New to Firearm Ownership

New to Firearm Ownership

This is a discussion on New to Firearm Ownership within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -If this post is in the wrong spot and needs moved, I understand. I'm one of the newbies here.- Growing up a lot of my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New to Firearm Ownership

New to Firearm Ownership

-If this post is in the wrong spot and needs moved, I understand. I'm one of the newbies here.-

Growing up a lot of my friends' parents owned firearms, and some of my friends had their own. So, I'm no stranger to a firearm. I am a newbie to the whole firearm ownership side of things. My parents were never against firearms, but they also never saw the need to own any growing up. They taught my sisters and I about the Constitution and it's importance, just never bought any guns.

Earlier this year I bought my first rifle, my wife's first pistol, and my first pistol. Up until me, my wife never fired a firearm, but that is an interesting story for another time (hint: found out firearms work same as jewelry ). Anyway, I have been kind of nervous about open carrying my pistol. I have been waiting to get my CHL (OH's version of CCW) before I open carry. The reason behind the wait is because in OH you can't transport a loaded weapon in your vehicle without a CHL. I would like to just get out of my car with my pistol already strapped to my side....I know...lazy.

Is there any Buckeyes in here, namely Dayton Area, that OC regularly? And what are the best OC areas, or at least usually don't put up much of a fuss? I have seen some businesses in the Beavercreek area that have that dumba** "No Weapons/Firearms Allowed", but have not seen too many in Riverside or Dayton Metro areas.

Thoughts anyone?

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    never have i ever seen anyone OC in the Dayton area except in gun stores, pawn shops and a few other businesses. a few employees of the LGS says they OC during lunch and once the workers got to know them it was OK.

i have also seen waffle house and bar security OC but once again they were working and most are off duty police officers.

i don't recommend OC in the city, it`s not the norm and i personally don't feel the need to make a statement. besides, some place have tiny/obscured no gun signs and you could be hassled for OCing if you don't catch the sign. wheres if you were CCing and you discover a sign you could just walk out.

of course you have every right to OC if you wish, i just don't recommend it. it`s not common for folks to just walk around with pistols in plain sight. but if you choose to do it i`d be interested to hear your experiences. good luck, stay safe.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I'm a Buckeye, but I have since moved to PA. I lived on the East side of the state, so I can't help with OC in Dayton. Just know the law, be polite, and carry a voice recorder (for interactions with LEO). Just my .02.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

The fact that OC in Ohio is not the norm is a problem in of itself. I wouldn't OC to make a statement, but it could help bring about awareness. A lot of times, if one does it, then others follow suit. It's not so much the people that concern me, but uninformed LEOs. Most LEOs I have ever come across (for various reasons of stupidity on my part) have been generally cool so long as you are cool with them.
    Badey likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Hi and welcome to the forum!

Just to be on the safe side, many keep their stuff "concealed". If we had OC here in SC I doubt I'd OC. The way I figure it, it's none of anybody's business what I'm concealing in my britches but God forbid if they want to find out!

(the element of surprise!)
    Stealth1978 and GhostMaker like this.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

I live in Columbus, but spend a decent amount of time in Western Ohio. I don't remember ever seeing anyone OC in Ohio with the exception of law enforcement or at a range. I assure you that upwards of 95% of Ohio LEOs understand that OC is legal, if you feel compelled to OC to raise their awareness my advice would be to find another outlet for your energies that might be more productive like devoting time to the NRA or Buckeye Firearms Association. Please note that if you try to visit Buckeye's website (www.buckeyefirearms.org) you may have difficulty for a few days, they have been hit by a Denial of Service attack that is allegedly connected to their support for Zimmerman.

Please understand I am not knocking your right to OC, I just don't see it as being particularly productive in meeting your stated goal of raising awareness among law enforcement. Welcome to the forum.

