So how do you handle this?

This is a discussion on So how do you handle this? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in a small town in NW Iowa, kind of a midwestern version of Mayberry. Nice town, well kept. Folks get along and help ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: So how do you handle this?

I live in a small town in NW Iowa, kind of a midwestern version of Mayberry. Nice town, well kept. Folks get along and help out. Not too big, about 9,000 people. Friendly folks, friendly cops, and most everybody supports them.

Here's the deal. There is a guy walking around town with an AK strapped to his back. Younger guy (big surprise), about 24 years old. He isn't threatening, clean cut, and smiles and waves at folks.

They do not wave back. They call the cops. A lot. The cops have to respond, of course. They have advised him that in no way is he helping his cause. Folks are freaking out.

Strictly speaking, this is not my concern. This guy is simply exercising his 2nd Amendment rights. Open carry is quite legal here in Iowa. While I prefer to hide my guns, occasionally I open carry. I have no problem with open carry.

The problem is that he is staring to influence folks who have no dog in the fight. Those who don't care one way or the other about guns are starting to care. They are afraid, and that's usually when detrimental things get started.

We've kicked this around some at our shoots, which he does not attend. We've wondered about taking him out for a beer, and trying to explain that there is a bit of tact that he should employ. An AK across the back sucks as a defensive weapon. By the time he swung it around, he'd be shot to pieces by any competent hand, as he carries it muzzle up.

So that's the problem. On one hand, he is doing nothing illegal, and we all know by the way he carries it, he's putting on a show. So no harm done. And, it's none of our business.

But it is making us gun owners look bad, at a time when we need more than ever to look good. And I'd say that does make it our business. Guns are not frowned upon here, but this guy has folks' undivided attention.

What's your opinion?
    Last edited by multistage; July 30th, 2013 at 06:39 PM.

I would say that, more than likely, he's not going to be convinced to halt his activities without a better reason than "You're scaring people". Unless it becomes illegal sometime soon, he's probably going to keep on keepin' on.
    TN_Mike and ErnieNWillis like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Leave him be.

Stupid ain't illegal.....yet.

Send him a real nice well written letter explaining your side an also give him your number an invite him to call you to go to the range try to become like minded.
    WHEC724, oneshot, squid86 and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Send him a real nice well written letter explaining your side an also give him your number an invite him to call you to go to the range try to become like minded.
    I like this approach. To do nothing, gives stupid a pass.

Then again, I'm very particular about who I go to the range with. I don't think I'd be doing that.

VIP Member
    There are so many people already in line to pick up where he leaves off. You may befriend him or find his circle of friends and work with him ( find out what makes him tick ) . Also he is doing this for the attention (good or bad) He may be showing his 2A rights but he could be doing the reverse showing how he thinks others look when they carry . I think he likes when people confront him .

But when all this is said he is not breaking the law , how would any of us that carry feel if we were constantly challenged by the police if they know you CC or OC .
    NONAME762 and blitzburgh like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Did you notice if he or someone with him has a camera or other recording device?
    perfection likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Accept the things you cannot change, and wisdom to know the difference.

There are people with oddities and different views everywhere and this is where if it were me and I realized I couldn't do anything about it then I would move on. I also agree that this guy wouldn't be the best to take to the range for a multitude of reasons.

If the Mayberry Land gets in a tizzy again, maybe you could help in redirecting their energy to a fall/winter garden in the town square for all to enjoy. Get their mind in another direction. Ignore the guy, he will get tired of it if nobody cares.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Assuming he doesn't carry a handgun, you could walk up to him, pull a training knife and poke him about 20 times to show him how dumb he's being from a defensive standpoint.

I hope it's obvious that I'm joking... Anyway, just tell him what you think. You have a right to speak, regardless of what is or is not "your business."
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    That's a tough one, it's hard to know what his thought is of carrying this way. Maybe his 2A rights or attention. Maybe at your shoots you could discuss the idea of putting together a meeting/seminar about OC/CC and invite him to attend. Who knows.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Two things.

If he knows what he is doing, then he is just doing it to attract attention. It seems to me that he is creating a public disturbance and that needs to be handled in the appropriate way by the authorities in town.

If he doesn't realize what he is doing then that means he has some mental issues and shouldn't have a weapon in the first place.

Either way IMO strolling around town with an AK strapped to your back is NOT acceptable behavior in these days and times.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

It's legal let him be. You need to be more worried about the people calling 911 they are the ones who need to be educated. The 911 operator should be the first educator in the process.

I have heard of people who OC long guns because they are unable to get a CHL. Is this the case with this fellow, or does he just like OCing a long gun?
    stylus likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

I have never believed in open carry...until AFTER the sandy hook shooting. I became very frustrated with everyone on the "ban the evil guns" side of the fence. I kept hearing them say "I dont want to be around guns", or "I wouldnt feel safe around someone with guns", when the fact of the matter was that most of them are around guns all the time, every day. They just dont know it.

I do think the OP is probably correct about the townsfolks becoming afraid of this guy. But I also think CC has made people think that only bad people, and LE, (whom they either never see, or never wish to see), carry guns.

I hope the open carry thing might help people realize that some good people go armed. I will admit, I got my doubts about folks toting around AKs, and ARs, but we need people to see & view the honest gun folks out there, and not just think of the batman shooter, or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I have never believed in open carry...until AFTER the sandy hook shooting. I became very frustrated with everyone on the "ban the evil guns" side of the fence. I kept hearing them say "I dont want to be around guns", or "I wouldnt feel safe around someone with guns", when the fact of the matter was that most of them are around guns all the time, every day. They just dont know it.

I do think the OP is probably correct about the townsfolks becoming afraid of this guy. But I also think CC has made people think that only bad people, and LE, (whom they either never see, or never wish to see), carry guns.

I hope the open carry thing might help people realize that some good people go armed. I will admit, I got my doubts about folks toting around AKs, and ARs, but we need people to see & view the honest gun folks out there, and not just think of the batman shooter, or some such.
    I tend to agree, but as I've said elsewhere recently, an OC handgun is a much better approach to this.
    perfection likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links