Open carriers at farmer's market have another encounter with police.

This is a discussion on Open carriers at farmer's market have another encounter with police. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The same two men who were confronted by police for open carrying rifles at a farmers market in Appleton, WI were stopped again by police ...

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree464Likes

Thread: Open carriers at farmer's market have another encounter with police.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar

The same two men who were confronted by police for open carrying rifles at a farmers market in Appleton, WI were stopped again by police for openly carrying a shotgun. These guys are not helping the cause. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...0101/311040332

Distinguished Member
    I agree with you RightyLefty.
    Arborigine likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

If you have the right, exercise it.

Just because you have the right to speak your mind doesn't mean it's right to tell us what you think. (right?)
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    "Right away he said if we move I’m going to shoot you in the head. That was the first sentence out of his mouth. They threatened us with deadly force from the beginning,” Branstrom said."

If true there's a serious problem with the PD. Some people may have an involuntary movement out of fear; the office blows his head off. For what? Lawfully carrying a weapon?

I'm am not a confrontational guy and I don't usually OC. But when OC encounters happen, all parties - the police, the carrier, and the public - should learn from it.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    It may not help regarding the perceptions of the general public, but I do think that this type of thing serves a definite purpose. It's terrific that some people are willing to put themselves into a possible tough situation, but tact and restraint are a must.
    Last edited by ArkhmAsylm; November 6th, 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I have no problem with exercising the right but there are ways of doing it without stirring the pot. These guys could have just as easily openly carried pistols on their hips and this would have been been a non-issue. Now this has happened a second time only brings PR campaign against gun ownership and the carrying of weapons more to the forefront.

The legally armed citizens walking through Appleton were threatened with Deadly Force by legally armed citizens employed by Appleton.

It is very fortunate for the citizens who threatened the good citizens were not shot by the innocent people out walking.
    They certainly would have been within their rights to do so. I know I wouldn't like someone threatening to shoot me or a loved one in the head.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

If the account is true, I wouldn't take too kindly to being threatened with deadly force for doing absolutely nothing illegal.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    If the account is true, I wouldn't take too kindly to being threatened with deadly force for doing absolutely nothing illegal.
    The last time I was at a Farmers Market no one said a thing about my gun. It might be because they couldn't see it.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Quote Originally Posted by RightyLefty View Post
    The same two men who were confronted by police for open carrying rifles at a farmers market in Appleton, WI were stopped again by police for openly carrying a shotgun. These guys are not helping the cause. Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/...0101/311040332
    rights not exercised will be lost.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

I have no problem with exercising the right but there are ways of doing it without stirring the pot. These guys could have just as easily openly carried pistols on their hips and this would have been been a non-issue. Now this has happened a second time only brings PR campaign against gun ownership and the carrying of weapons more to the forefront.
    Enlighten me. Why the distinction between OK to OC a pistol vs OC a shotgun or rifle? All are firearms and all can kill when used by a person. Are you sure open carrying a pistol would have been a "non-issue"?
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    I hear this argument all the time, but the only people that seem to be put off by the OC'ers are other carriers.

I'm still waiting for the legislative backlash resulting from the MWAG call on the open carrier.

On the other hand, many non-carriers have learned that it's legal to OC. They may not like it, but the realize some guy with a gun acting lawfully is not the Boogeyman.

Oh well. This is only the 999th incarnation of this topic....
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

If this was a case where police threatened someone with shooting them in the head for exercising free speech (even if they were stupid and doing a propaganda stunt) the headline would be be notably different as well as some of the replies here.

The dang story in this situation should not be about the two guys but about the improper use of the police stopping folks while doing something legal.
    Brad426, Qtip, OldVet and 11 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    The last time I was at a Farmers Market no one said a thing about my gun. It might be because they couldn't see it.
    ^^^+1^^^ Sound advice, and that's all I'm gonna say about that.

+2.

Whether you like it or not, just because its our RIGHT to OC, doesnt mean we cant be without common sense in how and what and where we do it. You HAVE TO consider the environment that you are going to be in.

I can legally open carry in schools in MI... should I sling an AR15 on my back to go vote or pick up my son from school? No. It is not the SENSIBLE thing to do.

Just like with the First Amendment, you must still be aware of WHAT you say and WHERE you say it, even if it is your God given right to do so.
    EdJean and dean1818 like this.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links