Take gun to job?

This is a discussion on Take gun to job? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently purchased a pistol for protection at my job. I am a restaurant manager in Oakland County Michigan. I was sketchy about walking to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Take gun to job?

Take gun to job?

I recently purchased a pistol for protection at my job. I am a restaurant manager in Oakland County Michigan. I was sketchy about walking to my car at night. I am in the waiting to take a class for my CPL. I wondered if it was legal to take my pistol to work (with separated ammo and gun in trunk and glove box).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    1) Start here: Handgunlaw.us

2) Don't take legal advice from Internet posters. You don't know me - what if I knew it was illegal, but intentionally told you that it was not? "I read it on the Internet" is not a legal defense.

3) Welcome to the forum.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Determine if your place of work is a "protected" spot in the same way as, say, a federal government facility, or the "secure" zone of an airport, or otherwise restricted by your state's statutes.

Determine if pretty "No Guns" signs or policies hold the force of law in your state. In many states, they're just signs, and you can only be charged with anything if you're requested to leave but refuse to do so.

Determine if your place of work would hold it against you for carrying, and whether those ramifications of being "outed" would be worth it to you ... in terms of getting sacked, of having zero references from that firm, of being incapable of explaining why you got sacked, loss of income, being seen by some as one who'd break your word of agreement to abide by policies and requirements of employment, etc. Up to you, on that point, in terms of how you value the mix of pros/cons and to what degree your employer concerns itself with upstanding staff who take steps to guard against violent crime.
    LostScout and Tzadik like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    1) Start here: Handgunlaw.us

2) Don't take legal advice from Internet posters. You don't know me - what if I knew it was illegal, but intentionally told you that it was not? "I read it on the Internet" is not a legal defense.

3) Welcome to the forum.
    And he IS a lawyer, so listen to his advice about... err... not listening to him?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    And he IS a lawyer, so listen to his advice about... err... not listening to him?
    You just blew my mind!
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Well, he says he is, so it must be true. At least his advice sounds lawyerish.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

A lawyer who carries and makes jerky you just blew my mind!
    Brad426 likes this.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum. Check your state laws. Start with Handgunlaw.us and also your state grass roots organization.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I know it sounds crazy...but does your restaurant have a handbook/employee manual that lays out policy on drugs, dress code, fire arms, etc.? Could you play the dumb guy approach with your boss/the owner and say something like, "One of our employees came to me the other days saying they don't feel safe walking to their car at night after work. They wanted to know about being able to carry a firearm at work?" Of this conversation is had after reading up/doing some research at handgunlaw.us. Just an idea.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Consult your employee handbook but the last thing you want to do is start asking questions to your boss or co-workers. Don't give anyone at work a heads up that you may be carrying a gun. Concealed means concealed and keep it that way. If there isn't a policy against carry, then there is a good chance that after you ask there will be.

And check out the website linked above to stay legal with the state.
    Aceoky and oneshot like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Well, he says he is, so it must be true. At least his advice sounds lawyerish.
    ar135256921367035.jpg
    livewire, bgusty and Aceoky like this.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by PaulEWogg View Post
    I recently purchased a pistol for protection at my job. I am a restaurant manager in Oakland County Michigan. I was sketchy about walking to my car at night. I am in the waiting to take a class for my CPL. I wondered if it was legal to take my pistol to work (with separated ammo and gun in trunk and glove box).
    Transporting the weapon from one place to another is fine. there are some laws pertaining to transporting, check the laws to be sure. If you are intending to take it from home to the restaurant every day, I would advise you not to. My advise is to wait for your cpl, that way you do not get popped for some stupid transport law....
    oneshot likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    At my last place of employent the official answer from the owner was "Dont ask questions that you dont want answered!"
    I carried a handgun for when I had to be away from the truck and a shotgun in the truck. It was both for protection and an ocasional dove or pheasant after work. My current employer a county Sherrif would frown on that. DR

I think you are in a unique position since you are a manager. A lot of places I've been have exemptions to a lot of policies for management. You may also have some leeway in changing the policies.

You don't specify whether you're 'the' manager, or a shift/department manager, most restaurants have shift managers and a store manager so you need to check your policies. Also, you don't specify whether it's a privately owned place, a franchise, or a corporate chain, that can have a pretty steep distinction too.

And as said above, check your local laws. If you serve alcohol, determine what your state/municipal laws are on that... here in WA we can carry in places that serve alcohol, but not past the '21 or older' demarcation as determined by the State Liquor Control Board, some states ban it in the entire place if they get 51% of revenue from alcohol sales, and some ban it in any place that serves period. And some places don't care at all.

I wouldn't even bother until you get the CPL though... most states have a exemption for employees or owners at businesses that would normally require a permit for concealed carry but if you use transport law to get your firearm to work you're going to be carrying an unloaded and unconcealed into the building, then charging and concealing it. That just screams "notice me!!!", and will get you in trouble even if you are in the green legally and by policy.
    Aceoky likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    At my last place of employent the official answer from the owner was "Dont ask questions that you dont want answered!"
    I carried a handgun for when I had to be away from the truck and a shotgun in the truck. It was both for protection and an ocasional dove or pheasant after work. My current employer a county Sherrif would frown on that. DR
    One would think that a sheriff would be more persuaded to allow carry, but cops are cops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links