Getting detained or arrested for doing nothing illegal, happening more often

This is a discussion on Getting detained or arrested for doing nothing illegal, happening more often within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; People getting detained and arrested not just for making YouTube videos. but some people who are actually out during the day carrying it for a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Getting detained or arrested for doing nothing illegal, happening more often

Getting detained or arrested for doing nothing illegal, happening more often

People getting detained and arrested not just for making YouTube videos. but some people who are actually out during the day carrying it for a purpose. I'm not talking about idiots making YouTube videos getting harassed. There are many parts to this puzzle why we can get in trouble for doing something that is completely legal, 1 over the years government and news media has brainwashed the public that only law enforcement can carry weapons.2 not enough people open carry their weapons so it is not a common sight.3 when people call 911 to report somebody with a gun that idiot operator that takes the call does not ask a simple question what is that person doing with a gun, and if he's doing nothing with that gun other then walking around with a holstered weapon, that operate should tell the person calling that it is completely legal ((to stop wasting my time)).4 nobody is trying to educate the general public that this is perfectly legal if your state allows it, there are so many pro gun organizations that do not try to educate the general public that this is illegal and do not to call the police every time they see a holstered weapon on somebody.5 maybe we should put the shoe on the other foot and we should start calling 911 every time we see anybody who has a protrusion in his pants ? Gun start calling the police to come investigate, maybe eventually they will get sick and tired of doing this. I think we should put pressure on every state that allows us to carry openly to make this law openly known to all the citizens of that state and not to call 911 if they do not seem somebody committing a crime . and can we press charges against somebody that calls the police on us for reporting that we are committing a crime, isn't it against the law to report a false crime to the police.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    It all depends on location. A MWAG call around here will not even get a dispatch. Unless a person is showing off with a gun, and that happens often with younger guys when drinking, nobody will be arrested or even detained. What many do around here would get a person arrested in NY, CA or some other states.

The local news stations are doing regular segments on guns, training, laws and other things. In areas where people grew up with guns, there is little concern about guns. In areas where the concealed weapons laws or newly enacted OC laws have been implmented, then calls to police will be frequent.

Yet people need to learn to carry discretely and not have an "in your face" attitude.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I doubt it's happening "more," only that you're hearing about it more. Face it, 20 years ago it took a major incident to get beyond the local newspaper or radio broadcast. Nowadays, you fart in a crosswalk and it's on CNN in 10 minutes and on Youtube in 20. News travels faster and everyone wants to get their Scoops on the headlines. And certain things draw attention today that wouldn't get air time 20 years ago.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "and can we press charges against somebody that calls the police on us for reporting that we are committing a crime, isn't it against the law to report a false crime to the police. "

There's a difference between calling 911 and saying you're robbing a store or shooting someone and calling 911 and saying you might be going to rob a store or shoot someone.
    Secret Spuk and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    That is like saying "Tornadoes are much stronger and more destructive than they were 20 years ago". Truth is, the tornado is the same. There is just more stuff for the tornado to tear up.

"Deaths from auto accidents are on the rise" Why? There are more cars on the road and thus more folks to die in auto accidents. (Actually per capita auto accident deaths are down)

Sure there are more people being arrested and/or detained for no reason. There are more people, thus a higher chance of someone being detained for no reason.

Now, combine this with the whining, slanted, liberal media and the "look at me" youtube poster with a cell phone video camera, you are just seeing more of this type of stuff. Probably, 3 times as much as was previously reported.

What is the first thing that, both, Stalin and Hitler did? Control the media
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Look further into "people getting detained or arrested for doing nothing illegal".

The MWAG call is the tip of the iceberg. It is more class warfare than anything else..It is the agenda of many in power
    to keep many more (down on the farm).

