Many gun owners want gun control

This is a discussion on Many gun owners want gun control within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is what I have learned, as of late: In general, most (not all) gun owners in this country want gun control. 1. They want ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree350Likes

Thread: Many gun owners want gun control

Lightbulb Many gun owners want gun control

Here is what I have learned, as of late: In general, most (not all) gun owners in this country want gun control.

1. They want you to have to get a permit before you can have your 2nd Amendment rights
    2. They think you should not be allowed to carry in places they don't want you to carry - like churches, or banks, etc.
    3. They want you to not be allowed to open carry a pistol
    4. They want you to not be allowed to open carry a long gun
    5. They believe that carrying a gun is a privilege, not of a right
    6. They want you to have to go through background checks before you can get a gun (guilty until proven innocent)

This is gun control-lite and is very hypocritical. Not that much different than those who want to take them away completely.

The real question is, why did it take me so long to come to realize this?

EDIT: As many of you point out, my use of the word "most" is not based on hard statistical data. It is based on my personal experiences, whether in online forums or face to face encounters with gun owners in my area. Still, I am saddened to have come to this conclusion. I am no longer naive. I now see that many gun owners are a part of the problem because of their flawed worldview in regards to liberty.
    Last edited by perfection; September 16th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I aint one of em though I do tend to agree with you. The RTKAB is plainly protected from regulation by the 2A by our government critters though they do it anyway.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I disagree with your usage of the word "most", I do not think it is the majority. But I agree that it does exist in appreciable numbers EXACTLY in the forms you state.

Well, that's kind of like saying "many people who read newspapers want censorship." The use of a right does not imply that one recognizes the right, or fully understands it. Ignorance is a powerful tool for those who desire control.
    warbirds and BuffaloRider like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by perfection View Post
    Here is what I have learned, as of late: In general, most (not all) gun owners in this country want gun control.

1. They want you to have to get a permit before you can have your 2nd Amendment rights
    2. They think you should not be allowed to carry in places they don't want you to carry - like churches, or banks, etc.
    3. They want you to not be allowed to open carry a pistol
    4. They want you to not be allowed to open carry a long gun
    5. They believe that carrying a gun is a privilege, not of a right
    6. They want you to have to go through background checks before you can get a gun (guilty until proven innocent)

This is gun control-lite and is very hypocritical. Not that much different than those who want to take them away completely.

The real question is, why did it take me so long to come to realize this?

Assuming you are not using sarcasm, I have to ask, "From where are you getting this notion that most gun owners want gun control?

Probably hes getting it from alot of fellow gun owners or forums that espouse we need to have mandatory training, a national CCw licence, background checks for that reason or that reason that sounds good but is blatant infringement.

That OC should not be done. And if it is then even gun owners ive seen post not so long ago they would be locking their doors and calling the cops. And that the cops have the right to stop and harass somebody for doing an entirely legal thing.

That some sort of baseline safety training should be required before one can own a gun. And on and on. Its not hard at all to see where the OP is getting his opinion.

Some of our worst enemies are our well meaning but misguided own.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I have to question the source of your information. I have nothing to refute it, but just about all of the gun owners I know don't want anything like you suggest. Where exactly did you "learn" this?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    While i too have seen more posts than I'd like in favor of some sort of training requirement and even quite a few who are not against background checks, I have trouble believing that it is the majority of gun owners. That sounds very much like what I've heard in the news from "Fearless Leader" and I don't believe him either.

We humans tend to give the greatest credence to what we ourselves have experienced, and then assume our experience is the norm. We may be numerous here on this site but I don't think we can extrapolate to the level of "most" gun owners. Consider that what we read here is limited to those who choose to respond.

For the record, While I think all gun owners should get proper training, I would not make it a prerequisite.
    84160 and sensei2 like this.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Meh, I have control of my gun. I respect it, and I know how to use it.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

I favor training, but not mandatory training. I support the rights of the private property owner to restrict the possession of firearms on his/her property. That being said, "no guns" signs do NOT carry the weight of law, as opposed to policy, except for those few places named in the Indiana Code. I support open carry, but the method some folks use to support open carry actually does more harm than good. I've seen a group of pro-open carry folks parading around various locations, including the Indiana Statehouse draped in hand guns, and long guns. I saw other Statehouse/venue visitors hustling their kids away from the folks legally carrying.... makes it tough to educate when you scare 'em first.
    sensei2 likes this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    May we see a citation or empirical evidence for your assertions concerning (They)?

BTW; I am all for gun control..meaning I use both hands when possible.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I'm in the minority then.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    I don't doubt it a bit. I would never have believed some of the politicians who are in office could ever have gotten reelected but here we are.
    This didn't happen overnight, it is a matter of conditioning. We are being conditioned to rely on government. Find out what is happening in our public schools, it will make your blood run cold.
    BurgerBoy, GunGeezer and Poorly like this.

Gun control means hitting what you are aiming at.
    tnlc9, msgt/ret, JDE101 and 2 others like this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Mayors Against Guns, the Brady Bunch, the current administration and mainstream media would like for us all to believe that at least some of the OP's assertions are true. It appears that in at least a few cases, their ongoing misinformation campaigns have worked.
    84160, Hoganbeg and JDE101 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links