Contingencies of Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Contingencies of Open Carry & Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Contingencies of Open Carry & Concealed Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would like to express my views on Open carry as I OC from time to time myself but most of the time I've been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Contingencies of Open Carry & Concealed Carry

Post Contingencies of Open Carry & Concealed Carry

I would like to express my views on Open carry as I OC from time to time myself but most of the time I've been CC'ing due to the hot weather. Now I've extensively discussed the difference's between OC & CC as well as the pros & cons of both I would like to point them out in my opinion. Now as far as open carry goes I do not currently open carry in hot weather as I wear light clothing & that most of the population does as well in the hot months. Now the controversial discussion between OC & CC is quite obvious certain people believe OC takes away the element of surprise & that it makes you a target for crime & others believe it is a deterrent to crime, I respect both views & agree with both them because I believe that certain environments are more dangerous than others in which I will further explain with a theoretical scenario. As of currently I do not live in a very safe city, Lets say if I were to OC I went out to take a walk & end up getting lost in a dangerous neighborhood prone to gang related activity I would automatically assume that BG's are watching my every move in which I would have to increase my situational awareness to my surroundings now even though they are increased the possibility of attack has been risen drastically, if someone were to sneak up behind me they would already have the advantage of proximity in which they could end up shooting me in the head & or stabbing me all for the gun on my hip. So to sum this up I do believe it is a bad idea to OC if you live in a dangerous neighborhood let alone one that is in close vicinity to you're own neighborhood you would still be in the hot zone. Don't get me wrong though I do believe OC is acceptable in a environment that is less prone to crime but if one does choose to OC they must have a increased awareness to there surroundings regardless of where they wind up at or they risk becoming a target. As for CC I believe it's a more suitable carry option for novices & or people who lack the proper training but still have basic firearm knowledge. Now lets use the same scenario If I were to CC my draw might be slower but I will not stick out to criminals in which I would decrease my chance of being attacked, but by no means does that exempt me from letting my guard down. Now I do plan on OC in winter months as I believe it would be much easier to effectively draw my firearm since I would be wearing heavy clothing CC will most likely slow down my draw in that aspect. So to sum up my opinion once again I would like to state that the type of carry is dictated by you're environment, clothing etc.. etc.. I would like to see you're views on the subject if you will please. Thank you

Paragraphs are your friend.

As far as the whole OC vs CC thing, if either is legal in your state (which, of course, it is in our great Commonwealth) and you wish to engage in a lawful activity, do it. I carry both openly and concealed.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

So I've been around several sheep that are completely against the idea of CC/OC of any type of defensive weapon what so ever. I had a discussion with my Friend bob & he thinks because I carry that I am carrying because I am in fear of becoming a victim of crime & he tells me that one can not anticipate crime which is quite true, but than he goes on to say that one shouldn't need any type of weapon to defend oneself let alone there family & friends, that they should be able to effectively defend themselves in hand to hand combat. He tells me that I lack confidence in myself & my immediate appearance because I choose to carry. So he goes on to tell me that he has lived in some of the worst neighborhoods in our city that nothing has ever happened to him in which he believes it never will so he shouldn't fear it & if it does that mere confidence alone will get him out of a hostile situation. He also believes that I am ill trained in the use of my firearm & I am not responsible with it, so if a situation did occur & I was forced to use my firearm that I would end up going to prison for it since in his eyes he doesn't believe in SD by lethal means or non-lethal means in that manner. It eventually went from a logical discussion to a moronic argument on his part. so I immediately ended it & told him that I respect his views even though I don't agree with them & that he should respect mine at that point the discussion ended.

Bob sounds like quite the jackass. As I tend to not associate with idiots, I would find a new friend.
    BkCo1 and TN_Mike like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

In my defense to my moronic friend I just mentioned in my above post, I stated to him that I do not carry out of fear of becoming a victim & I do not strap on a firearm everyday I walk out the door hoping to get into a firefight I do it to be prepared in the event that something does happen I will be able to effectively defend myself & or family members etc.. I also stated that in no way due I lack confidence in myself because I carry a firearm I told him that if If I had no weapons what so ever that I felt that I am fully capable of effectively defending myself in hand to hand combat in which I am. & I also explained to him that just because we live in a better neighborhood than most doesn't mean the likely hood of something happening decreases. He is also ill advised in the legalities of SD to where he fears more going to prison than the possibility of losing his life or being seriously injured, let alone his family & friends. -_-

Yea & the sad thing is I'm forced to live with this sheep for the time being, I can't stand it if I had another option to move somewhere else I would.

I don't know why you feel the need to explain anything to Bob. If Bobbyboy doesn't like it, he can scratch his ass and get glad.
    Mr B likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Yes but paragraphs are still very nice. Just sayin.....
    ericb327 and TN_Mike like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Hahahaha yup, well I like explaining things in hopes to change people's negative views about firearms in general & the right to carry them.

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar

lmao there's no need for page brakes. :p

Yes there is....if you want people to read your post and respond. Paragraphs are very good. And one looooong continuous chunk of text is not conducive to being able to read and comprehend your thoughts.

As for your friend, there are ALWAYS options. Get the heck away from that idiot. It is never good to associate with morons.

Grammar_Natzee__Wall_O___Text_by_dinyctis.jpg
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hmm.. well if you guys prefer I will use line breaks will that suffice? :/

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERCHEFNICK View Post
    Hmm.. well if you guys prefer I will use line breaks will that suffice? :/
    It's just easier to read and also comes with the added benefit of people actually reading it instead of just thinking "TLDR" and skipping over it.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERCHEFNICK View Post
    I would like to express my views on Open carry as I OC from time to time myself but most of the time I've been CC'ing due to the hot weather. Now I've extensively discussed the difference's between OC & CC as well as the pros & cons of both I would like to point them out in my opinion. Now as far as open carry goes I do not currently open carry in hot weather as I wear light clothing & that most of the population does as well in the hot months. Now the controversial discussion between OC & CC is quite obvious certain people believe OC takes away the element of surprise & that it makes you a target for crime & others believe it is a deterrent to crime, I respect both views & agree with both them because I believe that certain environments are more dangerous than others in which I will further explain with a theoretical scenario. As of currently I do not live in a very safe city, Lets say if I were to OC I went out to take a walk & end up getting lost in a dangerous neighborhood prone to gang related activity I would automatically assume that BG's are watching my every move in which I would have to increase my situational awareness to my surroundings now even though they are increased the possibility of attack has been risen drastically, if someone were to sneak up behind me they would already have the advantage of proximity in which they could end up shooting me in the head & or stabbing me all for the gun on my hip. So to sum this up I do believe it is a bad idea to OC if you live in a dangerous neighborhood let alone one that is in close vicinity to you're own neighborhood you would still be in the hot zone. Don't get me wrong though I do believe OC is acceptable in a environment that is less prone to crime but if one does choose to OC they must have a increased awareness to there surroundings regardless of where they wind up at or they risk becoming a target. As for CC I believe it's a more suitable carry option for novices & or people who lack the proper training but still have basic firearm knowledge. Now lets use the same scenario If I were to CC my draw might be slower but I will not stick out to criminals in which I would decrease my chance of being attacked, but by no means does that exempt me from letting my guard down. Now I do plan on OC in winter months as I believe it would be much easier to effectively draw my firearm since I would be wearing heavy clothing CC will most likely slow down my draw in that aspect. So to sum up my opinion once again I would like to state that the type of carry is dictated by you're environment, clothing etc.. etc.. I would like to see you're views on the subject if you will please. Thank you
    Holy wall of text batman!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links