WHy the anti OC in this OC section???

This is a discussion on WHy the anti OC in this OC section??? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In most every thread, there are anti OC comments. Why? We should all be on the same page here and be pro gun instead of ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree263Likes

Thread: WHy the anti OC in this OC section???

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

WHy the anti OC in this OC section???

In most every thread, there are anti OC comments. Why?

We should all be on the same page here and be pro gun instead of opposing the way others carry.

OC is legal in most states. It is very commonly seen in many areas of the US. People that openly carry have just as much right to carry where legal than do those carrying concealed.

In fact, in some areas, those openly carrying have more legal standing than those carrying concealed. For example: A person in Louisiana can openly carry inside a private residence of another but a person carrying concealed in Louisiana must notify the resident that they are carrying and seek the resident's permission before they enter the home.

A person with a Louisiana Parish concealed permit cannot carry inside a bank but those openly carrying can walk into a bank without problems. A State permit does not prohibit carrying concealed into a bank.

I am all for concealed carry. I am all for open carry. I am also happy that people have choices about which way they choose to carry and that they have a right to carry in their area of the US. There are people in other countries that wish they were just able to own firearms and would not complain about someone openly carrying if their laws allowed it.

Now I ask this: Do those openly carrying cause fear in those carrying concealed? Is anyone that openly carries being critical in the concealed carry section?

This is country of freedoms that allow people to do as they legally can. Personally, I do not like Fords or foreign cars but I am not going to complain to my neighbors about their choice of cars so why should I complain or make pushy remarks about those that OC? While I can carry anyway I want, I do often discreetly OC and have never had a bad experience in doing so. Not one person has attempted to take my gun. Police have never thrown me to the ground or even questioned my carrying. Professionally, I have never found a criminal openly carrying but have put the bracelets on many felons that were concealed carrying. Facts be known, open carry causes fewer problems than does concealed carry. Stores have actually thought the bulge of a concealed weapon was shoplifted merchandise. Cconcealed weapons have discharged when dropped from their position under peoples clothing and so much more. What works well for one may not be proper for another.

We all need to get along and join forces for the good of all gun owners.

Rant over.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

2. Remove Ads

100% agree

I have only conceal carried to this point, but I like having the OC option available and will certainly exercise it in the future.
    perfection likes this.

VIP Member
    Nice rant.

VIP Member
    I've never understood the kerfuffle over open carry, and never will.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Frankly I wish we could carry at all here in MD. Going on stupid rants about how bad OC supposedly is is just plain ridiculous. To those of you who live in states that allow you to do that (I think all 50 should let you carry however you want, no permit needed)....good for you. Carry on; I for one am happy for you.
    perfection likes this.

I agree, we do need to stick together. I for one have no problem with and care none how one carries. I wish I had the option to OC if I wanted to. I do around the house and property and find it to be quite comfortable.
    perfection likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Does everyone have to be for OCing just because the OP does?No.People has the right to feel and say how they feel..Just because one likes it,doesn't mean everyone else should follow them.. If someone wants to OC it doesn't bother me a bit.

If someone is for OCing good,if not, good also.As the saying goes whatever floats your boat.

Kerfuffle?
    PEF, Dan060 and perfection like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    In most every thread, there are anti OC comments. Why?
    On a discussion forum, discussion is good. Evaluation of the potential pros/cons of the choices we make and situations we can face is good. After all, if we're not here to learn about ramifications, pros/cons, then what's the point? Short of outright hostility to the method, bashing on those who choose the method, it's all good.

That said, you're right: jumping on each other simply to diss the choice, each and every time it comes up, is pointless and hostile, detrimental to "the cause." Divide & Conquer is part of the plan of the anti's. We shouldn't help them, in that regard. Goes for justifiable uses of arms, as well (hunting vs sporting vs defense vs hoarding); in that sense, we shouldn't be "versus" anyone, per se, nor their preferences.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Because many of us (me) simple click on "Whats New" and click on interesting topics without noting what area it was started....

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to hand gun as blue tooth's are to cell phone!

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    On a discussion forum, discussion is good. Evaluation of the potential pros/cons of the choices we make and situations we can face is good. After all, if we're not here to learn about ramifications, pros/cons, then what's the point? Short of outright hostility to the method, bashing on those who choose the method, it's all good.

That said, you're right: jumping on each other simply to diss the choice, each and every time it comes up, is pointless and hostile, detrimental to "the cause." Divide & Conquer is part of the plan of the anti's. We shouldn't help them, in that regard. Goes for justifiable uses of arms, as well (hunting vs sporting vs defense vs hoarding); in that sense, we shouldn't be "versus" anyone, per se, nor their preferences.
    Sure, discussion can be informative and beneficial. BUt have you read some of the anti OC folks remarks? If one wants to debate the merits of CC or OC, then the place to do so would be in a neutral venue.

Again I ask the board, why is anti OC sentiments so prevelant in the OC section when there is virtaully nothing in the CC section again people that CC.
    carracer and tcox4freedom like this.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I think some of it comes from the minority (I admit a very, VERY small minority) of OCers that seem to flaunt it and use it to bait others, whether it's the average person, or the police, causing a kerfuffle. The problem, IMO, is that the very, VERY small minority, has a very, very loud voice, as they then post their videos on Youtube and cause a second kerfuffle. None of that is helpful to our cause, and only serves to agitate and thus motivate those on the other side that want to take away our rights.

and PLEASE - - - BEFORE anyone responds, remember that I'm not accusing the average OCer of doing this. It's just that it gets tiring when such a small minority of people do something that reflects so badly upon me as a gun owner/carrier. I could care less about the 99% that OC. I don't necessarily like doing it myself, as I've said before, because I think it's a better tactical advantage to choose when to introduce a deadly weapon into a scenario, but others believe seeing that weapon will ward off many of those scenarios, and that is also a valid argument. So, it's just the idiots that OC to bait get my ire up.
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Here we go!
    thump clap, thump clap, thump clap,
    Pittsburgh is going the Superbowl!
    Here we go!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan060 View Post
    Does everyone have to be for OCing just because the OP does?No.People has the right to feel and say how they feel..Just because one likes it,doesn't mean everyone else should follow them.. If someone wants to OC it doesn't bother me a bit.

If someone is for OCing good,if not, good also.As the saying goes whatever floats your boat.
    So do you go to the GM dealer to bad mouth their product?

I am not against CC and nor am I for OC. I am glad people can carry a sidearm period. What I am against is the amount of postings being critical of OC that are in the OC section. Try to find an anti CC thread in the CC section.

In Louisiana, as well as several other states, a person can OC without a permit or having to do any paperwork. There are few states, although it should be all states, where a person can CC without a lot of paperwork.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    When i come to this website I click the "new posts" button, so the list of posts I read are from all categories, and I seldom look to see which one each thread is from. There's my short answer, and probably why my post on the plasma cutting thread was removed, on further inspection it was an ad.
    If you can OC, Great! Have fun, but here it is pointless as the weapon must be unloaded. You can still do it in California outside of the cities.
    My problem with OC is when people do it to make a statement or get attention. Groups in San Diego OC'd at Starbucks regularly and announced it, to get press and protest the near impossibility of getting a CCW in San Diego county. That caused assemblywoman Jackie Speier to quickly push through a bill made OC illegal in the cities of California. "They" shot "us" in the foot. I'm not sure who "we" is yet.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

...some folks think we have Second Amendment protected rights...AS LONG AS WE DO IT THEIR WAY...

...the truth is, as long as we stay within the law...we don't need ANYONE'S approval...
    ccw9mm, Aceoky, mcp1810 and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links