Is open carry a bad idea?

This is a discussion on Is open carry a bad idea? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've read several articles today regarding open carrying in public. As you can assume, there are mixed views like with anything else. Some articles suggest ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: Is open carry a bad idea?

Is open carry a bad idea?

I've read several articles today regarding open carrying in public. As you can assume, there are mixed views like with anything else. Some articles suggest that openly carrying makes you a prime target for criminals and attackers. I say the opposite, most criminals are looking for an easy score- a victim, and someone with a gun on their hip is obviously not an easy target. Not to mention criminals who rob stores usually aren't highly intelligent and assume you're a cop because you have a gun.

It seems to make some people uncomfortable and draw attention, which is annoying. Plus it provokes people to ask you questions.

What are some of you guys' views on OC?

2. Remove Ads

I paid good money for my CC permit. So that's just what I do. OC is a deterrent I know for a fact. It's just not for me. I've got my reasons but I'll not share them here.

Now perhaps you could answer a question of mine. How is it you chose as your handle the word Illuminati??
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I chose that name based on my philosophical beliefs (not the belief that the government is run by Jewish bankers or that the Freemasons control everything). The belief in the advancement of human kind for a greater good. But this isn't a philosophical forum, so I won't get too much into that.

I, myself would prefer concealed carry, but as of now OC is my only option. In my state you have to be 21 for a CCDW, and I'm only 20. So it's either OC or NO C.

Also, I feel OC is great for a number of reasons. But, as I read in an article, do you think it shoves the fact that you can OC with no license in the anti's faces? Would that provoke them to try to regulate that as well?

A few days ago one of the old hands here related a story where one of his kin, a 24 yr old thought it would be funny to try to disarm the gentleman who while 60 something is a former United States Marine.

To say it went badly for the 24 yr old would be a classic understatement. The 24 yr old got off pretty easy in my book.
    1- He's still alive.

2- He learned a valuable lesson. It cost him a broken nose.

3- He knows forever never ever to mess around with an old Marine.

This may not answer your question but it gives you an idea that folks who OC got a few tricks up their sleeves.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminati View Post
    Also, I feel OC is great for a number of reasons. But, as I read in an article, do you think it shoves the fact that you can OC with no license in the anti's faces? Would that provoke them to try to regulate that as well?
    I for one do not go out of my way to shove anything in the faces of anti's. I've met a few anti's and TBT I don't care for their ilk. Those people got their agenda and I got mine.
    tdave likes this.

Back to your original question. The topic has already been pretty thoroughly hashed out. I think open carry is just fine depending on the circumstances. Open carry is legal in Tennessee. I see people do it all the time. Most people, like you, prefer to conceal. I use and OWB holster because it's the most comfortable, but I also have a cover garment like an untucked polo shirt. I don't worry about "printing" or the bottom of the holster peeking out if I bend over or raise an arm above my head to reach for something. I'm sure that on occasion there is a "peek" of a gun if somebody bothers to look. I've carried that way for almost four years now and I've never had one person say one thing anywhere. I think most people are so wrapped up in their own activities that they either don't notice or just don't care.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    I didn't do it, but I like the idea of OCing on July 4th. I'd like to see that become a nationwide tradition. An easy and appropriate date to celebrate our "rights", and demonstrate that to some of the sheeple.

I CC everyday; OC sometimes for hunting, metal-detecting, or mowing the grass on some property I own in the middle-of-nowhere.

I'm not against OC, except when the OCer is purposefully flaunting it/baiting the police or something similar, it becomes questionable then. His intentions can often become counter-productive.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I don't think its a bad idea depending on the context of where and how it is carried. One problem that I see is that many who open carry don't utilize a quality holster with some retention features. I also believe that anyone who chooses to legally open carry should do some weapon retention training. Once you have been in a life or death struggle to retain your weapon you will appreciate this, IF you survive!
    Zeebra724 likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, NC CWP, HR-218 Qualified
    Second generation American, Third generation Legionnaire
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I guess I am for OC...kinda on the fence with the issue
    carracer and pittypat21 like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

In fl no open carry. I lived in GA for a while an plenty of people opened carried no problems I am aware of. I think its great.

One must consider the unintended consequences of OC and weigh that against their perceived needs. And only that individual can make that decision.

I prefer not to allow my weapon to become a factor until I make that decision, and not let that decision be made by others.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I guess I am for OC...kinda on the fence with the issue
    I used to be totally against it. I still am in regards to attention seekers who do it for the sole purpose of alarming the public and aggravating police officers. But, at work I noticed how few people noticed or cared if open carry was done properly (i.e. just strap it on, don't make a big deal out of it, and go about your business) And OWB carry is certainly a lot more comfortable, at least for me. I still toss a cover garment over it, so I guess it's concealed somewhat.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    One must consider the unintended consequences of OC and weigh that against their perceived needs. And only that individual can make that decision.

I prefer not to allow my weapon to become a factor until I make that decision, and not let that decision be made by others.
    That explains in full why I never open carry under any circumstances. I never want it to become a factor in my interactions with others.
    NONAME762 and Glockwatcher like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

As a pastor, CC works much better for my daily activities than OC, for obvious reasons. However, if CC wasn't possible for me due to age laws or liberal nonsense, then I would probably be more favorable towards OC, perhaps not when at church but when I'm with my family at home or abroad. I will say one nice thing about OC is that there is no need to dress around your EDC, especially in summer!

Bottom line for me: if you can't CC but can OC, then by all means OC. As with CC, do it responsibly because the "awareness" level goes up a notch in my book when I OC:
    (1) While normal people may not notice, depending on the situation, BG's will generally notice you OC.
    (2) Depending on the BG and his motives, there's a 50/50 chance that you will be either a deterrent to a crime or a target for using your weapon in a crime.
    (3) Since we are not mom's and don't have eyes on the back of our heads, you must have a good retention system if you OC. Now, that may be just a really tight holster, but for me it would require some other retention features, especially since you may not be able to draw your EDC until after a brief struggle, which may involve a BG going for your EDC in its OC position.
    (4) Once you can get your CC permit, go for it! Safer in my book and yet still upholding the constitution's freedoms to us.
    Last edited by Zeebra724; July 9th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
    perfection likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links