OC'd for first time today

This is a discussion on OC'd for first time today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't want to, but . . . So, my church meets in a school on Sunday mornings, hence, no carrying. Because of that, instead ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gtv

Thread: OC'd for first time today

I didn't want to, but . . .

So, my church meets in a school on Sunday mornings, hence, no carrying. Because of that, instead of using my IWB and my XDSC, on Sundays I carry my G23 in a Remora holster. When I pull into the parking lot I just lock the entire thing up, and then take it out when we leave. However, earlier today, we had a leadership lunch at a restaurant that features a gunbuster sign. (the only time I eat there is when there's a church meeting and that's where they choose to go). On the way home, I decided to stop and get a pepsi, so I pull out my G23 and slide it and the holster into the waistband at the small of my back.

Have I forgot to mention that it's currently 115 degrees, and my gun has now been locked up in a car that's been sitting in the sun for six hours?

I got right about to the front door of the store, and just about whipped the gun out there, holster and all, as it was literally burning the skin on my back! I finally made it to the bathroom and pulled out the holster. Luckilly my Remora is an IWB/OWB holster, so I resituated it on the outside at the 3 o'clock position. Great! except that now it's burning my side!

That's when I finally said screw it, pulled my shirt up and tucked it between the gun and my skin, then walked back out into the store.

Honestly, it felt like I was carrying for the first time all over again. Wasn't used to the weight distribution so I wanted to keep checking it (never did since I knew it was just not being used to it), felt like everyone was staring at me (rationally, I knew they weren't), and had to keep reminding myself not to bump it when I was going for my wallet or even just moving my right arm.

All that said, I've learned a few lessons.

(1) If I ever want to OC, it's something i'd need to commit too, just like CC'ing, otherwise my uncomfortability becomes a hindrance.
    (2) A good OC holster is just as much, if not more important than an IWB holster
    (3) The air-conditioning in the car is not for me or my wife, it's too cool off the gun before I CC.

VIP Member
    You think the Glock burns, try it with a metal frame gun! Been there and have the burn scar to show for it!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I wouldn't want to live where I couldn't carry in church or despite gun buster signs.

OP thanks for posting. Your point about committing to it is indeed 100% correct. I had a similar situation (though, not with a gun that was on fire) and felt a bit awkward as well.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

One of the nicer things about Arizona, most places you don't get the stink-eye for carrying openly. Glad it went easily for you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

What? You mean to tell us that you weren't harassed by every Tom, Dick and Harry you came across??? And that none of the local LEO's stopped you and questioned you on why you were carrying a gun openly, where you were going, what your business was in that area, etc??? I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell ya!!!

I love full sweat shields, on holsters. Nice, cool leather. Far better than 2nd degree burns ... I just hate those.

With the right selection of holster and mode of carry, it can be easy enough to flip between CC and OC if needed. Bummer, that you needed to get burned, there. 115 degrees means that gun had to be smokin' hot (after 6yrs inside the car). I'm wincing just thinking about that. Look on the bright side, though: you're not in Death Valley; and, you can acquire a holster with a decent sweat (heat) shield.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

gtv
    Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    And some BG didn't single you out, shoot you, and take your openly displayed firearm to use for nefarious purposes? I mean, isn't that what happens to people who OC? I hope you bought a Powerball ticket to go with that Pepsi, because it was most certainly your lucky day.

[/sarcasm]
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I wouldn't want to live where I couldn't carry in church or despite gun buster signs.

OP thanks for posting. Your point about committing to it is indeed 100% correct. I had a similar situation (though, not with a gun that was on fire) and felt a bit awkward as well.
    Since the church is in a middle-school, it'd be the same in pretty much all fifty states. Gunbuster signs do suck, but I guess, weighed against Arizona's law that allows concealed carry without a permit, I'll take it.

-----------------

Maybe I should think about getting a remora holster that has a full sweatshield for my Glock. That' help. Oh, and as for the cops around here, there's a better chance that I would've been reamed out for not carrying it in a better holster or for only having 13+1 rounds with me than for actually having the gun if a cop saw me. Despite the heat, I do love this state!

Woo! Glad you got to have a little OC experience. Don't be shy to try it some more!

You're definitely right about it being a completely different animal. It's pretty easy to adjust to CC from OC but going the other way is a bit more difficult naturally (mostly mental). I have Blackhawk Serpa OWB holsters for both my M9 and PX4, great retention holsters. I started with the belt system but now I favor the paddle instead (it comes with both), easier to slip on in a pinch.

It's kind of funny going from OC to CC and "worrying" about printing. Someone who usually doesn't care it's out there, now going "...hmmm is it showing at all? maybe if I...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    Since the church is in a middle-school, it'd be the same in pretty much all fifty states. Gunbuster signs do suck, but I guess, weighed against Arizona's law that allows concealed carry without a permit, I'll take it.

-----------------

Maybe I should think about getting a remora holster that has a full sweatshield for my Glock. That' help. Oh, and as for the cops around here, there's a better chance that I would've been reamed out for not carrying it in a better holster or for only having 13+1 rounds with me than for actually having the gun if a cop saw me. Despite the heat, I do love this state!
    I know CC in schools here and Arkansas, it's legal ... if no sign. And beginning July 1 here, it is no longer a crime of any kind to carry past a sign if they don't have "adequate security measures" (metal detectors, guard to check people, etc.). Just remember , the license has to be issued by the state in which the school is.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links