Personal Space while OCing

This is a discussion on Personal Space while OCing within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Nevada and I CC or OC depending on weather and clothing. I was in Walmart in the check out lane OCing wear ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Personal Space while OCing

I live in Nevada and I CC or OC depending on weather and clothing. I was in Walmart in the check out lane OCing wear dress shirt and slacks. Another customer was standing behind me within arms reach of my handgun, totally violating any sense of personal space. I notice this and continue to shift my body position to gain distance and also to place my body between him and my handgun. He neevr said a word to me and I never said a word to him. Have anybody experience this issue and how did you resolve it?

VIP Member
    Anytime your in crowds it is going to be almost impossible to maintain personal space. I keep my weak side to the person behind me.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Anytime your in crowds it is going to be almost impossible to maintain personal space. I keep my weak side to the person behind me.
    I'm left-handed, so this would be near impossible.. I guess another possible solution is to always have a cart and just stand in front of it in the check-out lane?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    You're assuming it's your personal space. Everyone else doesn't. Want your space protected? Shop when no one else does.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by landers81 View Post
    I live in Nevada and I CC or OC depending on weather and clothing. I was in Walmart in the check out lane OCing wear dress shirt and slacks. Another customer was standing behind me within arms reach of my handgun, totally violating any sense of personal space. I notice this and continue to shift my body position to gain distance and also to place my body between him and my handgun. He neevr said a word to me and I never said a word to him. Have anybody experience this issue and how did you resolve it?
    The customer has as much right to be there as do you. If you are paranoid to that extent, you may want to avoid OC and only carry CC, or just don't carry a gun at all.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    What makes you think that anyone near you would try to grab your gun? Would you also think that someone near you would try to take your glasses, your hat, or anything else that is easily removed ?
    oldman45 likes this.
    “A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
    ― Edward R. Murrow
    After all, when the Supreme Court twice comes within one vote of ruling that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Bill of Rights isn’t an individual right, Americans have a right to be concerned.

I usually cary about 3:30-4:00 when I have my shirt over my gun. If I OC then I slide it up to 3:00 and keep my weak side towards people I dont know.
    Tada gan irracht - Nothing without effort

I never said the other shopper didn't have the right to be shopping at Walmart. I understand there isn't anything I can do about personal space if I am in a crowded area. Every time I shift my body to so he was on my weak side he would shift his stance to get closer to my strong side. I am not paranoid he was going to grab my handgun but it is important to stay aware of your surrounding.
    carracer and squid86 like this.

VIP Member
    Walmart and personal space? I think you are lucky if you have any personal space in the aisles much less the crowded checkout area.
    XD40SCiinNC likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Not so much to protect a firearm but ive been known to accidentally on purpose step on someones foot. At 6 3 250 that normally gets me some space.
    Aceoky, BkCo1, NONAME762 and 3 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I have done that too Ghost. I works well.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

A few times, I've been in a queue of sorts when someone crowded the "personal space" barriers a bit. Turning the body and keeping the arm in a "protective" spot alongside the area helps keep things "guarded." No need to bring awareness/visibility to my carry status, just a bit of turning and keeping distance. Of course, in a queue, there's only so much distance one can obtain when someone else seems intent on crowding. At which point, a simple friendly engagement of the other often puts things at ease, helps to subtly "interview" the other, keeps the other at "speaking" distance (which can be outside the "crowding" distance some seem to have). Has worked well, for me, mostly.

At something less than 6'3", myself, my stepping on someone's foot isn't likely to get the same response, sadly. More's the pity.
    carracer likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You could always flatulate if someone is too close for comfort.
    Aceoky, squid86, Bad Bob and 4 others like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

You do have to be aware of your surroundings, but realistically there will be times when people will be within arm's reach of your weapon. Though it may not be common to have one snatched, it IS different than other personal items, in that it can be worth a great deal of money on the street, and can also be used to shoot the owner.

A retention holster might be a good idea.
    carracer likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member
    Best solution is just don't go to WM.
    NONAME762 and XD40SCiinNC like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links