to the open carry crowd

to the open carry crowd

This is a discussion on to the open carry crowd within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are some of the kinds of question/comments from leo or civilians, faced day to day, and what are some of your most common answers?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: to the open carry crowd

to the open carry crowd

What are some of the kinds of question/comments from leo or civilians, faced day to day, and what are some of your most common answers?
    "You are guaranteed to miss 100% of the shots you don't take" -Wayne Gretzky

Are you a cop?-----No
    I guess you have your permit? -----Don't need one in NC.
    You mean you can just carry like that without a permit? -----Yes.

Are you gonna shoot me?----Not planning on it.

Most of my interactions have been quite positive around here.
    Bad Bob, OD*, StormRhydr and 1 others like this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

What make is it? What caliber? How do ya like it? If theres any comment at all. Wife tends to get the questions more than I do when she is ocing. But even with her they are few and far between. Its mostly a non issue around here.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Day to day? Almost none.

Every so often "Sig?" Offended; I answer "umm no, Glock 27 Gen 4" I have to get the (Gen 4) in there which usually elicits "What's a Gen 4?" LOL
    StormRhydr and Badey like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Day to day? Almost none.

Every so often "Sig?" Offended; I answer "umm no, Glock 27 Gen 4" I have to get the (Gen 4) in there which usually elicits "What's a Gen 4?" LOL
    Offended? I would think you'd be tickled that someone thought you had very good taste.

Lovin' my new Sig (P226)...
    Snub44, Hodad, Pinot and 2 others like this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    Won't even cover negative comments. Only had 2 or 3 in the about 10 years I've OC'd. As for the rest. Questions/comments like: "You can carry like that?" Yes, it's legal in VA. "What make?" CZ, which baffles 99% of people. "What caliber?" Answer depends on what I'm carrying. Then there are those who will tell me "Glad to see someone carrying" or "Thanks for carrying". Of course then you always get the idiots who think they are funny. Just last week I was at WAWA in the morning for my coffee. Guy steps back, half raises his hands and says "Whoa man! You ain't gunna shoot me, is ya?" I just smiled at him and quietly (no one around to hear the conversation) said "Only if you force me to defend myself". He smiled and said "D'ats cool Bro" and we both went about our business.

Almost forgot the numerous questions from the uninformed. Their only knowledge of guns comes from the press. "Is that a Glock?" You should see the looks I get when I say "Don't own one, don't want one".
    Snub44 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My state allows for opn carry when in the field camping of fishing. The most common question I've gotten is... What kind of holster is that? (wearing my old police duty holster)
    pilot101 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Cool thread, lets hear some more

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Day to day? Almost none.

Every so often "Ford?" Offended; I answer "umm no, Chevy Silverado HD" I have to get the (HD) in there which usually elicits "What's a Chevy?" LOL
    Bad Bob likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    "Are you a model? You're so fantastically good looking!"
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

I illicit very few, other than the Brand/Caliber type which are rare to non-existent. Occasionally, it triggers more than a quick exchange delving into OWB, leather, belts and the like. Once an older lady at the salon (I was in for a feather trim) freaked a bit, and asked if I was LEO, to which I responded I had a license (just to calm her down). The owner filled in the gaps with the appropriate clucking and cooing and explanation that OC without a license was perfectly legal in Colorado, and that I was a long time client blah blah blah...........and blah blah blah. The lady was from out-of-state and it ended with a nice gentle education opportunity. She was a wee bit wild-eyed for a while though.

I have OC'd around LEO's and Deputies and Sheriffs in towns and cities with nary a comment.

The Vaquero in a full period correct leather and cowboy get up illicit's the most comments just due to the whole package. That stops people in the streets for photos, particularly with my wife on my arm, in period dress. The Europeans LOVE it. They are enamored of the old west.
    gasmitty, pilot101, OD* and 6 others like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Never had any person question my carry in a negative way. I have had citizens inquire as to what type, what is best, what are the laws pertaining to carry and such. The only LEO that ever said anything to me was to the effect "that I wish we could carry a 1911 in .45acp instead of the Glock .40 S&W. I had a LEO ask to disarm me during a traffic stop and I did not have a problem with that and he even advised me of a law I was unaware of that was to the benefit of those with personal carry
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I OC'ed my Taurus M85 .38 Special yesterday in Zaxby's on North Main Street in High Point, NC and in the South Main Walmart without a single stare, question, and with absolutely no problem from staff, customers, or LEO's for that matter. I've open carried on my motorcycle several times with no issues at all. The only reason I am openly carrying as of now is that I am in the middle of my application process for my concealed handgun permit, which is in it's 54th day as I write this. And unfortunately, I live in Guilford County, which happens to be known for as a county that takes the full 90 days or longer. In the mean time, OC is legal in NC and I refuse to go around unarmed.
    Aceoky likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Are you gonna shoot me?----
    How about, "nope, the law won't allow me to shoot people just for asking stupid questions".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I've had a few looks and just one question.

Them: which Glock is that?

Me: Gen 3 Glock 19

Them: nice gun

That's it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links