Open Carry detered would-be Criminal

This is a discussion on Open Carry detered would-be Criminal within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This past Friday night around 10pm I finished riding my motorcycle for the night and had parked it inside a locked unit out of the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Open Carry detered would-be Criminal

Open Carry detered would-be Criminal

This past Friday night around 10pm I finished riding my motorcycle for the night and had parked it inside a locked unit out of the weather at a storage facility. We have to keep it there due to living in a condo and I refuse to leave a bike out in the open for obvious reasons. I am never without my Taurus M85 .38 that I have to carry openly as I await for my concealed carry permit application to finish the process, which is 90 days. Sucks I know but at least NC is a open carry friendly state. Anyway, as I was leaving the gate to walk back to my Jeep, an older Jeep towing a small enclosed trailer pulled up in the lot behind my vehicle. The main road was clear but the second Jeep never moved. I knew from previous security experience something was amiss. As I got to my own Jeep, I turned to where my .38 was visible to the occupants of the second Jeep. The passenger started to exit the vehicle until he saw my gun and then I heard him exclaim, "Screw it, man. He'll nail us if we try this." With that the door slammed and they sped out of the parking lot.

Good thing is these perps did not see my bike or the exact unit I parked it in. And they would have to had a security code to enter the gate anyway, so that is a blessing in disguise. A few lessons I learned from this experience. One, always take your gun with you because I almost started to leave it behind because it can be a little uncomfortable to have it on while also wearing riding gear. Glad, I took it with me because from straight from the horses' mouth (the perp), I would have been toast without it. Two, always be on the look out no matter where you are. I have been using this storage facility for years without a single incident until Friday night. Diligence as well as being armed paid off. Big time. Never get comfortable because assailants will strike you when you are not aware of your surroundings and when you are distracted. Look around. Keep notice of anything and everything that looks out of place. If it looks like potential trouble, then trust me, it probably is. Those things along with previous security training saved my skin the other night.

Everyone stay safe and alert. Carry everyday but also carry responsibly. And never for once drop your guard, thinking you won't need your gun. I learned Friday night just how true the phrase is, "Better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it." I don't want to think of what would have happened had I not been armed and from now on, the gun goes everywhere I go.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thanks for the story. Examples abound for why we should always carry. Glad it turned out okay for you. And welcome to the forum.

This next part is a suggestion, food for thought, an option, something to consider, etc:

You didn't say if you did or didn't call the police afterwards. You can't trust the bad guys to not call a false report on you. BGs have been reported to do it before. You are after all the person who foiled their plans and they may want to get back at you. All it takes is a MWAG call and "he threatened us", to make your life a nightmare. It's better for you to be the first to call.
    carracer, Sontag, Aceoky and 5 others like this.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Call 911 for a non-incident. Order fries while you're at it.

Now we can
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

...I missed the part where anyone said 911..........most depts. have nonemergency lines where you can report such as this...

Distinguished Member
    I have to agree with Snub44. Don't call 911 if it has already ran it's course. Report it at once, just use the non-emergency number. Relay any info about the incident you can remember that might help the police identify them. Does this sound right for your town?
    tcox4freedom and Secret Spuk like this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Quote Originally Posted by wcearp View Post
    Thanks for the story. Examples abound for why we should always carry. Glad it turned out okay for you. And welcome to the forum.

This next part is a suggestion, food for thought, an option, something to consider, etc:

You didn't say if you did or didn't call the police afterwards. You can't trust the bad guys to not call a false report on you. BGs have been reported to do it before. You are after all the person who foiled their plans and they may want to get back at you. All it takes is a MWAG call and "he threatened us", to make your life a nightmare. It's better for you to be the first to call.
    Ive always wondered about this sort of advice about situations that were non situations.

A BG or anybody for that matter could call in a false he threatened me with a gun and never have even come 200 feet of me.

Say somebody that doesnt like me? Some libtard idiot that happens to see an OC carry gun?

