Open Carry rifle incident in TX - Page 2

Open Carry rifle incident in TX

This is a discussion on Open Carry rifle incident in TX within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...ya think?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Open Carry rifle incident in TX

...ya think?

I participated in an open-carry even this weekend in Mansfield, TX and last weekend in Arlington, TX. There were about 40 of us. It was quite an interesting experience. I carried my Ruger itac, its a tactical version of the Ruger 10-22 that just looks more like an "assault rifle." Obviously, having lived in Texas my whole life, open carry of any firearm is an odd sight to see. I've known for a while that its legal to carry around my rifle in public, but I've never been brave enough to try it. But when there are 40-some-odd other people doing it with me, I know I'm less likely to be harassed by police. In both cases the police did come out and sort of babysit us and follow us around. I asked the Arlington officer why he was there and his answer was humorous. He said, "We're here for your protection." I replied, "There are over 40 of us walking around with AR-15 rifles, who do we need protection from?" He had no answer to that question.

Some interesting things I noticed. First of all, the public response in both cities has been overwhelmingly positive. There was a constant stream of honking cars. Everyone honking was either waiving at us or giving us a thumbs-up. Some people walked up to us and thanked us for what we were doing. I never heard a single negative comment.

We also have gone into several establishments to eat or buy beverages. We've been in a 7/11, a Chevron station, SmashBurger, and Freebirds. The only negative reaction I have seen was in SmashBurger. One guy was eating with his young daughter and after 30 of us piled into the place with our rifles, he got up and said semi-loudly to his daughter, "let's go eat somewhere else.."

The police in Mansfield were even nicer and they flat out told us they supported our movement and thanked us for being orderly and friendly and for carrying with empty chambers (even though that is not required). They also told us the called the 911 dispatch and told them what to do if anyone called 911 about our activities, basically to inform the public that we weren't breaking any laws and that the police were aware of it.

I've been very tempted to go out in public by myself with my rifle, but I fear I'll get singled out if I'm not with the group. The other issue is that I've done some experimenting and even if the rifle is carried with a round in the chamber, it takes 3 times longer to bring it to bear than a pistol due to its location on my back. So it isn't really that good of a defensive tool, although it may definitely serve as a deterrent.

here are some photos.. Sorry I'm not in any of them since I was the one taking the photos.

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Hmmmm?..Disturbing the peace? Really? Serious?
    I can't say based on the video evidence I saw anyone "disturbed."...other than the person who (may) have called who is probably nowhere near the scene.

I hope these guys have lots of money (which I doubt) to go all the way in the legal process.
    Wanna' bet if this was someone of financial stature in the community that no citation would have been written?

It's not about the guns, carrying guns or disturbing the peace...It's ALL about stomping on the rights (any right) of those who can not defend themselves in court due to the extreme financial requirements to do so...sure is fun to vent about it though..which is where this usually ends up.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

TVJ
    I'd like to export San Antonio's political mentality to Kalifornia....their knife law and "interpretation" of the great State of Texas' firearms laws.

That whole freaking mentality. Its a boil on Texas. Lance it with a Bowie.

We need a few precedent setting cases to find their way into the Texas Supreme Court to collar SA's police chief.
    NONAME762 and Snub44 like this.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

There was an active duty Army MSgt several months ago with his son out walking in a semi rural part of Texas. Apparently there was a MWAG call. The responding officers didn't like /appreciate the MSgt carrying an AR where he was at. The cops claimed he was carrying a long gun rudely and the MSgt was taken into custody.

I don't know what happened after that tho there was quite a hubbub over it as the video went viral on YouTube.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I've known for a while that its legal to carry around my rifle in public, but I've never been brave enough to try it. But when there are 40-some-odd other people doing it with me, I know I'm less likely to be harassed by police. In both cases the police did come out and sort of babysit us awhile. He said, "We're here for your protection." I replied, "There are over 40 of us walking around with AR-15 rifles, who do we need protection from?" He had no answer to that question.

The police in Mansfield were even nicer and they flat out told us they supported our movement and thanked us for being orderly and friendly [/IMG]
    I take it there were not 40 cops there all with AR type sporting rifles?? I don't care who you are...that's just plain hilarious.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    "But San Antonio police Chief William McManus told KENS-TV that gun owners can still be charged with disorderly conduct if anyone feels threatened at any point during a demonstration."

You do not have the right to not be offended or to not be uncomfortable.
    Every time I am out and about and some yahoo Libturd opens their mouth I am offended by the vile filth that issues forth. Yet unlike these yahoo's I just suck it up and diddy outta there asap. But I don't call 911 and report a Libturd with an attitude making this Redneck uncomfortable. Last time I checked there's nada in the Bill Of Rights about the right to not be offended by a moron. I think there should be but there's not.

Don't mistake State law for Municipal law. IANAL but my understanding is that in Texas the only weapons (yeah, I know, the "W" word) laws that can't have additional restriction added to them are the Concealed Handgun Laws (CHL) laws. For instance it is illegal to display a firearm inside Houston city limits. That means that I cannot even have a unloaded rifle in a gun rack in my truck inside the city. Also, in San Antonio all locking blade knives are illegal to carry.

No for the disclaimer: I have never seen this in print but have been told it several times by LEOs I know and whose opinions I trust so this is really just my own understanding. If anyone knows I am wrong I will gladly retract my statements above.

Max
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

VIP Member
    From article in link;

But San Antonio police Chief William McManus told KENS-TV that gun owners can still be charged with disorderly conduct if anyone feels threatened at any point during a demonstration. In other words, if anyone around you is uncomfortable with firearms, you could technically be charged with a crime.
    “It’s a disorderly offense that officers will address accordingly,” the police chief said.

