Defensive Carry banner

CCW in Maryland?

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Stoveman 
#1 ·
I was told that the state of Maryland has changed its policty on granting CCW permits to its residents. Does anyone here know if this is true. I can't seem to find out.

#4 ·
No. The SAF has requested CERT from SCOTUS in the Woolard case, which is seeking to remove MD's G & S requirement. Currently still the law. No way an upstanding citizien can have a permit unless you prove you carry large sums of business currency, or are a Dr. dispensing prescriptions. I applied last March and was denied for no reason other than I have no G & S.

Sad but true. Hoping to win at SCOTUS next year.

#5 ·
Nope, nothing has changed in Maryland except the laws are getting worst and I think it's starting to resemble NJ! A bunch of new requirements for handgun and some other purchases go into effect on October 1st of this year.

#6 ·
It's worse than just handguns. AR15's will be banned for purchase after Oct. 1. You will need to get a Handgun Qualification License to even purchase, like NJ. Fingerprints, background check, etc. Worse part is when you do buy, you get yet another background check. Currently taking 120 days to get a background check and IMO it's gonna get worse.

Google MD SB281. It;s awful.

What a mess.

#7 ·
I just moved out of Maryland last November. I had a concealed carry permit for four years prior to moving. My expierence is 99% of Marylanders just assume they can't have one so never cough up the $115 and go through the (pretty easy) process.
These are the same people that will tell you class III weapons are illegal in Maryland.

Have you spent the money and are for some reason being denied or are you just listening to internet fodder?
Process for me took about 6-8 weeks total.

It cost me about $30 grand to cut ties and move out of Maryland, financially that was a big hit, my quality of life now could not be better and I will not return.
Good luck up there.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the information. I have a CCW which is granted by Utah Bureau of Investigation. It is good in 35 states. I spend much of my time in Ohio and am thinking of moving here permanently. I was told that recently the law in Maryland had changed but what I am reading here is that the law has become more anti-gun and the laws more inline with other "enlightened" states. I am currently a resident of Maryland and I also want a new gun so guess I better hustle up before October 1 rolls around. I bought one in Md last November at a gun show, it took a little less than 6 weeks to actually get the thing in my hands. The times they are a changing!

#10 ·
If you go to the right LGS you can pick up your gun on the 8th day. They have you sign a waiver stating that you know of no reason not to be denied.

I'm picking up a Glock 19 tomorrrow. It's been more than 8 days but there is also a "one gun a month" law in effect, unless you go through the paperwork to become a "collector".

#15 ·
Leaving prince George's County Maryland over 20 years ago was one of the best decisions I have ever made. We go back to visit my wife's family ever year and it is painful for me to see how they live. My Dad followed me down south to retire and enjoys it here as well. I salute those who stay and fight but I honestly don't think outside Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore there is much worth saving up there.

#16 ·
Fortunately it's a small state and we can easily jump the moat or cross the line to freedom all around us.

Reactions: Aceoky
#17 ·
Depends on if your talking about on paper, or reality of getting a permit issued. On paper it might seem easier, in reality, you would probably still stand a better chance being a snowball in Hade.

#18 ·
There are only 3 reasons you could get a permit in the FREE STATE /sacasm

1. DOCUMENTED assault or threats against you
2. Own a business and/or make business deposits. You must provide deposit receipts
3. You are a Dr. and carry controlled substances or write prescriptions for controlled substances.

Other than the above, forget it. Not even all the reasons above guarantee a permit in MD.

#19 ·
huh? what? you can still have a gun in Maryland?

seriously, i invite all the Maryland folks who like the constitution to move to Virginia. Virginia loves guns and It's gun owners!!!! I'd would like to thank Baltimore, though. The let Peyton manning earn me 85.6 points on my fantasy team last night!!!!! :)

#21 ·
I am one of the Marylanders that is buying up what i can afford , because of the changes coming Oct 1st You will have the expense of the gun , all the extra fees (taxes really) fingerprinting and background checks and then most likely a longer wait then now . I do not know what all that will come to but i have heard at least a 100.00 more of fees plus the gun cost . A few weeks ago a gun shop owner i do work for told me he still does'nt have the forms for the switch over . And if it was easy for me to move i would .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.