MWAG Email

MWAG Email

This is a discussion on MWAG Email within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had to go back to California Pizza Kitchen in Arlington, VA last night. The regular manager had the night off. After the last customer left ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: MWAG Email

VIP Member

MWAG Email

Had to go back to California Pizza Kitchen in Arlington, VA last night. The regular manager had the night off.

After the last customer left we got started and about an hour later the manager came over and was sitting at the bar (couple feet away) watching us. After a while he chuckles and told us that "I would stay and baby sit you guys until the cleaning crew comes at midnite, but I see you're packin' and will probably be okay."

I'm thinking this guy gets it, we say our niceties, he leaves and we proceed to complete the job, getting home around 3 am.

About 1:30 this afternoon my customer, a General Contractor based in Boston, calls me (he was a little excited) and the conversation went like this:

Me: Hello?

GC: Hey, Stoveman, it's GC. Were you on site last night or was it two of your guys?

Me: I was there with one other guy.

GC: Did either of you have a gun?

Me: Yes

GC: Really? You had a gun last night?

Me: Yes.

GC: Seriously, why? Why would you carry a gun?

Me: A cop is too heavy.

GC: I got this email from corporate. Apparently the manager took a picture of you and sent it up the chain and they're breathing down my neck.

Here's the text of the email. I x'd out the names.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, October 11, 2013 1:11 PM
    To: xxx; xxx; xxxx xxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Hopefully he doesn't slip!

Hopefully this guy doesn't slip while reaching for his tape measure!
    All kidding aside - this is completely unacceptable. This is the stainless guy - and whether this gentleman has his carry and or concealed permit or not is irrelevant - this is NEVER acceptable. Who was the super on the job and why did he allow this?

Here's the picture that was attached to the email. Guess I looked pretty threatening with that welding torch in my hand.

I hadn't seen the email yet when the GC called me.

After the above exchange with the GC I told him about the conversation with the manager last night and we also had a nice conversation about the carry laws in VA and that OC is not uncommon. He finally got it (I think).

This was absolutely the first negative response I have ever received about OC'ing....

Moral of the story -

1. Not everyone who appears to get it does. (the CPK manager)
    2. Know the laws of the state cold.
    3. Be able to articulate those laws in a calm and rational manner when questioned.
    4. California Pizza Kitchen is anti gun.

VIP Member
    Stove , I don't think most people get it (we get it here) but i never OC in front of my employees for that reason . I have a couple libs that are good fabricators and I don't want to rock the boat .

Once all my employees leave for the day i do OC for the extra hour or so at the end of the day . Salespeople that came later in the day have seen me open carry .
    I won't even OC in front of my employees in VA when we were working at the Costco in Sterling . But once i leave i OC from that point and if i stop for lunch in VA.

You were within the law and following the law but still have to hear the grief and have the possibilty of losing business and work . It sucks all ways i know .
    oneshot likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

It's California Pizza Kitchen. Why are you surprised?

Really though, nothing you did seems out of line at all. If you OC enough a negative encounter will eventually happen. There are just too many idiots for it not to. However, as I'm sure you know, the negatives are few and far between and are far surpassed by neutral and positive interactions. Carry on!
    Rock and Glock and Mr B like this.

Its only a Job.....
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    So, did your contractor back you up when he spoke with his corporate client? I hope this doesn't affect the amount of work he throws your way.

Just another reason why I favor concealed carry; it limits the interference from the sheep.

P.S. I think the response, "Because a cop is too heavy", while true, comes off as cliche and flippant. If the person asking were capable of understanding the implications, they wouldn't be asking in the first place. He needs something more solid to tell corporate that they can relate to. Something like: "We were there alone in the wee hours of the morning with no one else to watch our backs while we worked or went back and forth to the truck for tools, etc. and knowing police response times we could be dead unless we had a way of defending ourselves."

Keep us apprised of how this develops, if you will. Good luck!

