Open Carry PA. Gettysburg

This is a discussion on Open Carry PA. Gettysburg within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Gettysburg Pa. At the Wyndhan hotel off Rt 30 . I checked in and then as i was unstrapping the luggage off ...

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Taurahe
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By Stoveman
  • 1 Post By welder516

Thread: Open Carry PA. Gettysburg

VIP Member

I was in Gettysburg Pa. At the Wyndhan hotel off Rt 30 . I checked in and then as i was unstrapping the luggage off the bike i took off my leather vest my Ruger SR9c was holstered and a couple of people always come up tp talk to me because the bike is unusal ( Sidecar ) No one says anything about the gun but i see there eyes on it . Well once we get to the elevator with our luggage . My wife says she seen Tom Selleck i then tell her sure . When we went back downstairs we find out as two other men in suits tell us they are having a Medal of Honor Dinner and retired defense sec. Bill Gates and Tom Selleck are speaking .

After we got back from dinner i strictly CC . As cops with K-9's were roaming the property . My question to anyone reading this if any Leo would ask or say something about me carrying or ask me not to carry for security reasons what would you do ?? This was a odd situation for me as my family was dressed all in Harley garb . And the people getting ready for dinner were all black tie .

The leo's there did give me the stink-eye they were standing in front of doors that were closed .
    As one person pointed out ( not my wife correcting me ) of coarse it was Robert Gates ( retired ) not Bill Gates lol
    Last edited by welder516; September 22nd, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Security people only get paid if they give everyone except their principal the "stink-eye".
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

So what if they do? If you are legal there isnt a thing they can do about it.......
    Aceoky likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Administrator
    Learn How To Dress Properly !!!
    Ditch The Harley Garb/Biker Rags & You Won't Get The Stink Eye.

Now HERE is a sidecar couple that will be WELCOME to dinner!
    welder516 likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Openly armed in full-dress Harley garb at a black tie event? Yeah, I can see getting the "stink" eye from some. But, hey, at anyplace like Gettysburg I would say there's good reason to celebrate liberty and upstanding citizenship at all times. In large part, it's why we're still standing.

Hat's off to ya.
    JDE101, Aceoky and welder516 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Once i found out what type of event it was i went back to CC . But when i was in OC people never said a word about the Gun only the Motorcycle . I also was told i could park my bike under the roof section on the side of the hotel where the party was . It was a good overall exp. and yes i was legal .

I did check PA laws before we left on vacation and OC'd in many locations with nobody said anything about the gun , even a guy i met from New Jersey in Lancaster Pa.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Well, don't know for sure what the laws are in PA., but if the VIP's were there, the security would probably be a little uneasy about OC. (I bet Tom Selleck wouldn't care one bit)
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Learn How To Dress Properly !!!
    Ditch The Harley Garb/Biker Rags & You Won't Get The Stink Eye.

Now HERE is a sidecar couple that will be WELCOME to dinner!
    Hey QK, if you did an attachment i cannot see it ???
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

Administrator

VIP Member
    Stink eye never hurt anybody.....

You were perfectly legal, don't fret it. How were you to know that some function was going on during your trip?

A lot of people judge the book by it's cover, but most of the people I know/meet riding Harleys are professionals; doctors, lawyers, ceo's, etc...

Most of the time hotels will let you park the bike underneath the front overhang, I have even had some clerks mention it before I do. The ones that don't get the privilege of having their towels clean the road off my Road King.....
    welder516 likes this.

If you can legally OC around 1000 feet from the President in PA, you can OC around bill gates and Tom sellick.

Glad it went well (minus the stink eye).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    welder516 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    The retired Secretary of Defense is Dr. Robert Gates. Bill Gates ran MicroSoft.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

VIP Member
    I'm pretty sure you can OC around Bill Gates as well....

He's a pretty big lib from what I understand, so it would probably get his undies in a wad.....win, win...
    Aceoky and welder516 like this.

VIP Member
    My bad i picked the wrong Gate(s)
    Aceoky likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    1775 Thomas Paine

The people of Gettysburg are pretty use to seeing people in "Harley garb". York, PA, where Harley has a factory that makes their touring models and the "custom" Screaming Eagle models is just a few miles further east on Hwy 30. Been there a couple of time on my Harley and in my "Harley garb".
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Links