Open carry question

Open carry question

This is a discussion on Open carry question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm starting to consider the idea of open carry. The only draw back in my opinion is the area I live. Unfortunately for all the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Open carry question

Open carry question

I'm starting to consider the idea of open carry. The only draw back in my opinion is the area I live. Unfortunately for all the great freedoms that can be found in NH there is one set back. It is a rather liberal place these days. That said I really have no interest in going out and getting 21 questions or what have you from my local PD every time I step out the door. This is literally guaranteed in my foresight based on a smaller more rural town here in NH making news not to long ago because a man was OWB and had half the town call the police.

Anyway I guess where I'm getting is I want to you from those of you who also live in a painfully liberal town and carry OWB. How long did it take for people to become accustom to seeing you around OWB carrying. If they didn't did the police finally get to a point where they stopped checking on you from every complaint an anti made?

Just know your rights, know the law, and don't be a jerk. Also, I would recommend carrying a voice recorder and recording ANY encounters you have with the police.

With that said, most people don't notice. You may get a couple of MWAG calls, but I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    OWB does not equal OC, if you are not breaking the law then i wouldn't worry about it. voice recorder is a good idea is you are expecting to encounter police all the time. the local PD will eventually get used to you and get tired of the MWAG calls if you live in a small town.
    gatorbait51 and stylus like this.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Are you required by law in NH to have a license or permit to open carry? If not, the extent to which you wish to "play 21 questions" is entirely up to you. It's your right to carry openly. Don't be bullied into not exercising that right. Get the right holster, get training, and know the law. You'll be fine.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

I live in a VERY pro-gun conservative State in the Heartland.
    Still, I do not carry OWB in public areas. It would just scare 20 soccer moms, 30 teachers, and 75 low-info folks who get their 'news' from their TVs.

I do not have a need so urgent for OWB carry, that I need to upset so many 'voters' while gun-control is still such a popular topic.

Most people have an irrational fear of firearms and I see no advantage in feeding that fear or putting my 'rights-at-risk' for some minor convenience.
    Even as a LEO, I carried my sidearm 'concealed' while off-duty.

The OC law is there to protect CCW citizens who accidentally expose their sidearms or take/remove them from their vehicle, etc.

OWB carry is best used for hunting, plinking, competition, etc., where others are doing the same for a legitimate reason.
    If you know it is going to upset people beforehand, you will eventually lose your right.
    It isn't right, just reality.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

VIP Member
    While I don't personally see any reason to open carry something you can legally carry concealed, it is absolutely false to assert that OC laws exist to protect concealed carriers. Open carry laws exist to enable people to openly carry.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    While I don't personally see any reason to open carry something you can legally carry concealed, it is absolutely false to assert that OC laws exist to protect concealed carriers. Open carry laws exist to enable people to openly carry.
    True. The Open Carry case law in Idaho was settled in 1902... Long before Concealed Carry was required to buy a permit.
    http://www.constitution.org/2ll/bard...re_brickey.txt
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patri0t View Post
    Still, I do not carry OWB in public areas. It would just scare 20 soccer moms, 30 teachers, and 75 low-info folks who get their 'news' from their TVs.

I do not have a need so urgent for OWB carry, that I need to upset so many 'voters' while gun-control is still such a popular topic.

Most people have an irrational fear of firearms and I see no advantage in feeding that fear or putting my 'rights-at-risk' for some minor convenience.

The OC law is there to protect CCW citizens who accidentally expose their sidearms or take/remove them from their vehicle, etc.

OWB carry is best used for hunting, plinking, competition, etc., where others are doing the same for a legitimate reason.
    If you know it is going to upset people beforehand, you will eventually lose your right.

And this is why AZ, AK, KY, VA, etc... are the exception and not the rule.....

gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    In some states, it can be a legal problem if your firearm is spotted. If I am reaching for something on the top shelf, and somebody sees the gun, there can be ramifications. If I am in a state that allows open carry, and the same thing happens, there's no issue. Did open carry laws protect me? I don't think that OC laws EXIST to protect concealed carriers, but they certainly help.
    gatorbait51 and Recon1342 like this.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home. Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor. RSO. Travelin' Man.

Thanks for the insight every one.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

A right not exercised is right that will be lost.

OC in ky is protected absolutely by the states constitution, no permits no nothing to OC here. CC wasnt legal until comparatively recently compared to OC which was legal at Statehood.

Not that folks didnt carry both ways all those years anyway but that shoots down the OC exists to protect CC.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Use your better judgement on when and where you OC. I do OC on occasion. It's usually when when I'm going to a range or sometimes when I'm running quick errands.

Today as the 2nd amendment is under constant attack I think if we do not exercise OC rights then we my lose it. That said, I am not going to OC on the Strip in downtown Vegas or in a crowded shopping mall during Christmas. First off I don't want to make myself a target and secondly I don't want to freak people out. CC is is a much better and safer option.

Use good judgement and good luck!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member

While I agree some people have an irrational fear of guns, I don't think most people do.

I'd be interested in knowing where the idea that OC laws are in place to protect CC. Yes, it does make an accidental display of a gun a non-issue, I don't know of any state that has passed OC laws with CC in mind.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Actually, OC laws (that often don't even exist, making OC legal by default) are the only form of rights-based carry in over half of the states. It is typically protected by a state's constitution, rather than by statute. OC is the original Constitutional carry, whereas CC is a licensed privilege in all but 4 states.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links