About to join the OC party

This is a discussion on About to join the OC party within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well i just got my new OWB from winthrop holsters for my 229. Going to wear it but have a t shirt over the top. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: About to join the OC party

Well i just got my new OWB from winthrop holsters for my 229. Going to wear it but have a t shirt over the top. Definitely wont cover the whole gun but im not worried. Going to keep a log of any interactions in this thread. FYI i am in the Pittsburgh area in case others search for this.
    Snub44 and stylus like this.

Im guessing if a t shirt covers over half the gun nobody will notice it unless you make it a point to get them to notice.
    TN_Mike and Secret Spuk like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Im guessing if a t shirt covers over half the gun nobody will notice it unless you make it a point to get them to notice.
    Very true. Amazing how inattentive folks are.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Enjoy and stay safe!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    In my opinion, it does not matter so much how one carries as it does that they always carry. A sidearm is only good if you have it when you need it.

Carry constantly, stay safe.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    best of luck to you. you have you're LTCF too? dont want them to try to hastle you since it will be partially covered. OC is perfectly legal in PA just you need your LTCF to conceal it.
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    best of luck to you. you have you're LTCF too? dont want them to try to hastle you since it will be partially covered. OC is perfectly legal in PA just you need your LTCF to conceal it.
    Yes i do have my LTCF. My 229 feels better on the outside though.

Day 1. Pretty obvious what i had on me. Its not what i would call small. Walked the dog with my gf on the running trail by PNC park and Heinz Field. Went to dinner in southside Pittsburgh at a mongolian grill. Then got ice cream and walked the street for about 30 minutes in a VERY crowded area. Not a word said by anyone. Kinda surprised personally.
    stylus, Badey and sanfordreed like this.

Thanks for the update. Glad it is going well!
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Nice thread, I will be monitoring this daily, i'm curious to hear how the general public react to you. I may just do something similar myself after august 1st when alabama statute is worded so there is no confusion as to whether OC is legal.

Thanks for the thread.
    Sara Lou
    Just because i'm paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get me....

I detest IWB carry. My larger sized carry guns are an M&P compact 9, and G 19s.

I went to our local summerfest, and carried a G 19, OWB in a bladetech paddle holster, with sort of a bowling shirt open, but over it. Wind was blowing a bit, and while I didnt try to display anything, I also didnt really care very much. It was legal for me to carry, etc.

Never got one second look from anyone. I have come to the conclusion that people see guns all the time on the "street". Most likely from LE. So its the person and their actions that draw attention, or not.

A respectable looking person, going about their business, not acting crazy, or waving a gun, or whatever, I dont think bothers people as much as we might think.

How many times have YOU seen someone with a gun, but simply assumed that they were LE? I think that happens more often than we think.

Picked up a new galco gunbelt today. Cant be wearing a $1k gun with a 9.99 belt. And it was sagging a bit. Damn this belt is stiff, yet comfortable.

Welcome to comfortable carry. Glad to hear you got a good belt, definitely needed for owb carry with a heavy gun. I'll let ya know that you should get use to nothing happening. I use to OC a P226(without a t-shirt over it) and most people never noticed.

Keep carrying how you want. Concealed, kind of concealed, or open, it doesn't matter as long as you're legal and you're carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffInPA View Post
    Picked up a new galco gunbelt today. Cant be wearing a $1k gun with a 9.99 belt. And it was sagging a bit. Damn this belt is stiff, yet comfortable.
    As long as you're wearing boxers and shooting your gun sideways, there's not problem with that.
    Truckdriver, Badey and carracer like this.

Welcome to the fold. I'm right up outside of New Castle. I open carry quite often. The only super negative encounter I had was in Pittsburgh. This was how it went:

There was a little learning going on that day.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links