Easing the mind of some anti-open carriers

Easing the mind of some anti-open carriers

This is a discussion on Easing the mind of some anti-open carriers within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going over some gun stats today from various legitimate sources. One of those said that LESS than 1% of the folks with a ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 94
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Easing the mind of some anti-open carriers

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,406

    Easing the mind of some anti-open carriers

    I was going over some gun stats today from various legitimate sources. One of those said that LESS than 1% of the folks with a gun has it taken from them by criminals. This does not include those taken in home robberies. The explanation with the stats said what most of us already know, the criminal wants to stay well away from an armed person. Seeing a person to be armed would be a deterrant to criminals.

    Many of the postings I read by concealed carriers keep saying that OCers are inviting criminals to take their guns. Well, less than 1% is such a small number, I would not let it worry me. In all my research on the matter, I have found only one incident where people took a man's openly carried gun and that was due to extenuating circumstances and the way he was carrying an unloaded gun.
    BurgerBoy, Ghost1958 and Snub44 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    10,676
    I'm feeling better already.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array blitzburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Coastal SC
    Posts
    3,738
    I'm not in the "OCing would get your gun snatched" camp. I've looked into the issue just as you have and came to the same conclusion.

    I sure wish OC would become legal here in South Carolina. I'd probably still CC more often than I'd OC but options are a beautiful thing.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

  4. #4
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    I'm not in the "OCing would get your gun snatched" camp. I've looked into the issue just as you have and came to the same conclusion.

    I sure wish OC would become legal here in South Carolina. I'd probably still CC more often than I'd OC but options are a beautiful thing.
    I CC when in states that do not allow OC. I OC maybe just a little more than I CC but it is due to ease and comfort of carry and not because I want to "show off" as some CCers claim being the reason for OC. If I am working serving paper, I have to OC. If I have reason to CC, I will do so. When I am working in TX, I have to CC. When I am on assignment in AR, I CC because I do not think even their Attorney General knows what the law is on carry.
    Snub44 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  5. #5
    Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    1,369
    less then one percent in the context of encounters with criminals or in general?

    even of .1 percent who OC gets their gun taken from them at some point that's still too high or me.

    there are about 400.000 people who CC in my state of OH, say they all switch to OC and 1 out of a 1000 gets their gun taken from them on the street by a criminal at some point that's 400 successful gun grabs in OH alone, too many for comfort for me.

    that being said it's not why i choose to CC most of the time. i just don't need some anti to freak out on me and cause a scene. i do OC while camping and on private land but never inside cities. especially in crowed areas. why advertise that you have a gun? it make even more sense to CC in states where gun buster signs have no force of law.

    i CC a mid sized pistol OWB, it's just as comfortable and i don't feel under armed. i carry the same gun on the rare occasions when i do OC but i don't change to a bigger gun. i just tuck my shirt in so it doesn't get caught on the grip during outdoor activity.

    i have been thinking about getting a holster with a strap for outdoor use though.
    USM1976 and fredg53 like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

  6. #6
    Member Array grbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    402
    Maybe I'm the only one...but 1% seems like a lot to me. That would mean it DOES happen to 1 out of every 100 people.

    When you say "folks with a gun" does that mean gun owners, or gun open carriers, or all carriers (concealed & open)? I want to learn a bit more about this stat.

    EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one, some others beat me to it!
    USM1976 likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Array CCIE33560's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    317
    I think maybe more important is that you give up the tactical advantage that CC provides. If I am a criminal, and see you OC'ing, you would be the first person I would attempt to disable. If the criminA is CC'ing and I am OC'ing, I thi k the odds are in the criminals favor. Big price to pay for comfort in my opinion.

  8. #8
    Member Array Qtip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Mississippi/Tennessee
    Posts
    279
    I would say it's far less that 1%. How many people OC in the US every day? Hundreds? Thousands? Lets say, conservatively from over 300 million people in the US, 1,000 people OC on any given day.

