Open Carry now legal in Mississippi

This is a discussion on Open Carry now legal in Mississippi within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; JACKSON, Miss.: Miss. high court upholds open-carry gun law | News | The Sun Herald . As the title states Mississippi Supreme Court upholds Open ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Open Carry now legal in Mississippi

2. Remove Ads

Well done, MS...
    Aceoky and Badey like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had no doubts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Whether one chooses to carry OC or CC, the point is the freedom to do either. Well done Miss!
    carracer likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    As it should be.

VIP Member
    Congrats MS. Welcome to the world of OC.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Glad to hear that's finally done with and with the correct outcome.

I dont see how states that dont offer free (No cost) CCP/CWPs get away with not having open carry without a permit. Anything else is infringement IMHO...Oh and CONGRATs by the way.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I support the right to open carry, but fail to see the advantage of it, in an URBAN setting. I would much prefer that the BG not know that I am carrying until/or if I choose to enlighten him.

Some might say that the presence of one or more persons with "big iron on their hip" could deter a criminal from attempting his crime at that location. Maybe so.

I prefer the element of surprise, or at least, the prerogative to present my weapon or not. Open carry would tend to "obligate" the carrier to use his weapon, for better or worse, losing the option to "avoid and/or escape."

My 2cents
    "I can show you how to make a bomb out of a roll of toilet paper and a stick of dynamite." Dale Gribble

well done, Mississippi!!!

Open Carry now legal in Mississippi

Quote Originally Posted by gen3 View Post
    I support the right to open carry, but fail to see the advantage of it, in an URBAN setting. I would much prefer that the BG not know that I am carrying until/or if I choose to enlighten him.

Some might say that the presence of one or more persons with "big iron on their hip" could deter a criminal from attempting his crime at that location. Maybe so.

I prefer the element of surprise, or at least, the prerogative to present my weapon or not. Open carry would tend to "obligate" the carrier to use his weapon, for better or worse, losing the option to "avoid and/or escape."

My 2cents
    Seriously? This thread has nothing to do with OC vs CC. Can't we have one thread that doesn't devolve into a bunch of "CC is way better" rants?

This is an excellent step forward in MS gun rights that corrected a long-abused misinterpretation of the old law. Part of the benefit of this dragging out is that pretty muh everyone not idling under a rock understands that OC is not legal on MS.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Welcome to the club Mississippi.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Now if we could just get Texas on board....
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

...ain't it so!!!

I came close to calling WTVA because of the way the facts are distorted. HB 2 was not an open carry The Legislature can only make laws regarding concealed carry, not open carry. HB2 defined concealed carry as concealed-hidden from view by removing the clause "in whole or in part":. The effect of the law was that now a person cannot be harassed and should never have been harassed by Law Enforcement officers for doing so because in MS, the people already had the right to carry openly (without permit) according to the MS Constitution (Open carry shall not be called into question). The News Media distorts facts and those hearing that news report think that the law granted a privilege rather than a right already possessed since 1891. This distortion of facts in the news media keeps citizens ignorant of our rights.
    Last edited by frankcnb; August 31st, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: need to include a word

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links