The Open Carry Visible To All

This is a discussion on The Open Carry Visible To All within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are many places where anyone can carry open for all to see. I believe AZ is us one state but I don't want to ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chessman

Thread: The Open Carry Visible To All

The Open Carry Visible To All

There are many places where anyone can carry open for all to see. I believe AZ is us one state but I don't want to waste time adding all the other states. There are open carry states allowing the US citizen to carry open while shopping in a Walmart without being "illegal" to do so. Let's go ahead of this into the "open carry" handgun and why we like what we like. I shall have to start.

I've seen the full size 1911s cocked and locked open in Arizona when I was in Fort Huachuca. I saw motorcycling enthusiasts carrying open while riding their prized bikes in the Arizona freedom. I saw what the US Army carried open while I was stationed in Fort Huachuca at the security gates and in the MPs.

On the one side the LE and MP are regulated to carry what is issued or required. LE used to carry .32 Long and then .38 Special and then .357 and then .40 with .45 and 9mm mixed in between departments of cities of different states. LE went auto and military is auto; all for "open carry."

I always liked the revolver. There was a time when the revolver in LE was the only choice. In my mind the best open carry, in the 1970s and 1980s was the .357 magnum common then. After that the autos took over. I love the autos I've seen open carried even back in the 1970s. The Sheriffs in Nevada carried Hi Powers in 9mm along with all sorts of revolvers from .38 to .45 in the 1970s. So you see the multiplicity of choices back then for LE to carry and be proficient with the sidearm of their choice acceptable to the county or, perhaps, department of the city.

I learned the handgun in 1970. I was too young to buy or own one. When it was time I bought a single action revolver in .44 magnum. It was supreme. That was 1977. The autos, for me, came later. In 1978 I bought an SW 59 in 9mm and felt that was fine. It jammed a lot and I sold it.

Forward to 2013 today for me to confess my favorite open carry side arm (cross draw):

It is the Colt Frontier Six Shooter (.44-40 WCF) and this one is the reproduction Colt did back some decade or years ago.

You see the target at 50 feet and the ammunition (old style without copper jackets) I shot using my right hand and left hand. Reloading is SLOW after the first cylinder is emptied, but, it is, to this day, the fastest gun in the West to draw and shoot with!

This is what I would carry in open public instead of any other. I feel safest with it.
    gottabkiddin and carracer like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Well written and a lot of accuracy in what you say. I was shocked when I read it because I was expecting it to be an anti OC rant. For some reason the OC section brings out a lot of anti OC threads but the CC section never gets any anti CC comments.

About the only thing I disagree with you on in your thread is carrying cross draw. A person can disarm you as they approach since their strong arm is on your off side so they just have to reach out since your gun is in a perfect position and angle to be grabbed. LEO detectives were once well know for cross draw carry. So many had their guns grabbed over the years, it is now not a suggested carry method.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    Nice very nice..

Administrator
    Nice Six Shooter. Great color case hardening.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    A person can disarm you as they approach since their strong arm is on your off side so they just have to reach out since your gun is in a perfect position and angle to be grabbed. LEO detectives were once well know for cross draw carry. So many had their guns grabbed over the years, it is now not a suggested carry method.
    ^^agreed, a friend of mine was carrying two obviously fake guns (cheap chromed plastic toys with molding lines and orange tip) as part of her costume. i was able to grab both fake revolvers, spin them and had them back in her cross draw holsters before she can react. granted, they were not real guns in real holsters, she was not a gun savvy lady and i would never of done it if the guns even remotely appeared to be real but it goes to illustrate how easy a gun could be snatched from a western style cross draw holster with no flap.

OC is not the norm around my parts of town but it were more accepted i would carry two 1911s in open top holsters for BBQ gatherings and USP expert in a retention holster for EDC along with a hidden BUG
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Nice looking gun and a pretty good post from an ex member.

Links