No purchase permit in NC help

This is a discussion on No purchase permit in NC help within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, new member here, and alot of good information on this forum, glad I joined. My problem is that I aquired a handgun from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: No purchase permit in NC help

Hello, new member here, and alot of good information on this forum, glad I joined. My problem is that I aquired a handgun from a craigslist transaction over a year ago here in North Carolina, I have it as a home defense weapon right now, just an older H&R .32 six shot revolver. I didnt know anything at the time about purchase permits and proper gun transactions. The owner was from South Carolina. I would like to OC but dont know if I can, do I need paperwork with me? Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Nick

You have much bigger issues other than just no NC pistol purchase permit for the transaction. Handgun transactions between residents of different states had a federal law requirement to be handled by a FFL in the handgun recipients state of residence. You can not deal directly with a private resident of a different state on firearms transfers of ownership.
    Secret Spuk and msgt/ret like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

What you have here are two different situations.

Might you have violated NC law if they require a purchase permit? I don't know, but if I were you I don't think I would draw attention to that fact if you think you might have.

Check the laws in your state but if you are above the required age and not a felon, carry on, openly that is.

VIP Member
    Missed the SC part.....

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but what the heck does he do now? Probably not going to be able to have the seller give him back his money, I certainly wouldn't carry that gun on the very low chance that he has to use it and then LE discovers that he obtained it illegally....

I was selling some used car audio I had laying around and he offered me the handgun and some cash. I am old enough 44, not a felon. Is this something I can ask at the local police station? Or just purchase another handgun with the proper permits and keep this one for home use only?

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    I'm from S.C.You can't legally buy or sell privately a handgun from 2 different states,i don't think.

I can't speak for N.C. but i do know so far as S.C. the only thing a person has to worry about is making sure the serial numbers on the gun are there and the gun isn't stolen.

I've had my gun checked a total of 2 times.Once at a license check and once when i got pulled for speeding.I was carrying and i have a CCP so i had to inform the LEO..All they did was run the serial numbers on the gun to make sure it wasn't stolen and that was it.

And when you own a handgun here in NC whether its for OC or CC, is there paperwork you have to carry with you about the gun? I know CC you have a card for that.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Is this something I can ask at the local police station?"

Uh, no, not unless you want to admit to a crime--both state and federal. I'm not a lawyer but you need to inquire of one. I'd say no more about it until then. It's tough to "undo" an illegal "acquisition."
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It does have the serial numbers on it. Maybe ask a cop friend to run them?

Ex Member Array Manderinobyebye's Avatar
    If you know a cop maybe tell them you are looking into buying a gun and could they check the serial numbers to make sure it isn't stolen.

If it is stolen,what would the cop then do?

Not to be rude or anything,we all have to learn but buying a gun you may want to learn the laws first.
    Brent95 likes this.

It doesn't matter if the gun is stolen, or not stolen. It doesn't matter if you have papers to CC or want to OC. It doesn't matter if you are old enough or don't have a felony record. You have the gun illegally. You broke federal law when the gun's ownership crossed state lines without going through a FFL, and you broke NC law when you purchased a handgun without a purchase permit or CHP.

But seriously, what the heck does he do now? I'm guessing the only stay out of trouble is one of those fancy no questions asked gun buy backs?

Quote Originally Posted by nikogto View Post
    It does have the serial numbers on it. Maybe ask a cop friend to run them?
    As long as you're prepared to be cuffed and stuffed when you admit to breaking both state and federal law.

OldVet gave you some sage advice. The internet is not where you want to find out how to correct a transgression of the federal kind. Call a lawyer and consider abandoning internet threads about how you have broken laws.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Perhaps it's time for a "boating accident"...
    archer51 and Zralou like this.

I appreciate the help and advice.

I used to be in NC , ppt is just fine and legal to OC without a permit ( as long as you dont go to some places). CC you need a permit and you need either a CC to buy or a purchase permit from the town cops ( they are trying to get rid of this ) . Long guns can be sold by a ffl without a purchase permit .This all might have changed have not live in that part of the world a long time and I am not a lawyer ( you may want to talk to one ....)

That said it is major illegal to buy a gun from a non state resident with out a ffl involved see the 1968 GCA etc all.

You don't need to register the gun unless you are in Durham county.

Gun laws in North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

But yeah dont ever buy a gun unless a pre 1898 gun ( ie true antique ) from some one out of state . That is major illegal honeslty I am affird to say what you should do .

Good luck man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links