Today reminded me why I enjoy open carrying...

This is a discussion on Today reminded me why I enjoy open carrying... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I open carry just about every day, wherever it is possible to do so. While I don't carry with the sole purpose of "drawing attention" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Today reminded me why I enjoy open carrying...

Today reminded me why I enjoy open carrying...

I open carry just about every day, wherever it is possible to do so. While I don't carry with the sole purpose of "drawing attention" or "making a statement," I sure don't mind the added benefit of furthering the reinforcement of the 2A. I'm always courteous and respectful, decently dressed, and rather nonchalant about it.

I had recently got my Blackhawk Serpa for the PX4 Storm (fits my Compact fine, with room to spare), decided to test it out while I went about my errands this afternoon. (Don't worry M9... you're not being replaced! )

My day started with some late lunch, decided to go to the Chikfila. I sat down at the nearest empty table, which happened to be across an older gentleman wearing a Korean War vet hat. We briefly made eye contact and I saw him notice my firearm and give me a smile/nod, which I returned. We never exchanged words, but I got the impression he was pleased to see the younger generations exercising their rights (ones he fought to preserve I take it).

Upon leaving the restaurant, I was walking past the drive-thru lane to get to my car and noticed the drive-thru was full of LEOs grabbing a bite to eat (must have been a shift change). The one in front was facing my strong side and he noticed my firearm and gave me a friendly wave from inside his vehicle, which I waved back. The most amusing part was the puzzled look from the couple that were on their way in and passing by me at the same time. It almost looked like a, "a man dressed in shorts and a plain shirt with a gun on his hip... and the cop is acting NICE to him?!" At this point I was already like wow.. this is pretty neat! Usually OC days are uneventful, or just a few evil eyes and nothing more.

Next stop on the journey, Lowe's for some wood filler (and tools I don't need but want anyways). There was a family that entered the same time I did and I noticed the husband was "curious" seeming about me (not in a bad way). I went about my business and just happened to pass by them a few times in the aisles. After the third time he asked me, "anyone ever give you a hard time about carrying like that?" I told him that actually responses tend to be quite favorable and we had a conversation for a bit. Turns out, he's the founder of NCSilencer.com and the primary supplier for Hickok45's suppressor needs! I had actually contacted him several months back about what I would need to do in order to get the BATF ball rolling on Class III items (which I need to do still).

Final stop, Starbucks. I looked for signs because well... I know the "hipsters" like to go there and thought maybe Starbucks might cater to them and their Liberal mentalities (I mean no offense, just pointing out what I notice). No gunbuster signs, so I went in. The lady that took my order was the manager (her name tag gave it away), so I decided to ask if she knew Starbucks stance on the 2A. She said that Starbucks has no stand on the matter and leaves it to the states (meaning if you can OC/CC you're fine, no signage policy). Good to know they're 2A friendly! Got my drink and headed back home.

This account is just one of the many (favorable) ones I have had while open carrying. I can't remember any "bad" encounters really. Sure, I do get the "look" sometimes from antis, but I just smile and shrug it off. I really do enjoy the 2A/gun convos it sparks with people, some curious, other enthusiasts. Several people gave me the impression they'd consider OC more because "it doesn't seem to be a big deal" from how I handle it. Others are surprised when they learn you can "just holster a gun on your hip and go about your business, without a permit!" I think it's good the people get educated properly and if this is the impetus for it, so be it.

2. Remove Ads

Great story!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Life Member

Sounds like a good day. I can legally OC in my city. But, I have not yet because I am nervous about having to have LEO interactions of MWAG calls. In the rest of my state it would be most likely unnoticed if one OCs. But here in Omaha, the "big city" LEO may frown on it.
    Nebraska12 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

In WA state where I live OC is legal. The Starbuck's of WA are friendly to OC folks. Cease Fire of WA has tried to bring Starbucks over to the dark side but have had no luck.
    Pinot and carracer like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

State vs. Huntley is the case law you'd like to see for MWAG/GATTOP not being applicable to a responsible gun owner simply going about with a holstered firearm.

Key quotes from it:

"For any lawful purpose--either of business or amusement--the citizen is at perfect liberty to carry his gun. It is the wicked purpose, and the mischievous result, which essentially constitute the crime."
    "A man may carry a gun for any lawful purpose of business or amusement."
    "It is to be remembered that the carrying of a gun, per se, constitutes no offense."

VIP Member
    Good on ya Italian, more the better.

I'm a firm believer in getting the masses acclimated to good guys with guns.
    ItalianSteel likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The only "statement' OC needs to make is: "I'm armed and prepared to defend myself." I think most if not all of the fear of OC is fear itself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    In WA state where I live OC is legal.
    What side of the mountains do you live? I am on the west side and am not sure I would OC. Too many liberals out here. I wouldn't want to deal with MWAG shenanigans. I am considering getting a belt holster and was considering whether I should pay extra for the design option for the times I might actually wear it openly. Otherwise why bother when no one will ever see it.

VIP Member
    Me being from Maryland this sounds like heaven .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I OC all the time in my neck of the woods and generally get similar responses.

The Publix I'm close to has an off duty cop in there during business hours and I haven't had a single one say something. I actually noticed one time where the manager got the cop and brought him to where he could see me ordering my sandwich and it was obvious the officer told him I was breaking no laws and all he can do is ask me to leave. He never did and I carry OC there all the time now. I had another guy ask me what I carried and then who I was with and I just responded "myself" and he goes oh wow and you can just carry a gun out on the open like that? I told him with a valid ga weapons permit and he said ok I'm going I have to look into that. +1 for the good guys

Home Depot has never been an issue, neither has Wally World or any QuickTrip gas station. I usually OC when I walk my dog around the block too. Never had any issues.
    ccw9mm likes this.

Pro
    I'm jealous, I don't even have the OPTION here. :(
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member

Italiansteel, your experience is pretty much the same that I get when I OC around here in West Tennessee. It is a non-event. Occasionally I will get a thumbs up or someone who wants to ask something, usually along the lines of "I'd like to OC too. What do you have to do or have to do it?"

I have not had a bad OC experience yet and I have OC'ed for almost a decade now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I recently got to teach a recent Chinese immigrant about 2nd amendment and OC/CC as she thought only cops could carry guns. She was very nice and understanding, and above all else curious.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Quote Originally Posted by WINTEJER000 View Post
    I recently got to teach a recent Chinese immigrant about 2nd amendment and OC/CC as she thought only cops could carry guns. She was very nice and understanding, and above all else curious.
    When you say "chinese" I'm going to assume mainland China in my post . . .

And that's the best thing that can happen. When those that come from repressive governments learn that the rights in the US give them the same ability as their government to defend themselves, the 2A will continue to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemsaal View Post
    When you say "chinese" I'm going to assume mainland China in my post . . .

And that's the best thing that can happen. When those that come from repressive governments learn that the rights in the US give them the same ability as their government to defend themselves, the 2A will continue to live.
    yes from the mainland. and go figure it was at a Chinese/Cantonese restaurant
    atctimmy and OD* like this.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links