"THEY (WHO) SEEK TO ESTABLISH SYSTEMS OF GOVERNMENT BASED ON THE REGIMENTATION OF ALL HUMAN BEINGS BY A HANDFUL OF INDIVIDUAL RULERS...CALL THIS A NEW ORDER. IT IS NOT NEW AND IT IS NOT ORDER."
    FDR
    gatorbait51 and ccw9mm like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Sponsor
    OP,
    Paragraphs are your friend
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Jdp751 View Post
    People getting detained and arrested not just for making YouTube videos. but some people who are actually out during the day carrying it for a purpose. I'm not talking about idiots making YouTube videos getting harassed. There are many parts to this puzzle why we can get in trouble for doing something that is completely legal, 1 over the years government and news media has brainwashed the public that only law enforcement can carry weapons.2 not enough people open carry their weapons so it is not a common sight.3 when people call 911 to report somebody with a gun that idiot operator that takes the call does not ask a simple question what is that person doing with a gun, and if he's doing nothing with that gun other then walking around with a holstered weapon, that operate should tell the person calling that it is completely legal ((to stop wasting my time)).4 nobody is trying to educate the general public that this is perfectly legal if your state allows it, there are so many pro gun organizations that do not try to educate the general public that this is illegal and do not to call the police every time they see a holstered weapon on somebody.5 maybe we should put the shoe on the other foot and we should start calling 911 every time we see anybody who has a protrusion in his pants ? Gun start calling the police to come investigate, maybe eventually they will get sick and tired of doing this. I think we should put pressure on every state that allows us to carry openly to make this law openly known to all the citizens of that state and not to call 911 if they do not seem somebody committing a crime . and can we press charges against somebody that calls the police on us for reporting that we are committing a crime, isn't it against the law to report a false crime to the police.

My friend.
    I understand your frustration. Firearms laws for the most part are local, or state laws. To generalize, and lump all O/C police incidents together is not a reasonable way to look at them. It's also unreasonable for us to expect the average person to understand every facet of every law we choose to make important, no more than it would be reasonable for us to be experts in their pet law's.

We are a society of laws. These laws are enforced, and arbitrated by our justice system. In the front line of that justice system is the police. The police not only enforce laws, they provide many services to society. When a person has a problem be it a criminal, civil, noise, stopped toilet, sick at home, dispute, bump in the night.... or a situation that may cause them alarm, the police are the ones who get the call. The police must make sense of the situation and if possible mittigate it. If a person see another wearing a firearm openly and that cause distress and or alarm... they can call the police. The police must respond and investigate. The less common it is to see a person wearing a firearm, the more likely it will cause alarm and the police called. And thats just the way it is. The police have every duty to investigate. And thats just the way that is.

Having had spend the greatest part of my adult life working as a policeman I can understand the subject from an officers point of view. As a non-sworn civilian I also see it as a licensed or otherwise legal carrier. There is a happy medium anchored in respect, reasonable behaviour, and common sense. From all sides.

VIP Member
    I can't wait to ask my wife if she sees a "protrusion in my pants" before I leave the house.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I can't wait to ask my wife if she sees a "protrusion in my pants" before I leave the house.
    Mine wouldnt care as long as it was still there when I came back...jus sayin
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Mine wouldnt care as long as it was still there when I came back...jus sayin
    Bet that was hard to write
    american23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Bet that was hard to write
    LOL...folks say I have a strange sense of humor but it is paid for.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I think we are seeing more people calling 911 with less reason. We see people calling 911 for cable TV outages poor quality fast food etc. Many on this forum believe in self reliance. Other people are seeking the opposite.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    I think we are seeing more people calling 911 with less reason. We see people calling 911 for cable TV outages poor quality fast food etc. Many on this forum believe in self reliance. Other people are seeking the opposite.
    I started answering 911 cals in 1973. There have always been silly 911 calls. Nothing new.

Distinguished Member Array BlackStallion29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdave View Post
    That's the gubberments fault. they want everybody to believe they'll take care of them for any reason.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "Everybody gets knocked down in life. How you choose to get back up is up to you!"
    *NRA* *BFA*
    *GOA* *SAF*
    *NAGR*

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links