I didn't even know that OH was an OC State until earlier this year, from an Alabama site on FaceBook...lol. I did some research and sure enough I found out about OH. This will be an interesting journey.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebersa View Post
    I live in Columbus, but spend a decent amount of time in Western Ohio. I don't remember ever seeing anyone OC in Ohio with the exception of law enforcement or at a range. I assure you that upwards of 95% of Ohio LEOs understand that OC is legal, if you feel compelled to OC to raise their awareness my advice would be to find another outlet for your energies that might be more productive like devoting time to the NRA or Buckeye Firearms Association. Please note that if you try to visit Buckeye's website (www.buckeyefirearms.org) you may have difficulty for a few days, they have been hit by a Denial of Service attack that is allegedly connected to their support for Zimmerman.

Please understand I am not knocking your right to OC, I just don't see it as being particularly productive in meeting your stated goal of raising awareness among law enforcement. Welcome to the forum.
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not looking to raise awareness among LEOs. I'm looking to raise it among the people in general. As far as Buckeye Firearms Association, I am a new member on there under the same username as here. I got the email earlier about the website being down......bummer. I hope they fix it soon. I'm looking to get into some kind of volunteer work in the Gun Rights area. I want to do something more than just sit at my laptop. My problem is, is I work 6days/wk so Sunday is my only day off.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Open carry arrest in Ohio nets $3.6M lawsuit | GunsSaveLife.com

Here's the story of a man that was arrested at the Speedway at Valley and Harshman (Woodman/Needmore) in Riverside last year.

I OC every once in a great while, usually only around the Park Layne area if I've been out mowing or working around the property and already have an OWB holster on and have to run to the store or gas station. Never been a problem.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth1978 View Post
    Don't misunderstand me, I'm not looking to raise awareness among LEOs. I'm looking to raise it among the people in general. As far as Buckeye Firearms Association, I am a new member on there under the same username as here. I got the email earlier about the website being down......bummer. I hope they fix it soon. I'm looking to get into some kind of volunteer work in the Gun Rights area. I want to do something more than just sit at my laptop. My problem is, is I work 6days/wk so Sunday is my only day off.
    OCC often requests people to man their booth at the Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife show on Saturdays or Sundays...if you're looking to help.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I feel your pain, free time is hard to come by. One day I'll be retired.....

since you will have your CHL why don't you CC and then try OC at places that you feel will be acceptable. like at the LGS or at the pawn shop or maybe at a large retail who sells guns like gander mountain or wally world and gauge peoples reactions. just be careful where you set foot because your gun is there for all to see. some Krogers have no gun signs, the fifth third bank on brown has a tiny 2x2 sign at the door, the Chipotle has a sign on the bulletin board but not at the door, also on brown street.

i personally would not be alarmed to see a gun without a badge but again i carry so i'm really not the norm. i pretty much expect everybody to be armed.
    Last edited by technomonster; July 25th, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Technomonster, now that's an idea. I could CC to scout places to see if they have that dumba** sign. If they don't have that sign I'll take a mental note for next time. If they do have that sign, I take a mental note to maybe send the owner/manager an email regarding that sign, or just not do business there at all. I feel that if my gun is not welcome, then neither am I.
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member
    Find me on FaceBook - facebook.com/nelly0717

Technomonster, now that's an idea. I could CC to scout places to see if they have that dumba** sign. If they don't have that sign I'll take a mental note for next time. If they do have that sign, I take a mental note to maybe send the owner/manager an email regarding that sign, or just not do business there at all. I feel that if my gun is not welcome, then neither am I.
    i was thinking more along the lines of covering your gun most of the time with a outer shirt and then removing the cover garment when you are somewhere where you would like to experiment with OC. and covering it back up when you leave said area and need to be somewhere where the gun might draw unwanted attention. but CC and OC gear are often very different, good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Aceoky likes this.

Ahhh I see now....sorry I'm a little slow at times...lol. I do like the idea, and will test it out as soon as I have my CHL in hand. My wife and I are still waiting for the Sheriff to issue them. The "Waiting Game" is one game I'm very good at, but like the very least. The bright side is that there is usually a prize at the end....
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member
    Find me on FaceBook - facebook.com/nelly0717

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links