OC / Sbux and Tom Gresham

This is a discussion on OC / Sbux and Tom Gresham within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Even radio/television host Tom Gresham who no one can say doesn't represent gun owners and their rights every day of the year has come out ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 3 Post By Aceoky

Thread: OC / Sbux and Tom Gresham

OC / Sbux and Tom Gresham

Even radio/television host Tom Gresham who no one can say doesn't represent gun owners and their rights every day of the year has come out against the in your face open carry advocates (especially long gun open carry) after Sbux issued a revised firearms policy this week. In your face OC didn't work in California and resulted in the practice being completely outlawed. Good judgement is called for when choosing to OC so use some common sense. Sticking to your guns and open carrying anywhere you "wish to make statement" may result in a total loss of the right through policy and /or legislation.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by HKdog View Post
    Even radio/television host Tom Gresham who no one can say doesn't represent gun owners and their rights every day of the year has come out against the in your face open carry advocates (especially long gun open carry) after Sbux issued a revised firearms policy this week. In your face OC didn't work in California and resulted in the practice being completely outlawed. Good judgement is called for when choosing to OC so use some common sense. Sticking to your guns and open carrying anywhere you "wish to make statement" may result in a total loss of the right through policy and /or legislation.

That presumes any but a miniscule percentage carry to "make a statement."

But it's reflective of how powerful the mob sentiment can be, that it can result in erasure of constitutionally-protected rights. Worth considering, absolutely.

BTW, there's already a thread going, jumping on the same thing: click.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

after Sbux issued a revised firearms policy
    That is a gross exaggeration (at best ) and it's not even slightly true SB CEO "made a request" did not alter policy at all, and in fact they will still serve OC same as always and not ask you to leave UNLESS you're disruptive (which they will do regardless of OC ) SB was NEVER "pro gun" they simply do what every other National chain/ business does and follow state and local laws (as IF there is a choice here) Sadly some folks fell for the "Coffee and Guns" stickers etc. and supported them on that premise which SB sure seemed to "embrace" for at least a couple of years. When one places focus on the other issues that SB does in fact embrace - well tigers don't change their stripes .

That being said- I DO believe the CEO made it clear how he feels about gun owners and (IMO) the lack of respect for OC and the 2nd but you know what they say about opinions.

Bottom line read what was actually stated and make up your own minds on whether you still want to spend your hard earned $$$ @ SB or someplace that did not USE this and LOVE OC $ then "make a request " while bashing gun folks (IMO) It is Your $$$ - Your choice decision to make IMO

Welcome to Defensive Carry!

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    Tom has carried open on many occasions. I know Tom and he is a nice guy but he also follows a money trail. But he DOES NOT speak for the majority of gunners either. His listening audience is about 200 stations across the country and at a time when listeners are not in large numbers. That said, I wish every gun owner would listen to GunTalk and join his website.

Now to correct the idea Tom is anti OC. He is like I am in being anti long gun OC because it draws the ire of the anti gunners and their media pressure is greater than the gunners. I am certainly pro gun in all forms. I am all for people owning the guns they want. I am of the opinion that OC for the long gun people is just too upsetting in the media perception and I think those that OC long guns are doing so to attract attention.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    Tom has carried open on many occasions. I know Tom and he is a nice guy but he also follows a money trail. But he DOES NOT speak for the majority of gunners either.
    Now to correct the idea Tom is anti OC.
    To Clarify:
    I do believe Tom does represent the greater majority of gun owners regarding this topic and most others... and neither I or Tom stated he was against OC.

In Tom's recent broadcast he didn't state that he was against open carry. He did state that he was against open carry, especially long guns, when it done for the in your face type confrontations and publicity we've seen at Sbux and other places. Tom was asking for gun owners to recognize that the practice was actually furthering a negative impression of gun owners among the non-gun owning public and would eventually result in further restriction of gun rights. It was a request for common sense.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HKdog View Post
    To Clarify:
    I do believe Tom does represent the greater majority of gun owners regarding this topic and most others... and neither I or Tom stated he was against OC.

In Tom's recent broadcast he didn't state that he was against open carry. He did state that he was against open carry, especially long guns, when it done for the in your face type confrontations and publicity we've seen at Sbux and other places. Tom was asking for gun owners to recognize that the practice was actually furthering a negative impression of gun owners among the non-gun owning public and would eventually result in further restriction of gun rights. It was a request for common sense.

Something that there is a dearth of, nowadays......

Links