Nice experience OC'ing today

This is a discussion on Nice experience OC'ing today within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My husband and I were coming back from the shooting range today and stopped at a gyro shack to get a bite to eat. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Nice experience OC'ing today

Nice experience OC'ing today

My husband and I were coming back from the shooting range today and stopped at a gyro shack to get a bite to eat. It's a walk-up style. We grabbed our food and since there were no free tables, I asked a couple of guys if we could join them. The response was, "Sure, more guns are always welcome!" It was really nice to hear! The one gentleman was a deputy at the local correctional facility and the other had to have been a salesman because he had the gift of gab like you wouldn't believe. LOL

Anyway, dude one was CC'ing and dude two was like, "oh crap, I forgot to carry today!" and I was thinking "tsk, tsk" LOL

Anyway, we had a nice chat and since it was only my second time OC'ing I thought I'd report on the nice experience.

2. Remove Ads

Yet another great experience while Open Carrying. Good to hear.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    These are the types of encounters that we all like to hear.

Great to hear another open carrying experience. I had to leave mine behind yesterday on a motorcycle ride route that took me through school zones. I feel the GFSZ act, especially when just passing through a school zone, needs to be challenged. Like I said on another thread, I have not heard of a rider or motorist in my state being pulled for carrying through a school zone but with what I paid for my CHP process (still pending as of now) and my firearms, I don't want to lose my rights because of a stupid law or lose my guns for that matter by passing through a school zone. It's just another liberal idiocy to disarm the public.
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Figbassist75 View Post
    Great to hear another open carrying experience. I had to leave mine behind yesterday on a motorcycle ride route that took me through school zones. I feel the GFSZ act, especially when just passing through a school zone, needs to be challenged. Like I said on another thread, I have not heard of a rider or motorist in my state being pulled for carrying through a school zone but with what I paid for my CHP process (still pending as of now) and my firearms, I don't want to lose my rights because of a stupid law or lose my guns for that matter by passing through a school zone. It's just another liberal idiocy to disarm the public.
    I have no idea what you are talking about,driving down the road does not keep you from legally carrying a firearm,even if you drive through a school zone,you may want to learn more about where you can and can't legally carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about,driving down the road does not keep you from legally carrying a firearm,even if you drive through a school zone,you may want to learn more about where you can and can't legally carry
    The issue in NC is the part of the statute that reads "Anywhere prohibited by federal law." Group rides are redirected here around SZs even it if it is miles away because of this stupid law. This is a strange state because it is primarily pro-gun but also caves to the libs too on many issues. It's like they try to play to and appease both sides. Being unarmed is never a good thing unless you are in a location where carrying is strictly prohibited. And if I was unarmed a week ago, it would not have turned out well for me at all. Thankfully, I was OCing in a location where it is legal. A couple of would be thugs ran when they caught sight of my holstered handgun.

I am just as confused by the law's language as anyone else is. It says one must possess a license to carry but does not elaborate on what license that is. In NC to buy a handgun, we have to have PPP's from our local sheriff. We are an OC legal state. With that said, is that enough to qualify for a license to carry? This law needs clarification.

Besides, I am still new to carrying as I have only owned and carried handguns for a year and a half. Most of my experience with firearms previously were with long guns. Got into handguns through a friend who introduced me to a good local range and suggested I get my CHP for the protect of my wife and I as we do a lot of traveling and are out quiet a bit.

VIP Member
    Great to hear i have never OC'd , i will try it in VA soon .
    Member of the NRA
    Gun Safety is Life Safety
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Great to hear i have never OC'd , i will try it in VA soon .
    I hear VA is a very OC friendly state. I've done it here in NC many times with no incident. Like you, I am going to try it in VA myself as I have a friend up there I visit from time to time. I'll post how the experience goes when I attempt it soon.
    welder516 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Figbassist75 View Post
    I am just as confused by the law's language as anyone else is. It says one must possess a license to carry but does not elaborate on what license that is. In NC to buy a handgun, we have to have PPP's from our local sheriff. We are an OC legal state. With that said, is that enough to qualify for a license to carry? This law needs clarification.
    Welcome to California of the South!

License to carry refers to your concealed handgun permit. You are correct that this is an open carry state and without a permit you can openly carry almost everywhere you can carry concealed, but there are a few differences. It is important to remember that the open carry is permitted because it is not explicitly defined (restricted). This leads to some of the oddities like for example, you go out to dinner and have a beer or glass of wine (not that I'm necessarily endorsing this, but it is a good example), you are legal if you openly display (carry) your handgun on the way home, but not if you have it concealed. Also, some regulations and places apply ONLY to concealed carry, banks used to be a prime example until HB650 a few years ago.

