Why would anyone OC an AR-15???

This is a discussion on Why would anyone OC an AR-15??? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I never understood why people feel the need to OC an AR-15. Please help me understand….. I'll get this post out of the way: Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.jpg...

View Poll Results: OC'ing an AR-15 is a good idea?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

24 16.78%
  • NO

115 80.42%
  • YES, I must exercise my rights or they will be taken away (only select this if you actually OC your AR-15).

4 2.80%
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree201Likes

Thread: Why would anyone OC an AR-15???

I never understood why people feel the need to OC an AR-15. Please help me understand…..

I'll get this post out of the way:

Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.jpg
    Last edited by ddclancy; September 20th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

2. Remove Ads

Some want be youtube sensation
    Some want to execise their rights
    Some want to "educate" others
    Some dont have any other gun to defend themselves
    Whatever the reason, they dont need a reason under the law.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    I never understood why people feel the need to OC an AR-15. Please help me understand…..
    I imagine they do so in hopes of dispelling the notion that it's an "evil black rifle". If the non-firearm community sees enough of them without the carnage of a mass shooting, they won't buy into all the PC BS. It's just a carbine. Personally, I don't see it working...sheep are sheep.

Take care,

Keyth
    baren likes this.

If lawful and acceptable in the community.
    If due to state law openly carrying a sidearm is unlawful but a rifle is.
    If heading to or from a hunting/recreation situation, minus a vehicle (ie, out to the fields).
    One one's own property.
    Because it's lawful, irrespective of acceptability by some in the community.
    Because one is walking the talk, showing upstanding citizens can behave upstandingly, even with rifles.
    Because one wants to "push" the issue, which some minute percentage do (ie, the Youtube 15mins of "fame" sorts).
    Because one wants to "push" the issue nationwide (ie, Adam Kokesh's felonious stunts in DC).

IMO, in the right community, it can be a perfectly fine idea to carry a rifle. Not much different than another semi-auto multi-round rifle, really, despite the "scary" black and military-style look to the things and the smaller caliber than many other rifle. Of course, as upstanding citizens, it's also our responsibility to consider the ramifications of such situations, since not all ramifications will be within our control. In this awful and heated anti-2A climate we find ourselves, IMO that's part of the responsibility as well. As it is the responsibility of LE/DA to enforce the law, not some utopian anti-gunner alternative to the rule of law.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 20th, 2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Poorly, JDE101 and NONAME762 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    I believe there is several reasons why somebody would want to do it and I think the post by ccw9mm covers a lot of them. I don't consider myself to be shy but I also do not care to be the center of attention. I don't own a AR or anything like it but if I did there might be times when I would OC with it like a walk in the woods where I might possibly end up walking down the road. I don't ever find myself OC with it into a bank or store that would draw that kind of attention to myself. Flame me if you want but I feel that sort of display does more negative things towards our fight for the 2A.

There was a post a few months ago that showed a video of war veteran in Texas that was harassed by police officers while OC with an AR on a back country road. I do not have a problem with what that person did because it was in a rural area.
    JDE101 and Buler like this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It may be acceptable in a country like Israel, or in certain Chicago neighborhoods, but unless things get a whole lot worse in most of this country, IMHO, open carrying an AR is showing a paranoia that would pique the interest of law enforcement and justifiably so. Stupid is as stupid does. Even Forest Gump knew the difference!
    Gav1230 and SCXDm9 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    IMHO, open carrying an AR is showing a paranoia that would pique the interest of law enforcement and justifiably so. Stupid is as stupid does.
    ... only if carried for defensive purposes, and only if carried in fear.

Paranoia and SD aren't the only valid reasons to carry a rifle.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    If we all lived in Israel, or maybe Arizona, then OCing an AR would definately be a good idea. Just because a person has a right, doesnt mean its a good idea.
    EdJean, Buler and SCXDm9 like this.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.--->Herbert Spencer

Springfield xd 45, Sig Sauer SP2022(9mm),Remington 700(.308), Yugo M10 variant w/IZH Kobra optic,...and lots of ammo for all of 'em.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    Why would someone OC an AR15?

Because it is hard to CC an AR15!!!!
    Snub44, knight65, Dan060 and 10 others like this.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

IMO Ocing an AR is silly..You are just asking to wake up the sheep and have an encounter with LE. Not my idea of fun...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

To push the fence sitters over to the left and force businesses to ban guns from their stores. We keep this baiting crap up and no one will be able to bring a gun out of their houses anymore. Rights or not, is this what we truly want?

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    To push the fence sitters over to the left and force businesses to ban guns from their stores. We keep this baiting crap up and no one will be able to bring a gun out of their houses anymore. Rights or not, is this what we truly want?
    so you do agree that tact is important.
    CIBMike likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

I'm going to add that even as a gun owner with many types of guns from AR to AK to all sorts of pistols, if I see a guy open carrying an AR or similar rifle during peacetime for no reason, my hand will be 2 inches from my carry piece the whole time.

I do not know the person carrying and I have no idea what his intention are. Is he truly a good guy or a guy pretending to be good before he goes on a rampage? Does he have a criminal record? Did he lawfully possess that gun?

The issue is: DUDE I DON'T KNOW YOU!!! And you're walking around me with a high powered rifle on your back with no gang war, jihadists or rabid deer anywhere! My survival instinct will immediately tag you as a bad guy until you leave. Like it or not, that's survival instinct.

Quote Originally Posted by technomonster View Post
    so you do agree that tact is important.
    100%

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    in the rural while one is likely to need a rifle? yes.headed to the shooting range? yes. i OC my AR from the lot to the range and i use a chamber flag. roaming the city just to make a point? no. it should be allowed but i wouldn't say it's a "good idea" as a AR owner and CCer i would be bit concerned. i would not be inclined to speak to the person. i would not call the cops but i would leave the area and it would be condition orange for me depending on the persons demeanor. yes, i'm gonna profile the guy based on looks and gut feeling.
    baren likes this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links