VIP Member
    Not sure who the GC your working for is, large or small independent one. I know most of the larger ones (Gilbane, KBS, WM Jordan, Whiting Turner) have a written no weapons policy that they enforce. I always left mine locked in the truck when arriving at the job site.
    welder516 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I never OC on a customers premise and I am the boss. It prevents from having problems such as yours.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Even as uniformed, armed security, I get grief from client employees. Too many sheep....
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    So, did your contractor back you up when he spoke with his corporate client? I hope this doesn't affect the amount of work he throws your way.

Just another reason why I favor concealed carry; it limits the interference from the sheep.

P.S. I think the response, "Because a cop is too heavy", while true, comes off as cliche and flippant. If the person asking were capable of understanding the implications, they wouldn't be asking in the first place. He needs something more solid to tell corporate that they can relate to. Something like: "We were there alone in the wee hours of the morning with no one else to watch our backs while we worked or went back and forth to the truck for tools, etc. and knowing police response times we could be dead unless we had a way of defending ourselves."

Keep us apprised of how this develops, if you will. Good luck!
    I have no idea if he backed me up or not and really don't care as we did nothing wrong. As long as the invoice gets paid I'm golden....

This was actually my first job for this customer. If I get no more business from him it's definitely not the end of the world. If the manager really had a stiffy for guns he could have told us about their corporate policy and we would have locked them in the truck.

Obviously the manager on duty was a spineless sack and if he worked for me and didn't enforce company policy (although obviously misguided in this case) he would have been shown the door....

Shame on these idiots for not knowing state law...
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I'm of the opinion that most people don't even know the laws about operating their motor vehicles and they consider gun laws to be arcana.
    gatorbait51 and oneshot like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welder516 View Post
    Stove , I don't think most people get it (we get it here) but i never OC in front of my employees for that reason . I have a couple libs that are good fabricators and I don't want to rock the boat .

Once all my employees leave for the day i do OC for the extra hour or so at the end of the day . Salespeople that came later in the day have seen me open carry .
    I won't even OC in front of my employees in VA when we were working at the Costco in Sterling . But once i leave i OC from that point and if i stop for lunch in VA.

You were within the law and following the law but still have to hear the grief and have the possibilty of losing business and work . It sucks all ways i know .

I hear ya, but my company is set up a little different. All of my employees know where I stand on guns and the 2A. Half the company have their permits. OC or CC is encouraged where legal while we are working. The other guy I was working with last night was carrying also, I just happened to be the one photographed.

We do company "team builders" at the range, which is a PC way to say we take off early on a Friday and go blastin!

Instead of a company picnic last summer I took the guys ATV riding for a weekend and everyone was carrying.

Nothing is going to change because of this one incident, if anything it was a chance to enlighten one of the sheeple to the way it should be....
    ccw9mm, Qtip, Ghost1958 and 4 others like this.

Some are two-faced, some are backstabbers, and those with forked-tongues...they will always be around.
    What a shame, eh?

Ahhhhhhhhh...Quick, everyone run!

...why are we running? I have no idea, but he DID say run!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I never OC on a customers premise and I am the boss. It prevents from having problems such as yours.
    To each their own....

I am also the boss (owner) of my company and OC wherever legal and this is the first time I have had any kind of issue.

If a regular customer requested that I not carry at their establishment then I would certainly honor their request and continue to do work for them, albeit for a higher price...
    BigJon10125 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    I don't see what the problem is. You were in casual/street wear, and the generally accepted rule is: For casual dress, any handgun and holster combination is acceptable. Pancake, yaqui, polymer, leather it does not matter. In situations in which casual attire is acceptable, you may walk in confidence with any choice of holster and handgun combination.

Source: Open Carry - A simple code of rules we should all follow

(I love citing myself as authority).

Seriously, I do carry OWB, but under a long T shirt or untucked shirt. Too many people don't get it, and I'm too old to give a dang to try and change their minds.

I hope this does not cause you problems in your job.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Maybe next time if you work for em again catch this guy grounded real good and accidentally brush him with the stinger
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links