Yet another benefit of open carry

This is a discussion on Yet another benefit of open carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I stopped at a local auto parts store on the way home today. Sig is open carry in a thumb break owb. I notice a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Yet another benefit of open carry

I stopped at a local auto parts store on the way home today. Sig is open carry in a thumb break owb. I notice a guy going person to person/car to car asking for change as I pull in. As I'm walking to the store, he approaches. He noticeably stops, stumbles and proceeds in the other direction.

Pan handling is not allowed. I assume he thought I was a cop. Either way, added benefit to open carry.

Added visual deterrent to uncomfortable situations ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    "Ours is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea." ~John Gunther

VIP Member
    Good for you. There are some drawbacks, as others have noted on other threads. We were at our local liqour/wine store a couple weeks ago and just as we were about to get out of the car we noticed an older man (probably younger than we are) come out of the store wearing an empty holster. (Store is not posted) He got to his truck which was right next to our car, opened the door, reached in for his gun, holstered it and then got in the truck and drove away.

This old fella was smart enough to know that if he walked into a liqour store OC he might cause a rucus - or a lot of consternation at least. So, there are good things about OC and not so good things depending on the situation.

Glad your OC worked in such a positive way for you though.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

It is probably more likely carrying open in the City will "SCARE" 20 or so Soccer Moms into voting for more restrictive Gun-Control measures.

We just don't need that. Most Good Citizens are irrationally afraid of strangers with firearms.

There are proper times and places for "Open Carry".
    gatorbait51, SCXDm9 and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Soccer moms are more likely to scare me into pushing for more driving restrictions.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Aceoky likes this.

i have people give me a wide berth when they notice i'm OCing but never had anyone come towards me with intent to engage in solicitation and abruptly turn around after noticing the firearm. hehe pretty funny.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

I've often wondered if normal people think open carriers are off duty cops and thus don't mind it. If I open carried I'd be at my best dressed and behaved. I've often wondered how rude or blasť people would act if they knew they were talking to an armed person. I bet they would assume a much kinder tone. An armed society may indeed be a polite society.

VIP Member
    I have OC'd a few times with no negative responses . But i also look at the situation to make a decent decision on when and where even if legal .

As for dress i am wearing jeans and a harley shirt .
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Good for you. There are some drawbacks, as others have noted on other threads. We were at our local liqour/wine store a couple weeks ago and just as we were about to get out of the car we noticed an older man (probably younger than we are) come out of the store wearing an empty holster. (Store is not posted) He got to his truck which was right next to our car, opened the door, reached in for his gun, holstered it and then got in the truck and drove away.

This old fella was smart enough to know that if he walked into a liqour store OC he might cause a rucus - or a lot of consternation at least. So, there are good things about OC and not so good things depending on the situation.

It may be because some states like mine make it a 2 year prison felony for walking armed into a store whose business is mainly the sale of alcohol. IMO maybe the old man knew his state laws.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    It may be because some states like mine make it a 2 year prison felony for walking armed into a store whose business is mainly the sale of alcohol. IMO maybe the old man knew his state laws.
    In the state where we live it is not illegal to go into a place that sells alcohol while carrying a gun. Unless the place is posted. This was not posted. It is illegal to drink while carrying, but that is hardly possible in a package store.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Yeah, I live in TN. OC is no big deal here.

I would assume many just think we are off duty cops but I see plenty of people concealing poorly all the time. Think full size glock owb under an underarmour tee.

gatorbait51 likes this.

Good to know there are OCers in Nashville. I've OCed some there with no problems.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post

Because????
    gatorbait51 and carracer like this.

I cc most of the time however some days I oc. If I'm with my kids, especially a kid friendly agenda, I cc. If its just me or if we're just making a run to the store I oc.

I prefer to oc however sometimes its not appropriate.

gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    I cc most of the time however some days I oc. If I'm with my kids, especially a kid friendly agenda, I cc. If its just me or if we're just making a run to the store I oc.

I prefer to oc however sometimes its not appropriate.

Your opinion.....
    gatorbait51 and carracer like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links