Defensive Carry banner

Has anyone ever attempted to grab your gun while OCing?

• No

Votes: 82 93.2%
  • They looked like they were thinking about it

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 4.5%

Open Carry and Attempted Gun Grabs

9K views 113 replies 39 participants last post by  stylus 
#1 ·
My wife recently took her CCW class, and one of the other participants had been open carrying for a while since he didn't have his permit. By all accounts (hers and the instructor's) the guy was a careless, obnoxious, and unsafe know-it-all. That said, one of the reasons he was finally taking the class was that he claimed to have had several attempts by people to grab his gun while OCing. This is one of the things keeping me from OCing more. So, what's your experience? Have you, OCing, ever had someone attempt to grab your gun, or seen someone that looked like they might try? How did you deal with it if so?

#42 ·
i only OC my pistol on private land, and sometimes i OC my AR at the range. no one ever tried to grab either. i have been asked "is that real? " a few times by visitors.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#44 ·
When I was much younger 20+years ago I routinely OCed out on DNR land. I was always by myself. More recently in 2010 while with a pal I OCed while we were in a GI surplus store. Both of us bought stuff and we acted above board the entire time. The report my friend gave me afterwards convinced me that CC is the only way to go.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#47 ·
The only time I OC is when hunting or fishing in the greater rural areas............ heck, it takes most of the day to pull the Blackhawk .44 out of the holster. It would be more like 'Grab and Hug'.

#49 ·
During my law enforcement career I had several people attempt to take my gun. These are life and death struggles. Anyone that thinks that someone who will attempt to disarm a big strong cop and will not attempt the same on them because they are a "civilian" are delusional.

#50 ·
Hmmm, then why are there not more stories about life and death struggles with OC'ers and BG's and or folks trying to take their guns away? Maybe because the LE aspect of the anaalogy is flawed. As a LEO you are going to be interacting with BG's and you are proactive in stopping BG's.

The OC'er does not. But then again....I might be delusional LOL.

FOlks that OC for the most part are very much aware of their surroundings and many of us are very well trained in how we carry. When it becomes a problem then I will worry about the life and death struggles.

#55 ·
Where the LE analogy is flawed is this. I seriously doubt any BGs make a habit of coming up to a cop and trying to take his gun out of the blue.

Cops get into these attempts to have their weapons taken as a result of attempting to use physical force to effect the arrest, get into a physical struggle with a BG and the BG if hes that serious about getting away goes for the officers gun.

Civilians dont do that. I CC and I OC wife OCs until her permit comes in and has for years as I did before CC. I suppose its happened to a civilian walking around in public but Ive never been able to find an instance of it by searching for it.

#56 ·
Cops get into these attempts to have their weapons taken as a result of attempting to use physical force to effect the arrest, get into a physical struggle with a BG and the BG if hes that serious about getting away goes for the officers gun.
Yep, Of 63 Cops killed in 2011 3 were killed with their own gun. These are a few stories I found with 5 minutes of Google-foo. We are not going to agree.

Guy with the gun robbed of his gun, because he had one. Was the robber afraid? Don't think so. - YouTube

Unarmed man attempts to rob EMU student of holstered gun

Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs

Teen homicide suspects have criminal histories - Richmond Times-Dispatch: News, Crime & Politics For Richmond Metro Area

Witness: Shooting victim tried to defuse dispute, ditched open-carry pistol | CJOnline.com

#57 ·
Well your better at Googfu than I am LOL. But we are talking from what I can tell a period covering at least six years on those. And one guy disarmed himself which he probably would have done anyway if that was his mindset.

We dont have to agree, heck if we all agreed on everything we wouldnt have anything to be on the forum about would we LOL?

As I said I suppose it does happen. I hadnt found it myself. Doesnt appear to happen very often. I will still stand by my statement that a LEO is way more likely to have an attempt made to get his gun than a regular person simply because of the job and what it entails. :smile:

#60 ·
Yes...but I was a cop and on duty. I have survived 2 gun grab attempts during my career. They all ended the same....:Slip:

#62 ·
Oh, and here's what happens when a "fully-trained" security guard [illegally] attempts to sneak up on and disarm an "unsuspecting", well-trained OCer.
I had to laugh, using fully trained and security guard in the same sentence.