    And over the past 10 years, how many reports of stolen OC weapons from non-uniformed individuals have we heard of? Maybe 5. But for fun, let's say 10.

    At one story per year, which is high, the chances of having your gun stolen on any given day is roughly 1 in 365,000, or .0002%.

    Let's compare that to my chances of getting into a car accident on the way to town. Car accidents in the US happen, on average, once every 175,000-ish miles. A trip to town for me is about 15 miles round trip, so my chances of getting in an accident are about 1 in 11,667, or .008%.

    This makes me 40 times more likely to get in a wreck on the way to town than to have my firearm stolen on any given day. If I'm not worried about going to town, I definitely shouldn't be worried about getting my gun stolen off my hip.
    Stoveman, Snub44 and Aceoky like this.

  9. #9
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    less then one percent in the context of encounters with criminals or in general?

    even of .1 percent who OC gets their gun taken from them at some point that's still too high or me.

    there are about 400.000 people who CC in my state of OH, say they all switch to OC and 1 out of a 1000 gets their gun taken from them on the street by a criminal at some point that's 400 successful gun grabs in OH alone, too many for comfort for me.
    Then think about how many people make the news about being robbed and they carried concealed. I posted recently about a District Attorney that carried concealed. He was robbed in a parking lot of his wallet, his watch and his gun. He lost a Springfield 1911 and a Rolex watch. I know the man well after working with him. He has never had more than $5 in his wallet so no big loss there. Granted, he is also one I have written about that carried an unloaded gun.

    More people lose guns when carrying concealed than when OC. Of course, since ALL criminals carry concealed, they lose theirs when being arrested for Felon in Possession and they add to that count.
    Snub44 likes this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by grbr View Post
    Maybe I'm the only one...but 1% seems like a lot to me. That would mean it DOES happen to 1 out of every 100 people.

    When you say "folks with a gun" does that mean gun owners, or gun open carriers, or all carriers (concealed & open)? I want to learn a bit more about this stat.

    EDIT: I guess I'm not the only one, some others beat me to it!
    This is ALL carriers in either form.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

  11. #11
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,535
    Well oldman45, I'm not worried about putting the anti OC crowd at ease. Your wasting your breath even trying to. They are as closed minded to OC as an anti-gunner is to guns in general.
    OldVet and Snub44 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  12. #12
    Senior Member Array cn262's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SE Wisconsin
    Posts
    795
    This is from 2010, but this is the one case that I remembered reading about in SE Wisconsin. That's not the best part of the city and the guy seemed to be a regular fixture outside. That, along with a presumable lack of situational awareness (since the report made it sound like only one bad guy attacked him) were likely contributing factors.

    Guy with the gun robbed of his gun, because he had one. Was the robber afraid? Don't think so. - YouTube

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array Brent95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    765
    It would be good to see the OC get passed in S.C.Personally,i would not want the attention it may draw.On the other side of that,you wouldn't have to worry about the firearm being totally concealed

  14. #14
    VIP Member
    Array Stoveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Posts
    2,893
    To each their own.....


    You can't live your life in fear, OC will continue to be my preference.....

  15. #15
    Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Dayton Ohio
    Posts
    1,369
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Then think about how many people make the news about being robbed and they carried concealed. I posted recently about a District Attorney that carried concealed. He was robbed in a parking lot of his wallet, his watch and his gun. He lost a Springfield 1911 and a Rolex watch. I know the man well after working with him. He has never had more than $5 in his wallet so no big loss there. Granted, he is also one I have written about that carried an unloaded gun.

    More people lose guns when carrying concealed than when OC. Of course, since ALL criminals carry concealed, they lose theirs when being arrested for Felon in Possession and they add to that count.
    are you implying that he should of been OCing an empty gun as a deterrence? if the man carries an empty gun then he is doing it wrong period. CC or OC makes no difference. he was robbed because he was not mentally or physically ready to defend himself. method of carry made no difference here.

    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    This is ALL carriers in either form.
    if the stat pertains to all carriers OC and CC then you are not making a very strong case for OC.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors