legal for a permit-holder. so - visible and within your control, you should be good to go.

But

As my first MN PTC instructor was fond of saying - you do not want to be a test case, test cases are for other people. This would definitely be a test case. you are counting on any potential interaction with law enforcement to be with a well-informed law enforcement officer. My advice (worth every penny you paid for it) is to either have it on your person or have it out of sight. Most of all, contact a lawyer for legal advice if you intend to proceed.

Welcome to the forum!

Take a look at Handgunlaw.us
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links