Why open carry, if you can carry concealed?

This is a discussion on Why open carry, if you can carry concealed? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I see a lot of people talking about "open" carry, as if it's something to brag about. I don't get it. In my opinion, the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Why open carry, if you can carry concealed?

I see a lot of people talking about "open" carry, as if it's something to brag about. I don't get it.

In my opinion, the only reason to "open" carry is if that's the ONLY way you can carry. There are more disadvantages to open carry over concealed that I wouldn't open carry, unless that was the only way I could carry AND I needed to carry.

With concealed carry I carry even I know there is no need. With concealed carry, you are not advertizing you have a gun for someone to steal. With concealed carry, you aren't scaring little old ladies (or liberals), unnecessarily. With concealed carry, the element of surprise is with the person carrying. You aren't notifying the bad guy to come up with a scenario to defeat your firearm.

Why would someone open carry, if they could carry concealed?
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

VIP Member
    Great topic, which I am surprised hasn't been discussed before.
    PEF, wmhawth, TX expat and 11 others like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    1. It's more comfortable. IWB isn't happening for me.
    2. It's more accessible. Don't have to "dig out" a CW.
    3. OC is just as likely to steer BGs away as to attract. BGs are always attracted to the (apparently) unarmed. Any BG who willingly preys on an obviously armed victim certainly isn't going to hesitate with an unarmed victim.
    4. Maybe I just choose to.
    jlprtr, BurgerBoy, BkCo1 and 9 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well can only carry concealed here in FL, but man sure would be more comfy with full size gun. I probably would not have given my 1911's to my sons if able to OC. They would have been bummed.:)
    jlprtr likes this.

The biggest advantage I see is you can carry any gun you want without making wardrobe adjustments.
    I believe some do it for that reason and some feel that it's a right that should be exercised or lost and some feel that it educates the public and accustoms people to the presence of legally carried guns. Others do it to educate some of the police who often seem fuzzy about the law. I choose concealed carry for myself preferring discretion and what I consider the tactical advantage of surprise.
    Aceoky and oldman45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Hi Mike. I see your wry sense of humor is alive and well this morning.
    Aceoky, Snub44, BurgerBoy and 2 others like this.

VIP Member
    Someday we need to delve into a 9mm vs. .40 debate and also get into whether we should carry with one in the chamber as well!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Someday we need to delve into a 9mm vs. .40 debate and also get into whether we should carry with one in the chamber as well!
    Such a flair for the obvious. I'm going over to the CC thread and asking why CC when one can OC.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Such a flair for the obvious. I'm going over to the CC thread and asking why CC when one can OC.
    Talk about obvious! You know darn well we should OCC or CCO, but never COC unless you are OCD.
    Aceoky, 1MoreGoodGuy and Zralou like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I occasionally OC because my hip waders don't have a built-in, concealed holster & cotton mouths seem to generally enjoy the same neighborhoods as... large mouth bass!
    Aceoky and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Any BG who willingly preys on an obviously armed victim certainly isn't going to hesitate with an unarmed victim.
    True enough, but a BG doesn't know what the booty will be on someone unarmed. If when he has the element of surprise, he knows he will at least come up with a desirable and expensive gun.

A BG with a gun, can walk right up to a GG with a gun on his hip and ALWAYS take it, if he wanted. The GG would never be able to use it in time, not knowing the attack was coming. Who knows if these would even be reported as such. The person robbed would probably be too embarrassed to report it happening that way.

Granted there could be a deterrent but not to someone who wanted your gun.

Old story but it goes like this

Man robbed in the Centreville area

About 4:10 a.m. Sunday, July 30, officers were called to the area of Newton Patent Drive and Newton Tavern Drive. A 21-year-old Centreville-area man was robbed while walking on Newton Patent Drive. Two suspects approached the victim from behind, and placed a metal object up to the victim’s head. The suspects took the victim’s hand gun which he was openly carrying. The suspect’s then fled the area. The victim was not injured.
    USMC 1963-1967
    The best carry gun in the world is worthless, if it's home in a safe.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    I've never given OC much thought, even though it's completely legal without a license in Ohio.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Yep, seems the LEO etc. should give up on mostly OC - they're getting robbed, beaten and guns taken daily-

Oh wait!!!

Without clear and obvious real data that folks who OC - really ARE "targets" it's laughable to me to even hint of that- we KNOW there have been times where OC prevented major crimes. That being said I've OC many, many times, I now mostly CC because frankly I like the element of surprise "IF" - not because I have some unfounded fear some BG is going to target ME while I'm showing a C&L 1911- in fact I'd bet most would choose what they believe a soft target- I KNOW no one ever bothered me (much less tried to take my gun) I think it's an internet rumor likely started by some liberal who hates the reality of legal open carry

YMMV
    BkCo1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    And after we finish this and 9MM vs. .40 cal discussion, we can talk about the best defensive handgun ammo.
    Aceoky and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

...never heard a Marine express concern that someone might steal his weapon before...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSD View Post
    I see a lot of people talking about "open" carry, as if it's something to brag about. I don't get it.

In my opinion, the only reason to "open" carry is if that's the ONLY way you can carry. There are more disadvantages to open carry over concealed that I wouldn't open carry, unless that was the only way I could carry AND I needed to carry.

With concealed carry I carry even I know there is no need. With concealed carry, you are not advertizing you have a gun for someone to steal. With concealed carry, you aren't scaring little old ladies (or liberals), unnecessarily. With concealed carry, the element of surprise is with the person carrying. You aren't notifying the bad guy to come up with a scenario to defeat your firearm.

Why would someone open carry, if they could carry concealed?
    ...four words...BECAUSE THEY WANT TO...
    BkCo1, Aceoky, Poorly and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links