Educating the public

Educating the public

This is a discussion on Educating the public within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I do not agree with the youtubers out there trying to educate the public by carrying ARs, I understand what they are doing and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Educating the public

Educating the public

While I do not agree with the youtubers out there trying to educate the public by carrying ARs, I understand what they are doing and why. It is their right. I found this video and thought that the officer was very professional in handling this situation. Several calls for service were made.

Kennydale and 357and40 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    If you want to "educate" try something like open carrying a hand gun. Get people use to them, then move on to a long gun. Now of course some places like TX that is illegal, but you can try to get the laws changed.

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Yep. The non gun public only knows what they see in the anti gun liberal media and we know their accuracy record. The non gun public cannot see the honest, card carrying person that has a gun in their pocket, under their coat, inside their waist covered by their shirt, in their purse, in their anything since it is concealed. The honest gun carrying person afraid to show their gun in a non threatning manner may as well be a non gun person. They are not giving the public a chance to question them about their gun, the carry process, the law or anything else about a gun. They cannot show people that the honest citizen is not harming anyone even though they are armed.

There has not been one pro gun seminar in a mall that I know of. Never saw a pro gun interview on the 6 pm news either.

So how do we get the word out that people can ask about our sidearms, the law or whatever interests them about guns? I have been asked about the process to get permits, the law, where to shoot, what gun would be suggested for the person, their wife, their daughter or others.

I have never had someone be rude and I have not seen people grabbing their kids and running down the aisles at Walmart screaming about a MWAG. A bonus is I have had some dang fine looking women want to know if I could teach them about guns and let them shoot mine since they never shot a gun before. At least three of those ladies now have their permits and their own guns. They likely would not have had the exposure to guns if they had not seen this tall, good looking, well built man walking around in pulic openly carrying. Nope, it was just me they saw but I had to make a little embellishment. The concealed carriers are not aiding the cause at all.

Just as with the events last week with OCers going to Starbucks for the publicity, you had the concealed carriers harping against it being done. Yet there was people educated about gun ownership and the ways to carry. People asked questions, got answers and walked away with a better view of gun owners.

Think about the motorcycle gangs that get good press by doing fund raisers for a cause or riding in some other good will event. We all have seen them and they help their reputation. What do gun owners have going for them other than the OCing public?

If Snub44 would move back home, I promise all that he and I would be informing and educating people about guns. Neither of us are ashamed to own and carry guns and we both can talk to anyone.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I usually OC at the range. I'm getting away from that as I want my range practice to include more draws from concealment. For those comfortable with open carry carry on.

I think I disagree about this cop to a degree. Just because he "likes guns" and thinks the world would be a better place if everyone had guns doesn't change the fact that he was asking for IDs from people performing a lawful activity. He wasn't a jerk, but I think police should educate the public about calling in about things that are legal.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I think I disagree about this cop to a degree. Just because he "likes guns" and thinks the world would be a better place if everyone had guns doesn't change the fact that he was asking for IDs from people performing a lawful activity. He wasn't a jerk, but I think police should educate the public about calling in about things that are legal.
    It is he job to do so. Based on the calls for service. I thought he handled it well. Like he said he can ask and they can so no.
    357and40 likes this.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    When a call (complaint) has been made, the officer has to go through the entire routine just as if a law had been or is about to be violated. The stop will usually be cordial and respectful. Seldom does such a stop become confrontational when there are no laws being broken.

Here, a 911 call about a MWAG will question the caller about any crimes being committed. If none are, then the caller will be so advised. If an officer is dispatched, the results of his contact will be called back to the caller by the call taker.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    When a call (complaint) has been made, the officer has to go through the entire routine just as if a law had been or is about to be violated. The stop will usually be cordial and respectful. Seldom does such a stop become confrontational when there are no laws being broken.

Here, a 911 call about a MWAG will question the caller about any crimes being committed. If none are, then the caller will be so advised. If an officer is dispatched, the results of his contact will be called back to the caller by the call taker.
    Oh, I see. So if someone calls and says "There is a man in a car driving down my street" the police have to pull him over as if he was driving while intoxicated?
    Aceoky and LostScout like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    It is he job to do so. Based on the calls for service. I thought he handled it well. Like he said he can ask and they can so no.
    I guess I disagree that it's the job of the police to question people who aren't clearly breaking the law. And if that's how the police are trained then it needs to change.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    I guess I disagree that it's the job of the police to question people who aren't clearly breaking the law. And if that's how the police are trained then it needs to change.
    I'm in agreement with Brad426.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Brad it really makes no difference what you or I think. Its a man with a gun call, they will respond. It is there job to do so. It is a call for service, whether we like it or not...
    ShooterGranny, OD* and 357and40 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Brad it really makes no difference what you or I think. Its a man with a gun call, they will respond. It is there job to do so. It is a call for service, whether we like it or not...
    There is a big difference between a man shooting a gun at people and a man walking down the sidewalk with a gun. The two should not be handled the same...In one of those incidents the man is committing an evil act which is illegal and in the other the man is doing nothing evil or illegal.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

VIP Member
    The "Best" open carry stop, is the one that never takes place.

The anti-gun media, anti-gun political climate, and the overall "wussification" (I think{may} I just made that up?) of the big city/suburb dwelling-latte-gulping-soccer mom-metrosexual-mall crawling-Jersey shore watching crowd, has gotten us to this point.
    Frankly, I'm at my wits end with all this anti-gun rubbish.

Open carrying a rifle is a wee bit, but the OC handgun stops should cease.
    Last edited by oneshot; September 1st, 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Add {may} & Last sentence
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    The "Best" open carry stop, is the one that never takes place.

The anti-gun media, anti-gun political climate, and the overall "wussification" (I think I just made that up?) of the big city/suburb dwelling-latte-gulping-soccer mom-metrosexual-mall crawling-Jersey shore watching crowd, has gotten us to this point.
    Frankly, I'm at my wits end with all this anti-gun rubbish.
    You're a few years too late to claim that one as your own.
    oneshot and NONAME762 like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Educating the public is tricky. I think it's best done with family-style gatherings, openly non-threatening that such things are. Barbecues, block parties, gatherings of "gun" groups that head to restaurants for good company, and the like. People get used to seeing folks armed, and seeing folks normally going about utterly non-threatening, normal behaviors just like they themselves would do. Over time, it gets easier.

With LE enlisted to assist instead of bash, they can help dramatically accelerate the learning process by clearly communicating the lawful nature of carry in the community when fearful MWAG calls come along.

And groups like VCDL, OFF, Buckeye Firearms can be lightning rods in their states for helping to reeducate the brainwashed ... tactfully, firmly, publicly, being a focal point for organized resistance to unconstitutional efforts and for getting liberty-supporting people together where it'll do the most good.

In time, once folks get used to seeing no a bad thing happening during such gatherings or when seeing individuals or families out and about while armed, it'll begin to change. Some, of course, will never remove their mental blinders, will never see that their willingness to set fire to the Constitution in exchange for illusory safety is what Franklin warned us about.

Those few aren't the problem. The tens of millions who've been brainwashed, though, are, and IMO they are the ones who can be changed most effectively through making carry a visible, common and ordinary activity, clearly distinguishing between the felonious and the upstanding at every turn. Gradually, the brainwashing can be reversed, but only insofar as we can erase all the brainwashers from our hired staff. Can't be wiping with one hand while getting dumped on by the other, not if we want to turn this around.

Open Carry is part of it, as it's one clear element of visibility for the cause. But it's only one aspect. The other aspects must be addressed as well, if it's to have marked effect.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links