First time OC for a gal - wasn't too bad

This is a discussion on First time OC for a gal - wasn't too bad within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a 35 year old mom of three. This morning we jumped on our bikes and I took my three kids down to the sand ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: First time OC for a gal - wasn't too bad

I'm a 35 year old mom of three. This morning we jumped on our bikes and I took my three kids down to the sand pit at the end of our subdivision. I was thinking it would be a good time to try OC. So I threw on my best pair of skinny jeans, tank top, Navy Seal hat (runs in the family) and my Bodyguard .380 in my IWB remora at the 4:30 position. I did bring a cover garment but didn't use it since I didn't have my permit with me. We passed a couple guys working out of Cable TV vans. As far as I know, they didn't notice anything. Got to the sand pit and my kids piled out with their toys and played for a bit.

After about 10 minutes, a kid came out of the nearest house, looked our way, disappeared inside and came out with a brother, bow and arrow and a bike. Right on their heels came grandpa who stood out there watching them. At first, I wasn't sure if they had noticed anything, but as we were getting ready to leave grandpa crossed his arms and stood watching me the entire time I was loading my youngest in the bike trailer and got the girls ready to go. He didn't say anything and I can't really hazard a guess as to what he was feeling. I was too far away to read his expression and quite frankly I didn't really want to try to. LOL

As we rode away, I glanced back several times to check on my girls and noticed grandpa watching me the entire time to our turn. I was thinking the about what I would've said if he asked why I was carrying it. Several things went through my mind. The fire extinguisher/spare tire example or maybe something about how as a mom I would die for my kids, but I'd rather protect them and myself in order to keep our family together.

Anyway, I stood straight and strong, kept confident and acted as a normal parent. I'd have to rate this first time as pretty good. Helped me with my confidence and allowed me a glimpse of what I might expect in the future. :)

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Good for you.

I'm sure you looked very threatening out there with your three kids.

Grandpa will get over it.
    Ghost1958, ccw9mm, Aceoky and 1 others like this.

Great job

Distinguished Member
    I congratulate you for your courage. Not sure I could pull off OC, even though I can't leagally in Texas. I would say that sand box was well protected. Good job.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I'm glad to see that it went well for you. If you were far enough away that you couldn't see the expression on his face more than likely he couldn't see your gun. I bet it was the Navy Seal hat that had him looking.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A mom's got to protect the little ones, in all species!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Good for you.

Grandpa will get over it.
    ...or he'll have to get a laxative for that constipation...

back to OP... Good job for keeping yourself together and keeping watch over the young ones.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    I bet it was the Navy Seal hat that had him looking.
    Yeah...I bet that was it...LMBO. Hey, he was a G'pa...not dead!!
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

The only thing I did differently, I realized, was that if I hadn't been wearing the gun I might have waved and said hi. I know why I didn't, of course. But still - a little disappointed in myself. But, on the other hand, I'm going to an open carry dinner tomorrow with a facebook group in the area and I'll have another chance to gain some experience.

By the way, grandpa wasn't so far away he couldn't see my gun - I probably could've seen his expression; I just chose not to. The navy seal hat is actually pretty understated. Pretty old and faded, with the insignia on the front and small lettering "Navy Seal" along one side of the brim. I'm betting he wasn't looking at the hat. And yeah, okay, maybe it was my , but I'm betting the gun was a bit more riveting!! LOL
    Wickked likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Exactly my thought. Can't imagine what goes through people's minds when the see weaponry and 100% upstanding, loving, normal behavior of people. Particularly in this case, too, with the grandkids zipping inside to acquire their own weapons before heading out to play. And Grandpa stood there, on guard, as if something was wrong. Well, something was. Trouble is, he doesn't seem to have recognized what that was.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    We (open carriers) make ourselves to feel like everyone is watching them or noticing their sidearms. In reality, very few people are looking at OCers enough to even tell what color shirt we have on. If a man was wearing a speedo or a lady was wearing a bikini while carrying, then peopel would notice. Until one gets accustomed to OCing, there is always that concern the world is watching us because of our gun. People seldom notice.

I was in a barber shop, a CVS drug store, a WalMart, a gas station and a I-Hop today, all while open carrying and did not notice anyone giving me the once over. There were a couple of pretty college co-eds in the I-Hop that I was hoping they would check me out but they apparently did not notice me or my sidearm. I guess there is not much to look at when you are old, overweight and greyheaded. People do not pay me any attention. They are not paying OCers any attention either.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PetiteProtector View Post
    I'm a 35 year old mom of three. This morning we jumped on our bikes and I took my three kids down to the sand pit at the end of our subdivision. I was thinking it would be a good time to try OC. So I threw on my best pair of skinny jeans, tank top, Navy Seal hat (runs in the family) and my Bodyguard .380 in my IWB remora at the 4:30 position. I did bring a cover garment but didn't use it since I didn't have my permit with me. We passed a couple guys working out of Cable TV vans. As far as I know, they didn't notice anything. Got to the sand pit and my kids piled out with their toys and played for a bit.

After about 10 minutes, a kid came out of the nearest house, looked our way, disappeared inside and came out with a brother, bow and arrow and a bike. Right on their heels came grandpa who stood out there watching them. At first, I wasn't sure if they had noticed anything, but as we were getting ready to leave grandpa crossed his arms and stood watching me the entire time I was loading my youngest in the bike trailer and got the girls ready to go. He didn't say anything and I can't really hazard a guess as to what he was feeling. I was too far away to read his expression and quite frankly I didn't really want to try to. LOL

As we rode away, I glanced back several times to check on my girls and noticed grandpa watching me the entire time to our turn. I was thinking the about what I would've said if he asked why I was carrying it. Several things went through my mind. The fire extinguisher/spare tire example or maybe something about how as a mom I would die for my kids, but I'd rather protect them and myself in order to keep our family together.

Anyway, I stood straight and strong, kept confident and acted as a normal parent. I'd have to rate this first time as pretty good. Helped me with my confidence and allowed me a glimpse of what I might expect in the future. :)
    Maybe grandpa was admiring the skinny jeans.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Maybe grandpa was admiring the skinny jeans.
    That's my thought. Hot chicks with guns are on a higher plane of hotness. This is a universal and inescapable truth.
    Ghost1958 and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

VIP Member
    Good on ya!

Best advice is to live your life while OC'ing just like you live your life otherwise. Only difference is your SA goes up a bit.

The sheeple need to see more and more of this....

A few words for this. SWEET!!!!!! And be safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links