Hundreds or thousands of people OC every day. You do the math on the odds of a gun snatch to non-uniformed OCers.
I think you better check your math. I do not like statistics, but I would wager that in the US there are many times more LE/Security OCing at any one time than there are people trying to make a political statement, that in itself affects the odds.

You might find yourself in an embarrasing position of underestimating me. (Just wondering if you underestimate civilians in general..I have heard that is what gets LEO's killed-complantency) And I can honestly say that I am much better trained than many LE out there in many areas.
Nope made no assumptions whatsoever, I just like to know what it is that you base your assumptions on. The truth is, it is not very hard to be trained better than most cops, because most cops are lazy, I can say that because I was a cop and I saw it.

#64 ·
I had to laugh, using fully trained and security guard in the same sentence.
Bahah...bahaha...BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......(hang on a second I'm laughing to hard) :INBath2Urinal: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#68 ·
I only OC very rarely- usually out in the woods; not so much in public.

I see the OP is in NM; so am I. Coincidentally, the only story I have ever seen in the news about this subject happened in Albuquerque back in 2011. I try to take notice of discussions such as these and have never seen anything else specifically mentioning a gun-grab attempt on an open-carrying civilian.

It should be noted that in this case, the grabber was apparently a person with mental issues. Also of note is the fact that the carrier was in a place he should not have been OC'ing- in an alcohol establishment, a big no-no here.

Two links to the same story:

Open Carrier Arrested After Scuffle

Melee Breaks Out Over Open Carry Gun At West Side Garcia's (Albuquerque) - Democratic Underground

#73 ·
The hundreds or thousands number was directed at non-LEO OC. With LEO, that number jumps to a few hundred thousand I'm sure. It could affect the odds overall, but not when you study the two groups separately.
If there OC movement had "hundreds of thousands" of people it would not be considered fringe group activity.

Even as an LEO, you said 3 were killed with their own gun in 2011.

Actually the FBI said, but I get your point.

There are about 1.1 million full-time LEO in the US (2008 data from Wikipedia). Let's just say that only half of those (of course, it's closer to 70%) work each day. That's 550,000 man-days of OCing every day. Out of an entire year, 3 were killed with their own gun. Let's do the math. (365 x 350,000) ÷ 3 = 66.9 million. The odds of a full-time LEO having their gun taken and then being killed with it on any given day are 1 in 66.9 million. Conservatively, if your number of 3 killed with their own gun was correct.
Thats great unless you are the one.

If you're worried about OCing on duty, you definitely shouldn't be driving.
Never said I was, did it for 32 years in uniform and have been doing it for 2 years and counting as a contractor (when on duty).

And these 3 deaths are by officers who do seek out, arrest, and otherwise contact dangerous criminals on a daily basis (which I am very grateful for).
Or were standing in line at the 7-11 I don't have the data on the specifics, so I refuse to speculate.

If an officer's risk is that low OCing, I really don't think I have much to worry about when I OC, especially with basic retention training and good situational awareness.
As always it is you life and your decision. I seriously doubt you are using a duty belt and a level 2 or better retention holster. If you refuse advice from someone has has been there I wish you the best of luck.

#78 ·
If there OC movement had "hundreds of thousands" of people it would not be considered fringe group activity.

Or were standing in line at the 7-11 I don't have the data on the specifics, so I refuse to speculate.

As always it is you life and your decision. I seriously doubt you are using a duty belt and a level 2 or better retention holster.
I said hundreds OR.., not hundreds OF. Big difference.

Didn't speculate the cause, just stated that LEO do intentionally face dangers in general that non-LEO do not. Doesn't affect the point either way.

I use a quality, leather gun belt and a Level 2 holster, and would not OC in public with anything less. I also have (and practice) retention training. I don't do it to make a political statement, and definitely not to seek attention. For that matter, I don't really OC that often.

