Is It Wrong to OC AN AR15?

This is a discussion on Is It Wrong to OC AN AR15? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted a thread last night about a young man that open carries a rifle in his neighborhood in an effort to protect it or ...

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Is It Wrong to OC AN AR15?

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar

I posted a thread last night about a young man that open carries a rifle in his neighborhood in an effort to protect it or to watch over it. Some felt that the young man had good intentions and just needed a little guidance. Some felt that he was perhaps being a bit irresponsible and shouldn't do things that unease his neighbors. Just because he has a right to do it, it doesn't necessarily mean he should do it.

This isn't intended to be a redundant thread. This thread is a little different because now instead of having a person OCing a rifle to protect his neighborhood, we have a man that OCs in an effort to educate others. He feels that the negative connotation that comes with a man carrying a rifle in public is due to all of the negative experiences that normally happen whenever we see someone today OC a rifle. He wants to condition us to be at ease around an OC'd rifle by setting a positive precedent and if more of us do this, then we will erase the stereotype. He says that if you're against his OCing in public then you're really not Pro 2A.

Is there something to his theory? Is he just crazy or just seeking attention? If more of us OC with a rifle, will we erase tensions in regards to doing as much? Is it reasonable to expect police to stop persons that do OC a rifle when perhaps they lack a good reason from doing so given its not illegal to OC a rifle?

Again, its not intended to be a redundant post. This has more to do with educating others as opposed to the things one should or should not do in a neighborhood watch program. What can we do to educate the public about the real gun laws as opposed to the laws they think or believe to be real when in reality, they're not, etc.?

Senior Moderator
    That would depend entirely on where you are at.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If it's legal where you live, and you wish to engage in a lawful activity, then by all means do so. Just be aware that it probably isn't going to be all rainbow farts and unicorns if you go to see the latest vampire love-fest with your hog leg strapped to your back.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That would depend entirely on where you are at.
    So true! I should have prefaced it with a setting where it is legal to OC a rifle, at least that's the spirit I wrote it in.

Thanks for pointing that out. ;-)

In short: no, it is not wrong.

Some people may view it as unnecessary or even stupid but it is not wrong.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I believe that it is not wrong.

I think the term wrong makes it a personal opinion, or belief. Legal is relatively cut and dry, but wrong is (IMO) in the eye of the beholder. I do not believe it is wrong. Heck kids used to take their rifles to school for target practice at P.E. Only difference is society and people, doesn't seem to change the wrongfulness/rightfulness of it.
    ChrisATX likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    1. Is It Wrong to OC AN AR15?

2. Is there something to his theory?

3. Is he just crazy or just seeking attention?

4. If more of us OC with a rifle, will we erase tensions in regards to doing as much?

5. Is it reasonable to expect police to stop persons that do OC a rifle when perhaps they lack a good reason from doing so given its not illegal to OC a rifle?

6. What can we do to educate the public about the real gun laws as opposed to the laws they think or believe to be real when in reality, they're not, etc.?

1. No, but it might be illegal in some places.

2. Yes.

3. Neither.

4. Hard to predict.

5. Is it "reasonable" to expect that an officer will conduct a stop without first obtaining reasonable suspicion that a crime has occurred, is occurring or is going to occur; no. Does it happen, yes.

6. For starters we could teach our children the unbiased truth about firearms, the 2nd amendment and the local firearms laws.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I don't think it's wrong, but it is misguided and self-defeating. The thing about trying to educate people is, you have to give them credit for some intelligence: even if they're currently ignorant, they're probably not stupid. Seeing an OC'ed handgun is one thing - an intelligent person can see it, and start to think "hmm, you know, it kind of makes sense to have a handgun, I'm worried about my own safety," etc, and mission accomplished.

