Could I?

This is a discussion on Could I? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought this knife. MACV-SOG Vietnam Military Knife & Sheath Can I legally open carry it in NC? I am 17 years old if ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By GlassWolf
  • 1 Post By Wolf1996
  • 1 Post By GlassWolf

Thread: Could I?

Could I?

I recently bought this knife.

MACV-SOG Vietnam Military Knife & Sheath

Can I legally open carry it in NC? I am 17 years old if age has to do with it, and I want to carry it for self defense.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Knives are a poor choice of defensive weapon to be honest. You'd be better off with OC (pepper spray) or even a collapsible baton with some training in it's use.

By the way, here's a pic of a real MAC/V-SOG knife with beret. (my father was with MAC/V-SOG for two tours)

013.jpg011.jpg010.jpg
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

ok, that got cleared up. Nice pictures GlassWolf.
    GlassWolf likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    Knives are a poor choice of defensive weapon to be honest. You'd be better off with OC (pepper spray) or even a collapsible baton with some training in it's use.

By the way, here's a pic of a real MAC/V-SOG knife with beret. (my father was with MAC/V-SOG for two tours)

013.jpg011.jpg010.jpg
    Glasswolf , that hardware is a work of art IMO , and it is nice it means alot to you . Very nice
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thank you. My father served in the armed forces for 30 yers, retiring as a full colonel. Unfortunately, he passed away as a result of cancer from agent orange exposure during his tours. He is the man who got me started on my path to firearms training and safe handling. Gotta respect that.

Oh I did forget to mention that if you want a quality reproduction of the original SOG knife, "SOG" has made several variations over the years since the early 90s that are very nice knives, although nowhere near as cheap as those $12 ones all over eBay.

SOG Knives Recon Bowie 2 0 Knife Black TINI with Leather Sheath New 11 75" | eBay
    357and40 likes this.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Not much more to add. I agree, a knife is not a great SD tool unless you're very well trained. Even then it's only useful at bad breath range. You know the old rule about taking a knife to a gunfight, right?

While that knife looks neat it's probably not terribly well made (the knock off the OP lists, not the beautiful one Glasswolf showed).

Welcome to DC, Wolf1996! Hopefully you're soaking up some great firearms knowledge. Won't be long and you'll be old enough to CCW...at least you would be in SD. Not sure of the law where you live.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the forum Wolf, glad you are here!
    I'm with the others on the knife thing and guns. With a gun you don't have to get as close but knives do have an important place in our lives.
    Matthew 10:33

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

~ Jesus ~

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

013.jpg011.jpg010.jpg
    I am sorry to hear your father is not with us, but the pride with which you speak of him makes me confident he was a remarkable man. As a veteran myself, I respect him, and hope that one day we may meet on hallowed grounds to trade stories. You have every reason to be proud of him

To the OP.... why would you want to carry such a knife? As a defensive tool a knife is a last resort unless to are trained and skilled in its use. without training a knife can get you killed as easily as it can save your life. Also, such a large knife is illegal in most jurisdictions. A close examination of local and state law is order. A good OC spray would be my first recommendation. A baton could be useful but I recommend training for it. Above all else, common sense and a clear head is your first and best line of defense. If you think a situation could be trouble, avoid it. Always be aware of your surroundings, always be aware of the people around you. Start with the fundamentals, and build on them.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

As Sister says, knives are important. I would be willing to bet that the majority of folks here EDC some type of blade. If I'm wearing pants I have my Spyderco Ladybug3 in ZDP on me. I never leave the house without it. It's not a large knife but it's very functional and does most things I need a knife to do. If I'm camping, hiking, hunting or fishing then obviously I'll also have other knives along but it's handy to have my lil' 'bug.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Administrator
    Thanks for posting the PICS GlassWolf.

Your Dad. R.I.P.
    Our best and our bravest always remembered and always appreciated here.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For the knife Wolf bought, my suggestion would be to have a leathersmith work a better sheath for you, maybe a copy of the real one (pictured) then take that reproduction knife, and have it put into a display case you can hang on a wall. It'd make a terrific conversation piece. It really is an attractive knife.

I do EDC a knife, but mine is a Benchmade folder. Very good (154CM) steel, razor sharp edge, and about 3.5" long. It's not a defensive tool, but it is an invaluable tool that I use almost daily for various tasks. Having a quality folding knife to carry is important, in my opinion. When I was younger, I carried a Vicorinox Swiss Army Alox Pioneer. The knife was given to me by my dad when I was a boy scout, and I've kept it for the last 25+ years. (the textured metal grip swiss army one, not the plastic handled too-many-gadgets things) and that's been a terrific knife if you want something reliable and sturdy and affordable.

On an interesting side note, the original SOG knives were actually made of a fairly soft alloy so while they didn't hold an edge that well, they weren't brittle, and thus wouldn't snap off in an enemy if it came to that purpose. The knives were mainly carried as an offensive weapon to silently dispatch a sentry, for example, and not so much as a defensive tool, for which most SF guys carried a .45 and a rifle, and were fairly well trained in hand to hand. Just a bit of trivia there.

Links