In terms of the school zone, I am aware of the prohibition on educational property which changes Oct 1 for those with a permit. You may be right about the school zones being part of the federal 1000 feet from a school or whatever, but then I haven't heard of anyone having problems from this while driving on a public road.

I would highly recommend going to the NC legislative site and downloading the PDF of statutes, particularly chapter 14. If you have any questions regarding part of it, we have a few instructors here who are very knowledgeable about the quirks of the regulations.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    Welder and Figbassist, I can attest to the fact that VA is OC friendly. Some parts of the state more so that others. Outside of some of the NoVA cities and the VA Beach/Chesapeake area, I don't think anyone will bat an eye over you OC'ing.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    OP, it's great to hear stories like yours. Shows there are people out there that do understand what it is all about. Unfortunately it is the few fruitcakes that freak at the sight of a gun that get the recognition in the press.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Very cool.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR* *USCCA*

Concerning open carry on a bike, most of the best motorcycle routes in NC are incidentally through country back roads in and around small towns and communities that live out the phrase "places that time never touched." Usually in these areas there are always one or two over zealous LEOs that live like they are performing LE duties as if they were back in the 1920's or 30's, using their discretionary powers to distort reasonable law into their own twisted interpretation.

Case in point, at my church's early service this morning, I discussed the subject of OC'ing through a school zone in a vehicle, whether it was a car or motorcycle with a friend of mine. He brought up a story from a few years ago from a county that I frequently ride in where he and his wife were cruising on one of these roads in their Jeep, minding their own business when they were pulled over by a LEO who accused him of distracted driving for, get this, taking his hand off the steering wheel to shift gears. Of course, OCing during this trip, he placed his handgun on the dash, and retrieved his license and registration.

He was lectured on the dangers of distracted driving for several minutes and the LEO ended the traffic stop not only with a verbal warning but also by pointing his finger at my friend's gun exclaiming, "and if we catch you driving through one of our school zones with that thing, then you and your rights to have it are as good as finished. Now get out of here!".

Long story short, the above incident occurred no where near a SZ, and my friend filed several complaints with both the county the LEO worked for and with the state to no avail. In fact, the only response from either was the typical "we have found no indication of wrong doing on the LEO's part" letters that many have received after what is called an "official inquiry" after filing such complaints. IMO, I feel the LEO in this case was completely out of line but that is just my opinion.

In regards to GFSZs, I respect the law on that even though I may not agree with it at all. However, IMO, LEOs going after law abiding citizens driving through one while minding his or her own business while OCing or CCing (if they have a CHP) is nothing more than a witch hunt and is almost public disarmament. For that very reason, I am in support of a repeal of the law or at least a clarification. And in it's current wording, it seems to give LEO's like the one mentioned above the power to unlawfully harass law abiding citizens. And in that case alone, it needs to be stopped. Period.

EDIT 8/25/13: I just want to add that the LEOs mentioned above represent a vast minority of LE. Many in the profession are not only outstanding LEOs but are also very respectful of the rights of a law abiding citizen. It is the few that give the majority a bad name. PD's need to rid themselves of the bad apples as they are nothing but a liability.
    Last edited by Figbassist75; August 25th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Welcome to California of the South!

License to carry refers to your concealed handgun permit. You are correct that this is an open carry state and without a permit you can openly carry almost everywhere you can carry concealed, but there are a few differences. It is important to remember that the open carry is permitted because it is not explicitly defined (restricted). This leads to some of the oddities like for example, you go out to dinner and have a beer or glass of wine (not that I'm necessarily endorsing this, but it is a good example), you are legal if you openly display (carry) your handgun on the way home, but not if you have it concealed. Also, some regulations and places apply ONLY to concealed carry, banks used to be a prime example until HB650 a few years ago.

In terms of the school zone, I am aware of the prohibition on educational property which changes Oct 1 for those with a permit. You may be right about the school zones being part of the federal 1000 feet from a school or whatever, but then I haven't heard of anyone having problems from this while driving on a public road.

I would highly recommend going to the NC legislative site and downloading the PDF of statutes, particularly chapter 14. If you have any questions regarding part of it, we have a few instructors here who are very knowledgeable about the quirks of the regulations.
    He IS "correct technically " (IMO) however that is a Fed law and local/state LEO would not nor could they enforce that , highly unlikely any Feds would considering the GFSZA had to be written over due to court challenges- certainly it would be a "tough sell" as you're on PUBLIC streets (not private school property) in some states the state laws actually permit carry in school parking lots without a permit (which IMO is "very telling" )

It would be near impossible in many places to avoid that 1K ' "stuff" to go "anywhere" and I'm doubting any Feds in the area are interested in bothering folks unless given a good and valid reason YMMV

I'll be visiting my brother in Oregon and a friend in Washington soon on the same trip and plan to open carry through all three states, especially since I'll be traveling alone. I'll have to let everyone know how that experience goes, as well. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links