Dropped my wife off at Target...

This is a discussion on Dropped my wife off at Target... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will start by saying I live in an open carry state, this situation came to mind yesterday when I dropped my wife off at ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Dropped my wife off at Target...

Dropped my wife off at Target...

I will start by saying I live in an open carry state, this situation came to mind yesterday when I dropped my wife off at the front door and parked at the end of the lot and waited for her.

We have had a few instances lately where people have been shopping while carrying rifles. Now, to the situation... After dropping your wife off at the front door of the local Target store and waiting at the end of the parking lot for her to do her shopping, you see a "shady, trench coat wearing charcter" carrying an AR 15, enter the store, what do you do?

Call your wife and tell her to go out the nearest exit, even if it sets off the store alarm?
    Call 911 and notify authorities?
    Check out the situation yourself, and find your wife inside the store to protect her?

I am interested to hear everyones responses.

2. Remove Ads

My wife would not leave the house without her sidearm, so I would assume the clown in the trenchcoat was a homeless person. N

As a retired LEO, I do not know what "shady" means. I really do believe people have a HUGE right to be 'Left-Alone'.

If I believed he was a 'possible' danger to my wife, I'd have her meet me at the door and leave. Not likely he'd get stupid with folks walking around with ARs, though.... one scream and they'd be all over him.

If she wanted to shop, I'd just go in and shop with her since we both carry (concealed).

Was the weather such that a trench coat was appropriate? Btw, if it was the Target near Creighton, I think you made a mistake going there, regardless, lol. We used to call that one "TarGhetto".
    GhostMaker likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rahmann62 View Post
    I will start by saying I live in an open carry state, this situation came to mind yesterday when I dropped my wife off at the front door and parked at the end of the lot and waited for her.

We have had a few instances lately where people have been shopping while carrying rifles. Now, to the situation... After dropping your wife off at the front door of the local Target store and waiting at the end of the parking lot for her to do her shopping, you see a "shady, trench coat wearing charcter" enter the store, what do you do?

Call your wife and tell her to go out the nearest exit, even if it sets off the store alarm?

Check out the situation yourself, and find your wife inside the store to protect her?

First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question, why would you do either of the first 2 choices?

Setting off the alarm for no reason other than your husband didn't feel comfortable could get your wife arrested.

Calling the 911 Emergency number for what? A man wearing a trench coat. That could get you hauled in for abuse of the 911 system.

Other than the fact the guy is wearing a trench coat and you feel he's shady, what is your justification? We have several homeless men in the area where I live that wear a trench coat probably 90% of the time. Only time they aren't wearing it is when it is unbearably hot.

If your concerned get out of your car and go in.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Columbo was a shady character wearing a trench coat.

How does wearing a trench coat make someone shady?
    Aceoky and mr.stuart like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

OP edited, shady person enters the store carrying an AR.
    Paco23 likes this.

Last summer my wife and I were in a pet store (big box chain). The outside temp was 105 degrees. There was a young man in the store wearing a navy peacoat, buttoned to his neck, black pants and his hands in the coat pockets. He slunked around.

I cautiously paralleled him throughout the store. He left after about 15 minutes, with his hands in the coat pockets. I don't how other customers felt, most seemed to ignored him. Maybe just a fruit cake college student. There is a young woman on the local campus who wears a navy peacoat yearround.

Just enough to make you stand up and take notice.

Eerie.
    Last edited by rangefinder; September 16th, 2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling, phat phingers
    StormRhydr likes this.
    USN Retired

VIP Member
    OP edited, shady person enters the store carrying an AR.
    My response is still the same. He isn't breaking the law. YOU don't feel comfortable. Still not justification to set off an alarm or call 911 Emergency number.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Was there a sale? Every time I've gone to Target whatever the advertise they are out of...I hate it when that happens.

What did she buy? She will need a trench coat if the weather is bad.
    Aceoky and perfection like this.
    United Daughters of the Confederacy Member

Matthew 12:36, 37

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. 37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I would go in and fine my wife and get her out of the store.
    StormRhydr and Sister like this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

If it made me uncomfortable I would text her a heads up (she carries too) and then I guess i would get out of the car and go shopping with her.

I am not calling the cops on someone who is not breaking the law.
    Aceoky and baren like this.

I think you should go with your gut, but not do anything rash until something else happens. If I thought this person was something more than someone trying to get attention, I would get out of the car, approach the man, and strike up a conversation. You would be able to tell so much more about the situation by striking up a conversation. If he was up to no good, I think it would be readily apparent at this point, and you would also be in a position to draw any fire away from your wife. Sometimes I think we are terrified to speak to other people these days, but a lot of good can come from and a lot of information can be gleaned from a simple, amicable conversation. I would probably just complement him on his AR and wait for a response.

VIP Member

We have had a few instances lately where people have been shopping while carrying rifles. Now, to the situation... After dropping your wife off at the front door of the local Target store and waiting at the end of the parking lot for her to do her shopping, you see a "shady, trench coat wearing charcter" carrying an AR 15, enter the store, what do you do?

I'm armed, she isn't, so I don't drop her off and wait in the car.
    maniacmechanic and Chief1297 like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Innocent until proven guilty.

I would just let him go about his business, just because hes doing nothing wrong, my SA might be raised a bit but thats about it.
    Maybe he just bought the rifle and was going to target to get some groceries or find a movie, or buying some spray paint to trick his rifle out or maybe he was TROLLing for some cops to become a youtube sensation. Or maybe he was just fired from that target and was going to shoot up the place..

Safety isnt freedom and freedom isnt safe.
    maniacmechanic likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I'd shoot myself so that I could start the level over and drive my wife over to the Walmart instead.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links