End

So basically, if a trim waist challenged person (fat chick) walks by in a bikini, and someone were to call and complain that they were offended, the offending weight challenged person(fat chick) would be arrested?

I am sick of all this Socially engineered political correctness.

Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2

"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell

From a TEXAS A&M student:
    "Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds dearly the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.”
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I participated in an open-carry even this weekend in Mansfield, TX and last weekend in Arlington, TX. There were about 40 of us. It was quite an interesting experience. I carried my Ruger itac, its a tactical version of the Ruger 10-22 that just looks more like an "assault rifle." Obviously, having lived in Texas my whole life, open carry of any firearm is an odd sight to see. I've known for a while that its legal to carry around my rifle in public, but I've never been brave enough to try it. But when there are 40-some-odd other people doing it with me, I know I'm less likely to be harassed by police. In both cases the police did come out and sort of babysit us and follow us around. I asked the Arlington officer why he was there and his answer was humorous. He said, "We're here for your protection." I replied, "There are over 40 of us walking around with AR-15 rifles, who do we need protection from?" He had no answer to that question.

Some interesting things I noticed. First of all, the public response in both cities has been overwhelmingly positive. There was a constant stream of honking cars. Everyone honking was either waiving at us or giving us a thumbs-up. Some people walked up to us and thanked us for what we were doing. I never heard a single negative comment.

We also have gone into several establishments to eat or buy beverages. We've been in a 7/11, a Chevron station, SmashBurger, and Freebirds. The only negative reaction I have seen was in SmashBurger. One guy was eating with his young daughter and after 30 of us piled into the place with our rifles, he got up and said semi-loudly to his daughter, "let's go eat somewhere else.."

The police in Mansfield were even nicer and they flat out told us they supported our movement and thanked us for being orderly and friendly and for carrying with empty chambers (even though that is not required). They also told us the called the 911 dispatch and told them what to do if anyone called 911 about our activities, basically to inform the public that we weren't breaking any laws and that the police were aware of it.

I've been very tempted to go out in public by myself with my rifle, but I fear I'll get singled out if I'm not with the group. The other issue is that I've done some experimenting and even if the rifle is carried with a round in the chamber, it takes 3 times longer to bring it to bear than a pistol due to its location on my back. So it isn't really that good of a defensive tool, although it may definitely serve as a deterrent.

here are some photos.. Sorry I'm not in any of them since I was the one taking the photos.

Way too cool! :)

TX Bill Regulates Gun Control Regulations - WatchdogWire - Texas

...this link will tell you how it really is concerning guns...

...San Antonio ordinance only outlaws locking blade knives less than 5 1/2" long...

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
    (b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
    (1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
    (2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
    (3) Traveling;
    (4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
    (5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Don't mistake State law for Municipal law. IANAL but my understanding is that in Texas the only weapons (yeah, I know, the "W" word) laws that can't have additional restriction added to them are the Concealed Handgun Laws (CHL) laws. For instance it is illegal to display a firearm inside Houston city limits. That means that I cannot even have a unloaded rifle in a gun rack in my truck inside the city. Also, in San Antonio all locking blade knives are illegal to carry.

No for the disclaimer: I have never seen this in print but have been told it several times by LEOs I know and whose opinions I trust so this is really just my own understanding. If anyone knows I am wrong I will gladly retract my statements above.

Max
    TVJ likes this.

Thanks Snub44! I've been looking for that piece of info on San Antonio knife laws!
    I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    TX Bill Regulates Gun Control Regulations - WatchdogWire - Texas

...this link will tell you how it really is concerning guns...

...San Antonio ordinance only outlaws locking blade knives less than 5 1/2" long...

Sec. 21-17. Certain knives prohibited generally; exceptions; penalty for violation.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly carry on or about his person a knife with a blade less than five and one-half (5 1/2) inches in length, which knife is equipped with a lock mechanism so that upon opening, it becomes a fixed blade knife.
    (b) The above prohibition set forth in subsection (a) shall not be applicable to a person carrying such a knife:
    (1) In the actual discharge of his duties as a peace officer, a member of the armed forces or national guard, or a guard employed by a penal institution;
    (2) On his own premises or premises under his control;
    (3) Traveling;
    (4) Engaged in lawful hunting, fishing or other lawful sporting activity; or
    (5) Using such a knife in connection with a lawful occupation, during such utilization.
    5.5" or less fixed blade is fine (single edge)

Note: A 5.5" blade locking folder is legal by state of Texas and legal in San Antonio based on wording in their law. Their law fails to say less than or equal to 5.5". A Cold Steel Espada Large is 5.5" tip to handle.

Good link from Snub44 above on no city preemption of State gun laws including CHL. San Antonio has a law disallowing any carry/CHL of sidearm in SA parks. What a crock. Now invalidated.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

This makes one wonder if legislators know what they are doing. Maybe they need better research staff? I know Federal lawmakers need to do a better job of studying proposed legislation prior to voting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell47 View Post
    Thanks Snub44! I've been looking for that piece of info on San Antonio knife laws!
    Why would they ban locking blades shorter than 5-1/2 inches? Wouldn't shorter blades be "safer". In Nebraska, I can't have a blade that exceeds 3-1/2 inches. But, Nebraska law also illustrates the conflict of what is legal especially concerning knives. One could have a "legal" knife according to one statute while the use of such knife could violate some other statute.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links