Open Carrier Wins Unlawful Detention Suit

This is a discussion on Open Carrier Wins Unlawful Detention Suit within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not sure if this was better here or in the news section. Good on him. Open gun carrier wins settlement in Corvallis unlawful detainment case...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Open Carrier Wins Unlawful Detention Suit

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar

Open Carrier Wins Unlawful Detention Suit

Not sure if this was better here or in the news section. Good on him.

Open gun carrier wins settlement in Corvallis unlawful detainment case

2. Remove Ads

The "In The News" section is only for self defense related news stories. So this is better here.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I enjoy the way Canda Fuqua writes.

Okay, I just wanted to say "Canda Fuqua".
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The "In The News" section is only for self defense related news stories. So this is better here.
    Yeah that was my reasoning for posting it here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Good news for the Open Carrier. Good also the Corvallis PD took a refresher look at the rights of local citizens where the 2A is concerned. A Win-Win for all concerned.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

A good result for sure. I wish i had the extra time in my life that would allow me to be willing to accept the possible hassle that could come from OC in areas where people are scared of it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

VIP Member
    Good for the OCer, but $5K is not going to impact the department. That is not even a speed bump.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Good for the OCer, but $5K is not going to impact the department. That is not even a speed bump.
    It's not even coming from them directly, it's coming from their insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    I disagree... a city with a population of 54,400 can't have a very big police department, and tax dollars are stretched thin as thin can be just about everywhere. I'd be willing to wager that a $5K settlement (that will probably cause their insurance to go up) is indeed a speed bump. It won't break them or anything, but I bet there is a pretty clear directive on what the office can and can't do, because they don't want another even bigger settlement down the road.
    brocktice, Stoveman and Aceoky like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

And thousands of YouTube OC Baiters wet their jeans with the verdict.

I'm all for open carry. And I do think the Police and public at large need to be better educated about it. But the douche nozzles that go around with camera in hand hoping for the police to roll up so they can spout off about their rights being violated, while at the same time making all gun owners look like loons, are going to get nothing but encouragement from this.

Good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Aceoky likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Every time I read one of these stories there seem to be many gaps in what really happened. Since an insurance company paid the settlement, the police dept was unaffected. I do not understand why there would have to be a refresher course on 2a rights to the police officers, that is scary.

OCing is not the issue, fear of someone OCing is the issue. Why? Has our culture become so soft and gooey that folks are not expected to fend off the wolves? I do understand, that in our culture, folks are paranoid about the least little thing. Some folks just like to create problems by screaming "wolf". IMHO. I believe that some folks create problems by strapping on a gun and poking their chest out boasting that it is their "right" to do so. I do not carry because it it my right to do so. I carry because I want to of protect myself and my family. I will have to admit, as Jeffersonian as I am, I see some people OCing and wonder "what is that guy is doing with a gun on." I guess that we are all affected, in some way, by the "blitz of fear" media that we have today.

I don't know of any surefire way to stop the fear, of some, caused by the sight of an armed citizen. Perhaps if more folks did OC, then it would slowly become more of a normal, cultural, thing, as it was 50 years ago. All that I know is, I don't have the liberties that I had 50 years ago. Folks say that gun owners have made positive strides in the past few years. NO, they have not. They just regained a tiny bit of what has slowly been taken away. If the story is entirely accurate, then KUDOS to the guy who stuck with it. If CNN and the major networks reported 10000 stories like this MAYBE things would change. Then again, things could go south in a hurry.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...the officer was suspicious of Hall because he was openly carrying a gun in a high-crime area..."

What better place to be armed than a "high-crime" area? While the monetary amount is insignificant in itself, it adds one more instance of initiative for police to not stop OC'ers for no reason other than OC'ing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good result. Never should have been stopped, IMO. And the claim that other crimes have been committed in the area isn't justification to stop folks, not in a OC state. Sadly, in Oregon the statutes do not yet state that mere carry isn't justification at all, absent a crime or clearly-impending crime occurring. Carrying lawfully, non-threateningly and going about one's business should never qualify, I'd say.

Hopefully the $5K will sting a bit, in the smaller town. My guess is, though, given the somewhat flippant attitude in those quotes by the LE folks in the article, not much will change. They still apparently imagine mere carry qualifies as potential threat, in that town. They'll have to learn otherwise, and that'll take time to change. Many of the cities in OR are ultra-lib, regarding arms. Won't change overnight, unless jumped on hard by the courts and clarified once and for all by the legislature.
    Anubis, Ghost1958 and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Years ago I went to visit my mother when she lived in Corvallis. We arrived in Corvallis wee hours of the morning and were promptly stopped by a patrol car. The Officer asked me step out of the vehicle. I did so and the first words out his mouth were "I can have back up here in 3 minutes!" I responded "If anybody attacks you I will try to fight them off till the back up gets here." After this he lightened up but left me thinking strange folks on the job there.
    ccw9mm, brocktice, Sister and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links