This is a discussion on 1911 within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have a Sig 1911 and a Les Baer 1911? If so is the Baer that much better? PSE EVO 60 Lbs. Blacked out...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By oldman45

Thread: 1911

Anyone have a Sig 1911 and a Les Baer 1911?
    If so is the Baer that much better?

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Ex Member Array HillbilliesRule's Avatar
    Better fit, better trigger, better finish, just better in all categories but price. They both shoot well, the Les Baer just does it all a little better. IF you have the money the Baer is a great choice...but I do not consider the price difference to reflect the actual functional differences. It's like choosing a Ferrari over a Corvette to drive to the store. They will both get you there really freakin quick.

Sig is a fine company with fine guns...but their take on the 1911 does not impress me.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter28 View Post
    If so is the Baer that much better?
    IMO, yes they are.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I live in Baer country (Iowa). The guys around here (the well heeled ones, at least) have either a Baer or a Cylinder and Slide rig.

Have shot a C&S. I was way out of my league, like driving a Ferrari.

I could afford a SIG 1911 if I wanted one. A Baer would take a bit of saving up. But all hands agree, they are worth the time and money.

VIP Member
    Well it is kind of like cars. A Honda Civic will get you where you want to go, just like a Corvette will. The question is, which would you prefer to drive?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Sig is a fine company with fine guns...but their take on the 1911 does not impress me.
    Oh what would you know?

The only 1911 I've shot this century was a Kimber (Gasp!), and it shot very well (Gasp, gasp!). I'm just too cheap to fork over that much money for a firearm.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    IMO, yes they are.
    Do you own both or shot both side by side?

Thanks

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhunter28 View Post
    Do you own both or shot both side by side?

Thanks

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out
    I own Baers, have only shot the Sigs, never have owned one.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    I prefer Kimber. also have a Sig 1911. I use both as my EDC's, as for performance I say its a tie. dead on with no problems. like I said I do prefer Kimber own 5 of them

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    The only 1911 I've shot this century was a Kimber (Gasp!), and it shot very well (Gasp, gasp!). I'm just too cheap to fork over that much money for a firearm.
    That's deep.. Hmmmm... I guess that I could say that, maybe.. I dunno.. Which calendar are you using? Gregorian, Hebrew or Stardate?
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    FWIW: I have several of the upper end 1911 guns. I also have some mid range 1911 guns. Unless you are shooting a lot and often, it would be difficult to justify the extra money for a Baer or any of the top of the line.

I carry a 1911 in work and off work. It stays with me 100% of the time, even while at home. Yes, it is a pricey gun but I shoot more in a month than an avg shooter will in a year. I also trust my life to that gun. I have custom guns like Baer and Clark that stay home and could be considered safe queens.

Buy what you can afford and later on you might consider trading up when finances are improved.

It will still boil down to what you personally want, how much you can spend and what you will use it for. What any of us say is from a personal point of view and may not be suited to your needs.
    PaulRevered likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Gave my concept to my son, I can tell you they shoot awesome very tight. The sig is not bad just feels loose when shot but overall ok the springfield IMHO is a better mid priced .45 I only keep guns I can cc an a 1911 at my age is a brick.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Gave my concept to my son, I can tell you they shoot awesome very tight. The sig is not bad just feels loose when shot but overall ok the springfield IMHO is a better mid priced .45 I only keep guns I can cc an a 1911 at my age is a brick.
    No idea of your age but I am headed toward 70 very shortly and carry a 1911 all day long. Love the platform and love the guns. The guys I work with are getting up in years and they also carry a 1911.

Get a better belt and a good holster. They carry just fine.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Links