Man Walks Neighborhood With Rifle

This is a discussion on Man Walks Neighborhood With Rifle within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently there have been discussions about someone actually taking an interest in their own neighborhood and putting forth a plan of action in regards to ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree166Likes

Thread: Man Walks Neighborhood With Rifle

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

Recently there have been discussions about someone actually taking an interest in their own neighborhood and putting forth a plan of action in regards to keeping it safe from criminals bent on harming others; either it be a participant in a neighborhood watch program or just simply watching out for one's neighbor. In today's culture, there seems to be some hostility and or fear of the type of proactive person that wants to protect his/her community. I made a comment in another thread about how we are no longer the rugged men and women that tamed the west because our solution to everything is to call the police. I went on to say that that concern for our neighbor has been outsourced to calling 9-1-1. For those that insist on bucking today's "norm" and carry out a duty to serve his/her community, he/she runs the risk of being called a wannabe cop. As we can see from the video listed below, that person even runs the risk of having the police called on him/her.

What are your thoughts about this? Watch the video and offer your critique. How would you feel about someone walking around your neighborhood with a rifle? Although I can see how concern would be a normal reaction (depending on circumstances), I think its also somewhat of a sad commentary that some are completely ignorant about gun laws. At the end of the story, we are told that nothing was done to the gentleman because he had broken no laws. Can you imagine that? Guns have been demonized in this nation to the point that citizens believe a crime has been committed because 2A rights are so misunderstood and even feared.

Stealth1978 likes this.

HE approves:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

The kid wants to protect his neighborhood. If only more of his neighbors would follow suit.
    Assist Protect Defend
    Molon Labe
    ---
    BFA Member
    USCCA Member
    Find me on FaceBook - facebook.com/nelly0717

VIP Member
    Good on the kid, shame on the neighbor.
    1MoreGoodGuy and TN_Mike like this.

The kid could be of real service by getting after some of the deferred yard maintenance in that neighborhood.

Hmmm, bolt action rifle. Probably not the best choice in protection for a "neighborhood watch" position.

If more people openly were armed in their own neighborhoods, I'm sure more neighborhoods would become openly less critical and fearful of their neighbor citizens being capable of defending against crime.

Of course, there mere visibility of such things prompts some to claim it's bad, frightening, a precedent that'll lead to no real benefits, something that'll scare the children, etc etc. Wouldn't be so rare if folks simply started doing it more frequently. In some communities, it's not all that strange to see folks walking along doing whatever it is they do, while armed.

Imagine what a "service" all upstanding people could do if known for being heavily armed. Beats the occasional lawn mowing by the one being fingered as the "odd man out." I'd rather have that, any day of the week (a fully-armed neighborhood, and neighbors unashamed about protecting themselves and their community).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Not my first choice for edc piece or method, but beyond that, good for him.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I'm suspicious of most strangers that go through my neighborhood. If one had a rifle, I'd probably feel compelled to investigate. I think this gentleman is very much doing the right thing by combining it with some community service by keeping his neighborhood clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Curzyk View Post
    I'm suspicious of most strangers that go through my neighborhood. If one had a rifle, I'd probably feel compelled to investigate. I think this gentleman is very much doing the right thing by combining it with some community service by keeping his neighborhood clean.
    I guess his heart's in the right place but he's clownish. He couldn't be less convincing as a guardian of the neighborhood if he wore a cape and a blue suit with a big red S on his chest.

I noticed that the concerned neighbor really gave no reason to justify her concern. Just scared of a slung rifle. Emotion first, rationalization later - she'd make an ideal Democrat.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    He's "stepped up to the plate" and taking some responsibility for his neighborhood.

What he's doing, how he's involved, his choice of weapon, etc etc, are all open to various criticism's, but ultimately IMO he's displaying the good American spirit "we" ........that was once so widespread.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    He's "stepped up to the plate" and taking some responsibility for his neighborhood.

What he's doing, how he's involved, his choice of weapon, etc etc, are all open to various criticism's, but ultimately IMO he's displaying the good American spirit "we" that was once so widespread.
    Yup.
    ppkheat likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    So a man is out picking up litter in his neighborhood helping to keep it clean, good for him. Shame on the neighbor for believing that this man is a "problem and a concern". The real "problem" is that people don't know how to recognize a good neighbor when they see one.
    OhioCatter likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I guess his heart's in the right place but he's clownish. He couldn't be less convincing as a guardian of the neighborhood if he wore a cape and a blue suit with a big red S on his chest.
    Fully agree, and acting so far out of the norm, legal though it be, makes one wonder if all is OK inside between the ears.

Yup, to me at least his good intentions appear both clownish and inappropriate.

And as a tactical matter, and a practical matter, he'd be much safer and just as effective if he CCd, stayed near
    his vehicle, and kept a rifle or shot gun in the vehicle trunk.

He'd also be much safer if he just walked around in old scruffies (stayed non-descript) with a cell phone in his pocket.

If something happened where he actually used that rifle I think the law would go hard on him. He would appear to others as if
    he were out looking for an opportunity. Haven't we just seen that?

What that clown may not realize is just how easily a BG could take that from him.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links