Think I have made a decision on my first OC

This is a discussion on Think I have made a decision on my first OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been antsy about OC. Not sure I should or not. But I think I have decided to do so. I read about the ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By NONAME762
  • 4 Post By Wolfiesden
  • 1 Post By pittypat21
  • 1 Post By Wolfiesden

Thread: Think I have made a decision on my first OC

Think I have made a decision on my first OC

I have been antsy about OC. Not sure I should or not. But I think I have decided to do so.

I read about the anti-gun nuts boycotting Starbucks tomorrow. So I figured I would stop in there on my way to the range in the morning and get a cup of coffee. And tell Starbucks thanks for for having common sense as far as gun laws go.

2. Remove Ads

Good luck...

Good luck. What made you want to OC?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    I have been antsy about OC. Not sure I should or not. But I think I have decided to do so.

I read about the anti-gun nuts boycotting Starbucks tomorrow. So I figured I would stop in there on my way to the range in the morning and get a cup of coffee. And tell Starbucks thanks for for having common sense as far as gun laws go.
    Hay there Wolfie ((Hay did ya take your name offa Terminator 4?)) Here's the deal basically w/Starbuck's and OC. This is what they tell the anti's much to the anti's chagrin. Where OC is allowed by state law OC folks are welcome at Starbuck's but in the same breath they don't acknowledge agreeing with the law but they will abide it. This stance super duper irritates the anti's to beat the band!! Te hee tee hee

If you have some of those OC business cards take a hundred or so and take your best smile and don't dress like me... dress nice BTW you can get the OC Intro cards from the folks at OpenCarry.org/A Right Not Exercised is a Right Lost.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Well, this was an interesting first OC to say the least.

Starbucks was not busy but it wasn't empty much to the chagrin of the protesters I am sure. It looked like an average saturday. I drive by there when I pick up a friend to go to the range but never really go in since I don't care for the coffee.

I walked in feeling nervous at first. That quieted down as I ordered a large cup of something with a normal sounding name. The employee glanced down and saw the pistol. I told him I was there specifically because that other group was boycotting them because they allowed OC. He turned around and whispered something to one of the other guys there. I thought it was about to be trouble. I decided I was just gonna be calm and nice about whatever they brought, I was doing nothing wrong here. Then the two came back to the counter and ushered me over to the side. And to my shock, they didn't complain, ask me to leave or any of that. They were interested in the model (Sig P226EE) as they were looking at getting pistols themselves and were considering the MK25 and they thought that was what I had. We had a nice little conversation. After they delivered my coffee and we finished up, I turned to head to the door just as a police squad parked outside.

Oh boy, that was what they were up to, they were delaying me until the cops showed up! I got to the door just as the two cops walked in. I nodded to them, they nodded back and I walked right past them like it was nothing. Then from behind me I hear, "Excuse me sir, may I see some ID?". Here we go I am thinking. So I turn slowly and keep both hands on the cup of coffee. They are at attention and have their hands on their weapons in that "just in case" stance. I politely respond with "Why? Have I done something wrong officer?". The taller cop takes a step forward as the other guy shifts off to a side and I am thinking they are not happy. Then the one off to a side says "Eric, it sure looks like him.". I swear my heart is about to explode at this point. I am going down for something I just know it. Then the cop in front of me says "Mr A___?". Crap, they somehow already know who I am. So, near panic, I respond with "Have I done something wrong?". The cop in front gets a big grin on his face and says "No. Not that we know of.". "Am I being detained?". He laughs and says to his partner "He has no idea who we are does he?". "Are you sure its him?". "Yea, I am sure." Then he addresses me again "My name is Eric ____ and thats John ___. Do you remember now?". And I did!

Rofl, they were two boys from a Boy Scout troop I used to be Assistant Scoutmaster of back in the 90's and I had taken the two of them to Philmont. They had grown so much since I last saw them. They moved across town and changed troops. Found out they both made Eagle Scout. And both went on to Explorers. One had joined the Army and did a stint over in Afghanistan. The other had his own business for a while. Later they both joined the PD together. We talked about old times and caught up on what we had done in the past few decades. We even talked guns and stuff and that this was my first OC. They confided to me that most of the cops are pro CCW and most are perfectly fine with OC as well. I even told them why I was there this morning and they approved of my stance on the matter. They also told me they hadn't been called to the Starbucks, they just happened by to grab a cup of joe before their patrol began.