It may have happened before but id bet its darned rare where a crook calls the cops after not doing anything. Or even if they tried to do something and failed.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Please cite your data which supports your claim that BGs, who have their plans foiled by good guys open carrying, will call the police and file false reports against the good guys who open carry.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I would have called but where I live, the chances are if they showed up and that is if they showed up at all, they would have cited our castle doctrine law along with complimenting me for being a law abiding citizen. I had no descriptions of the suspects as their dome light did not come on when the passenger opened the door. No license plate on the trailer or Jeep for that matter. Call that in, and dispatcher would have told me there's nothing they can go on. As for the MWAG call and a false report, in my area it would not have gone anywhere if they did. We have a lot of break ins and other crimes at late hours and no one can defend blocking in a person's own vehicle 10pm at night and sitting there without moving. It was obvious they were up to no good. From security experience, I used to get visits from police where perps would actually call in MWAG, the police would come out to where I was on duty and alert me and then laugh at the idiots who called that in late at night. It just doesn't hold water at all.

Speaking of my situation, they were not customers of the storage facility, a fact evident by them not entering a code to open the gate. They were out late at night and it was obvious they were targeting my parked Jeep. I never drew my gun or handled it, just turned to where it could be seen by them. And when they caught sight, they ran. And if a perp runs, then it's over. Trust me, without solid descriptions, the LEOs will not follow up with it. If I called in a dark Jeep pulling a trailer at night, then that could have been anyone. Remember, my own Jeep is dark in color and I guarantee you that if I had called I would have been pulled over as soon as an officer saw me based on the description of a dark Jeep. If I had something more solid to go on, then a call to LE would have been able to help.

And besides who wants to wait hours for them to show up, if they ever show up. That alone would have put me in danger especially if the perps would have gone to retrieve re-enforcements and returned to the scene, which has happened in cases locally before. Self defense, which would have been warranted in this case, was my primary concern. I was blocked in and if they approached me with weapons, I would have had no choice but to open fire on them. Thankfully, the situation ended with no one injured at all. Thank you for the advice and for the welcome to the forum.

Figbassist75, thanks for posting.

Good read, and a great reminder to us all to never let your guard down. Situational awareness can prevent so much, and we all need to be reminded to keep ours up at all times. Complacency can kill you.

By the way, this is something that I say almost daily:

Quote Originally Posted by Figbassist75 View Post
    "Better to have a gun and not need it than to need one and not have it."
    Aceoky likes this.

I'd definitely make sure it gets reported one way or the other. In fact, if I heard what you heard regarding the guy getting out of the jeep. The LEO's would have received a call with their full description including tag, make & modle of the vehicle.

It's good that the OC pistol did what we all carry a pistol for, or should IMO, which is a deterant to actually having to use it to defend ourselves, but to just leave it at that and no follow up to alert law enforcement to a possible robbing crew is a fail IMO. Now by saying that I'm not directing that at the OP at all in a critical way, but more over just an opinion regarding letting possible individuals that I feel were intent on robbing or hurting someone go and selecting a different target to apply their trade. It would be dependent on whether or not I had my family with me as to my recourse for sure, but even then at a minimum the call to law enforcement would go out, and by that I mean the 911 dispatcher. Who knows, maybe an officer is in the general vicinity, and with a good description and the general direction of travel could yield a couple of potentially dangerous individuals being caught before they could hurt some innocent person, or persons.

Again, not being critical of the OP's actions at all, but I for one enjoy hearing how those guys get caught by folks like us over how we out smarted or avoided um.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I doubt any bad guy will call the police on someone openly carrying. If they did, they would have to give their name and address for the complaint. Bad guys do not want to deal with police for any reason.

With over 40 yrs in LE, I have never even heard of a Bad Guy doing this. When one calls in saying they were threatened, it is usually due to them being threatened, other than when it involves domestic breakups. Then, usually and most often, the lady will call saying the male has threatened them with a gun when in reality they have not. But Bad Guys NEVER call the police.
    Aceoky, OldVet, Ghost1958 and 1 others like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Chalk up another one for the good guys- wish the BG would always be so defeated!

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Glad to see that all had gone well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links