Now, a similar person seeing an AR-15 is likely to think "wow, that's stupid - what's he going to do with that?" And he would be right, because as excellent as an AR-15 is for home defense and other applications, it's a very poor choice for actual everyday defense. In any urban environment, and most social situations elsewhere, you have to accept that people might get within a few yards of you, and if someone within a few yards turns out to be a BG with a knife, a rifle on your back does you no good at all. A handgun is great for defense in a mugging, a carjacking, getting jumped in an alley, while a rifle is useless in these situations unless it's already in your hands, and then often is less useful than a handgun. Whether the target of the educational message is aware of these things or not, if he DOES start thinking about them, he'll simply begin to understand why his initial reaction was correct, and the message is undermined.

I understand the idea behind it, but I think it's served much better by OC of a handgun.
    tacman605 likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

No its not wrong if its legal in the area its being done. If its not legal in the area being done, it should be.

As far as nervous Nellies reactions to it, its a right, where its not trampled underfoot illegally by the powers that be in some areas. This worrying all the time about how folks will react to us doing a patently legal and constitutionally guaranteed thing is a bit tiresome. We will never ever make those that pee their pants at the sight of a gun comfortable and its not our responsibility to make them comfortable. YMMV
    airslot and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I don't think it's wrong personally ,but expect some attention from the police.Depending on where you live,even if it is legal,a call over dispatch of a man walking around with a military looking rifle may even get the SWAT team on you.
    Face it,we are living in a de facto Police State where the populace has been brainwashed that only the police and the military should be allowed to own such weapons,not your average citizen.Especially in this post 9-11 -post Sandy Hook United States.

I am subscribed to "MarkedGuardian" on youtube and have seen most of his open carry videos. I'm all for him trying to normalize firearms but most of his videos just annoy me. He says he makes these videos to show viewers how to use their rights. I believe that is partly his intention but I also believe he just wants a confrontation.

As far as your question goes, I dont think it's wrong to oc an ar15.

There is legal and illegal. There is right and wrong. There is wise and stupid. Sure, we have rights, but there are wise ways and stupid ways of exercising our rights. He chose one of the stupid ways. It might not be illegal, and it might not be wrong, but it surely was stupid.

He took time away from the police officer(s) who could be spending time chasing down real bad guys, rather than responding to a false call. The videomaker is just looking for attention. His rhetoric of "educating the public" is laughable and unpersuasive. Grow up, guy. This is a particular type of OC called "D-bag OC." The police officer came off looking good by comparison.

Also, this guy was playing with his life. A vigilant store keeper seeing a guy walk in with an AR might just pick up his own AR and aim it at the guy's head. One false move and it's a new coat of paint for the wall. It may even be justifiable self-defense: "You Honor, he walked in with an assault rifle. I told him to get his hands up in the air, but he started to say he was going to teach me a lesson about rights and then reached for the gun. I was sure he was going to shoot everyone in the store and make a new Columbine. I mean, who walks around with an assault rifle? I was so glad I had my own AR rifle behind the counter."
    Hodad likes this.

If you're gonna OC an AR, first be dadgum SURE IT IS LEGAL TO DO SO.

BE dadgum sure you DON'T OPEN CARRY IT RUDELY!!!!!

It might could be real handy to have a cracker jack 2A attorney on retainer and a fat stash of cash for bail money.

Good luck kiddo
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

"6. What can we do to educate the public about the real gun laws as opposed to the laws they think or believe to be real when in reality, they're not, etc.?"

...we've got two kinds of public that need educating...the ones who are just ignorant and uninformed...that's obvious as to how to educate...

...and those who KNOW and are just ACTING ignorantly...because our carrying makes them "nervous" or they "worry" about it...or they don't have what it takes to exercise their rights and carry, so they salve their shamed conscience by persecuting us...

...the first kind, we should be patient with and inform them politely...

...the second kind...and you can spot them two sentences into the dialogue...you're wasting your time...their opinions are more important to them than our rights and/or the law...sadly enough, you find gun-owners and even CHLers amongst this group...

...different from me isn't wrong...if it's legal, I support your right to do it...

No. I support the right to do it.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Links