This first OC turned out way different than I ever could have imagined. Nobody complained. In fact, quite the opposite. Most folks didn't even give it a second look and the ones that did, seemed to have a positive reaction.

Wow! That would be a scary event for a first timer! Great story!

Welcome to the open carry world! Keep your situation awareness with you at all times and be safe!
    Chuck Norris/Ted Nugent That's the ticket for 2016!

Wow... interesting for sure. Did you tell them they about gave you a heart attack?
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Lol, that had to be hilarious for those guys. "Am I being detained?" "Mr. A, it's US!"
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Starbucks was not busy but it wasn't empty much to the chagrin of the protesters I am sure. It looked like an average saturday. I drive by there when I pick up a friend to go to the range but never really go in since I don't care for the coffee.

I walked in feeling nervous at first. That quieted down as I ordered a large cup of something with a normal sounding name. The employee glanced down and saw the pistol. I told him I was there specifically because that other group was boycotting them because they allowed OC. He turned around and whispered something to one of the other guys there. I thought it was about to be trouble. I decided I was just gonna be calm and nice about whatever they brought, I was doing nothing wrong here. Then the two came back to the counter and ushered me over to the side. And to my shock, they didn't complain, ask me to leave or any of that. They were interested in the model (Sig P226EE) as they were looking at getting pistols themselves and were considering the MK25 and they thought that was what I had. We had a nice little conversation. After they delivered my coffee and we finished up, I turned to head to the door just as a police squad parked outside.

Oh boy, that was what they were up to, they were delaying me until the cops showed up! I got to the door just as the two cops walked in. I nodded to them, they nodded back and I walked right past them like it was nothing. Then from behind me I hear, "Excuse me sir, may I see some ID?". Here we go I am thinking. So I turn slowly and keep both hands on the cup of coffee. They are at attention and have their hands on their weapons in that "just in case" stance. I politely respond with "Why? Have I done something wrong officer?". The taller cop takes a step forward as the other guy shifts off to a side and I am thinking they are not happy. Then the one off to a side says "Eric, it sure looks like him.". I swear my heart is about to explode at this point. I am going down for something I just know it. Then the cop in front of me says "Mr A___?". Crap, they somehow already know who I am. So, near panic, I respond with "Have I done something wrong?". The cop in front gets a big grin on his face and says "No. Not that we know of.". "Am I being detained?". He laughs and says to his partner "He has no idea who we are does he?". "Are you sure its him?". "Yea, I am sure." Then he addresses me again "My name is Eric ____ and thats John ___. Do you remember now?". And I did!

Rofl, they were two boys from a Boy Scout troop I used to be Assistant Scoutmaster of back in the 90's and I had taken the two of them to Philmont. They had grown so much since I last saw them. They moved across town and changed troops. Found out they both made Eagle Scout. And both went on to Explorers. One had joined the Army and did a stint over in Afghanistan. The other had his own business for a while. Later they both joined the PD together. We talked about old times and caught up on what we had done in the past few decades. We even talked guns and stuff and that this was my first OC. They confided to me that most of the cops are pro CCW and most are perfectly fine with OC as well. I even told them why I was there this morning and they approved of my stance on the matter. They also told me they hadn't been called to the Starbucks, they just happened by to grab a cup of joe before their patrol began.

This first OC turned out way different than I ever could have imagined. Nobody complained. In fact, quite the opposite. Most folks didn't even give it a second look and the ones that did, seemed to have a positive reaction.
    I have to admit, I am not a big fan of OC for the very reasons you stated in your post, but after reading it thru it brought a smile to my face. I am glad everything worked our for you. Thanks for sharing...

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have to admit, I am not a big fan of OC for the very reasons you stated in your post, but after reading it thru it brought a smile to my face. I am glad everything worked our for you. Thanks for sharing...
    Well, after the heart attack anyway...
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by livewire View Post
    Well, after the heart attack anyway...
    Right..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Lol, that had to be hilarious for those guys. "Am I being detained?" "Mr. A, it's US!"
    Well, keep in mind the last time I saw these guys they were BOYS, not MEN. I was an adult when I knew them and only added weight and gray hairs. They matured substantially, one going from a chubby teen to a rather buff adult. So you might imagine that I had a time recognizing them.

And yea, I told em they about gave me a coronary. And I think they enjoyed it.
    Aceoky likes this.

Links