#80 ·
It is a little off-topic, but you make a good point about gun grabs from CCers. Of course, there are a variety of circumstances that would bring that about, but it can happen. A snug-fitting holster and good SA sure help a lot while CCing as well. I would still recommend that other who CC have some retention practice as well. It sure can't hurt. :yup:

#81 ·
Here's the thing about these stories. These people were victimized because they openly carried a gun, right? What about concealed carriers who were victimized because they didn't appear to be carrying a gun? (Seemed like easy prey...It can go both ways!!) What about concealed carriers who didn't have time to draw from concealment quickly enough and lost the gun fight?
This is the whole issue right here. It is not the presence of a gun that makes you a victim, or makes you less of a target. It is your presence, your bearing, your attitude, the way you carry yourself. It is what the predator looks at while performing the target selection process. You want to be the guy or gal that the predator looks at and says to himself "Not today".

A fat slob with a slung AK-47 is still a ripe target. It is all about what is the motivation level of the predator vs his prey. Cop killers have been captured without a fight because the cop arresting him looked like he had it together.

There have been many cases where the predators target selection process was faulty and they paid dearly.

If your quick draw is needed to save your life, your SA has failed you MISERABLY.

#82 ·
Don't know it is O/T or not but these evening there's an OC meeting at Jimmy John's in Elmwood. So far there appear to be 15-20 people going and I thought I'd go see about it. Louisiana is already and open carry state and it is not all that odd. I think the purpose of this is to simply have peoples' neighbors to realize this behavior is normal, that OC (and CC) is normal. I'll make a report when I return from it.

At any rate, to carry open is an option here and if it is not abused, ie , "Hey there, lookit mah gun! " most of our fellow citizens notice nothing at all. There are downsides to all forms of carry .

#93 ·
Two days late. Sorry gang, I know all were waiting in breathless anticipation. Meeting had eight people, including me. It was a very pleasing, very laid back meet, nothing untoward. We fielded exactly ONE question from another customer who was exceptionally nice and very curious. Hopefully he went away feeling a lot less intimidated by sidearms, seemed too , anyway. It was nice to meet new people, all were a little slice of everyman. Sorry , no ladies.. yet .
The restaurant/shop management were very nice, seemed to be ultra supportive as well.

The purpose of this exercise was no big 2A statement, no chest beating, just a small attempt get people to think about the fact that their friends and neighbors also carry . I think it worked, one step at a time.

#84 · (Edited)
Horse hockey...Of the purest kind. I could just as easily claim, "Nothing good comes from sneaking around like a common criminal with a gun hidden under your shirt." And lots of bad things can still happen with a concealed weapon.

You see, horse hockey goes both ways when one chooses to be ridiculous.

#92 ·
No but I was sorely tempted to grab another's gun on an occasion. Grab it isn't really the right term but rather "pluck" would apply

My wife and I were standing in and unusually long line late one evening at the Wendy's on I-30 in Hope Arkansas. A sheriff's deputy was also in line with us. He was carrying a J-Frame Smith & Wesson in belt holster designed for a much larger short-barrelled revolver with not even a retention strap and hanging out for all to see. Don't know what the holster was designed for but it was for something considerably larger than that little Smith & Wesson which was positively wallowing around in there. A young fellow, he was also very inattentive and distracted, joking around and posturing for others in the line. I do believe I could have just lifted the revolver out of that holster and he'd have never felt it. Had to be the most irresponsible thing I've ever observed a lawman to do.

#102 ·
Sometimes I OC because it's more comfortable than CCing. Most people don't even notice. If you want attention, there's better ways than OCing a pistol.

I also don't go walking down the middle of town with no destination or purpose with a camera waiting for the cops to pull me over.
To each his own, but that's not what I OC.

I OC because, like I said, it's more comfortable; sometimes it's easier to OC because not all of my clothing lends itself to easy CC; I usually OC at my house and I don't always take the time to take my belt off to remove my OWB holster if I have to leave; OCing in my car is more comfortable than CCing and I might be driving for a while.

There's a whole number of reasons that I do and don't OC at different times. Sometimes, I even do it just because I can. If you've got options, use them, right?

#104 ·
I think the reason you OC or CC is a personal choice as long as it does not break the law then it is your Right to do so .

We all are looking for the same thing and that is follow the law and if we can educate people to a basic right we all should have .
The times i have OC'd i do it because i can and i CC because i can, not to prove a point i am too old to prove anything to anybody .:tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.