In-Laws own safes full of guns, against OC/CC.

This is a discussion on In-Laws own safes full of guns, against OC/CC. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife's family is full of Army Vets. Her grandfather in particular is what most would call a gun lover. He has two large safes ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree223Likes

Thread: In-Laws own safes full of guns, against OC/CC.

In-Laws own safes full of guns, against OC/CC.

My wife's family is full of Army Vets. Her grandfather in particular is what most would call a gun lover. He has two large safes packed with assorted rifles and handguns. He hunts regularly and plinks on his property from time to time. I've just started carrying in the past few months. My wife and I spend a good bit of time visiting them. After a couple dozen trips to their place while OC'ing, he tells me he wants me to leave my gun in the car while I'm there. Says there's no real reason to carry there, or most places. He only takes a gun when he's going to be in a "bad area". We discussed, and he agreed, how there was no way to truly predict when it would be necessary to defend myself since bad can happen anywhere. He still said he would be more comfortable if I didn't bring my gun in the house.

I respect his right to ask me to not carry in his home, and I won't so I don't upset him or my wife. Just seems odd that someone who fought for our country, and owns multiple guns, would be anti carry.

Anyone else out there in a similar situation, or know someone who is like this?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Lots of people have preconceived notions of how things should be, while refusing to see how things are.

They are living in a time bubble when carrying a gun was not needed so much when the respect level in society was much higher than it is today.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I know plenty of people that would not want OC in their house, and that is ok with me. Maybe this relative of yours figures he can handle it if a gun is needed,who knows.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

VIP Member
    I do not OC - particularly in anyone's home. That includes friends and relatives! I do CC and keep my mouth shut about it. No problems.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    My family is evenly split on this. Half are in the one gun camp, Where you only need that one gun for hunting, HD, ETC.... And the other half would have a battle tank parked in the yard if possible. I have two relitives who own safe moving equipment. They are the only ones who really know how many we have. But its funny some of the biggest gun guys dont have any use for a pistol, and look down at anyone who carrys one. Go figuire? DR

Yeah, well in addition to what the others said, you are also the guy that took his daughter away. Just sayin'.

LCP, pocket carry, all is well.

Not everyone is own the same page when it comes to guns and gun rights. Many people that own guns don't carry guns. My own wife does not really see any reason why you need an M4 and she carries a gun. I see a down side to open carry myself. I am not against open carry, I just understand that it makes people uncomfortable which can bring on restrictions. I got my first conceal carry permit in 1980 and I still remember how I felt when I first started carrying. I felt like I was doing something I wasn't suppose to and made sure I kept it on the down low.
    I am retired military as are most of my friends. Most of them don't carry and the only time they ever see their gun is for plinking.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post
    My wife's family is full of Army Vets. Her grandfather in particular is what most would call a gun lover. He has two large safes packed with assorted rifles and handguns. He hunts regularly and plinks on his property from time to time. I've just started carrying in the past few months. My wife and I spend a good bit of time visiting them. After a couple dozen trips to their place while OC'ing, he tells me he wants me to leave my gun in the car while I'm there. Says there's no real reason to carry there, or most places. He only takes a gun when he's going to be in a "bad area". We discussed, and he agreed, how there was no way to truly predict when it would be necessary to defend myself since bad can happen anywhere. He still said he would be more comfortable if I didn't bring my gun in the house.

I respect his right to ask me to not carry in his home, and I won't so I don't upset him or my wife. Just seems odd that someone who fought for our country, and owns multiple guns, would be anti carry.

Anyone else out there in a similar situation, or know someone who is like this?
    I wouldn't want you open carrying at my house, either.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

I would have informed my father in law that if that is his decision he is more than welcome to visit me anytime at my home, armed or not armed as is his pleasure and right to be. And I myself would not go back to his abode. But that is just me.
    tony1990, ccw9mm, ntkb and 6 others like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

My wife asks me why I wear my AIWB around the house. I tell her in case i need it. She thinks I'm paranoid. I tell don't worry about it. The gun is not going to jump out of the holster and open fire by itself.

My in-laws are non-gun types. I CC when I visit (as does my wife), but her folks, dad is a WWII vet, would have a stroke if they knew.
    Such is one reason to NOT open-carry when NOT necessary... now you are legally prohibited from packing on in-laws property.

However, they all know my wife will not leave a room, much less the house, unarmed. It is don't ask, don't tell around most family.
    I am retired LE, so that is supposed to make me different?

Our two boys know we are always packin' and one is an M16 fanatic. Oddly, my wife (retired) is always the first called when any family needs a babysitter.
    My wife's niece told her she 'knows' her daughter is 100% "safe" when she is with my wife. All her family knows she is an incredible shooter.

Myself, I believe e/one has the right to open carry, but I also think walking around town or Walmart with an AR15 over ones shoulder, will just scare soccer-moms and elderly folks into voting for 'Gun-Control'.
    Sometimes, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

I bet they wouldn't have said that if you were a cop.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    I bet they wouldn't have said that if you were a cop.
    Or if frogs had wings.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Probably not if frogs had wings. But I bet they would have said it anyway if brown cows gave chocolate milk
    Aceoky and cjohnson44546 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    My wife asks me why I wear my AIWB around the house. I tell her in case i need it. She thinks I'm paranoid. I tell don't worry about it. The gun is not going to jump out of the holster and open fire by itself.
    One day years ago I drew my gun on some punk trying to brake into my infant son's room. My son was asleep in his crib right below the window.

Don't worry about your wife's opinion, let her have it. You are doing the right thing by safeguarding your family. Keep it up. You're being a man and that's something to be proud of.
    Ghost1958, CIBMike and Wolf357 like this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links