Flying to Denver tomorrow. Carry?

This is a discussion on Flying to Denver tomorrow. Carry? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As of now, I'm not going to bring my G33 along but I wish I was. I know Calorado accepts Iowa but I hear Denver ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Flying to Denver tomorrow. Carry?

Flying to Denver tomorrow. Carry?

As of now, I'm not going to bring my G33 along but I wish I was. I know Calorado accepts Iowa but I hear Denver is kinda like Chicago. Plus I've never flown with a gun before. I know you have to have it in checked baggage of course.

But can you have it in a locked case inside a checked suit case? I guess I would like to know if this would be something to do and how or just not bother with it? I hate not going armed, especially in a big city but if it isnt possible or a huge hassle, I wont take it.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar
    I cannot say anything about flying with a firearm because when I do such, it has always been in my own plane and I can wear it in any privately owned plane.

However I have carried for a total of six weeks (two weeks at a time for three times over three months) in Denver. Not an issue. No hassles. It is just like any other big city. As long as you are law abiding and not going places where law abiding folks do not go, you will be fine. I would not go there without my gun but then I will not go anywhere without my gun.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I've carried in Denver for a conference. No issues. Just keep in mind I think OC is illegal in Denver but not in most of the rest of the state. No gun signs do not have the force of law unless there are metal detectors and secure storage for your gun at all entrances. IANAL.

As for flying, you must check BOTH the TSA rules AND the rules for your particular airline, and you must obey them both. Locked container inside a normal bag is allowable, at least on Delta and Southwest. In the past that's how I have done it. The next time I fly with guns I'm bringing a locked hard-sided Pelican type case. TSA locks are not allowed, you need real locks.
    ShooterGranny and oldman45 like this.

The city of Denver prohibits OC but CC is good to go with a license.

Also, it's only the City/County of Denver (including DIA) that is special- the rest of the metro area has to follow the state preemption law. I still wouldn't OC in the metro area.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

It's been a few years, but a hard sided locked case should be inside your suitcase. The ticket agent will ask to see the locked case, and will tag the locked case with a red firearms tag. The whole locked case goes inside the suitcase.

Firearm must be unloaded. Ammo must be in a container that covers the primers. Original box is ok, a magazine is often not allowed since at least one primer is partially exposed.

Most often the ticket agent will not ask to have the case opened, you do have to sign a declaration that it is unloaded.

Depending on the airport the suitcase may be put on the conveyor belt by the agent, or you may have to take it to the checked bag screener yourself.

You cannot curbside check with a firearm, have to go inside.

Always go to the airline website and print out their rules on checked firearms. Have them with you. If the ticket agent won't follow the rules of the airline, ask to speak to the Ground Security Coordinator. That is an airline representative who is knowledgable about the rules.

I've flown several times, though not recently, in and out of New Orleans, Boston and Providence, with never a problem. Hopefully you will have as easy a time of it as I have had.

USM C-4

From the Hub City of the South

============================
    "Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull." - Arya Stark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    brocktice and farsidefan1 like this.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

VIP Member
    Take your Glock and be safe. Travelling with a firearm is not a big deal.

This is how I do it:

Unloaded and in a locked container inside another suitcase.
    Ammunition in either the factory cardboard or in an ammunition specific case. Sometimes I just put this in my regular suitcase.
    Check your specific airline for their policy and print out a copy and have that with you. You would be surprised at how many airline employees don't know their own policy. Print out the TSA regs as well and keep them with you.
    Tell the ticket agent (inside, most airlines won't let you check a firearm at curbside check in) that you have a firearm to declare. Some will check your case, some will not.
    They will have you fill out the form and either put it inside the firearm case or tape it to the outside. I push for the latter which usually prevents the TSA goons from having to have you open the case again.
    Some airlines will make you wait by the security checkpoint while TSA screens your bag and they might have you open the case. In my experience this has happened very infrequently.
    Pick up luggage at destination airport, rig up in bathroom and carry on.

Edit: Personal experience with US Air, American, Southwest and the now defunct Continental. Zero issues. Have heard horror stories about United. YMMV

If I'm legal to carry, I carry.

You'll need to have the pistol unloaded, locked in a hard-sided container, inside your suitcase. I put it in the pocket in the "lid" of my suitcase so I can get to it easily, and install a bright orange plastic safety plug in the chamber (one that came with one of my pistols). I bring carry ammo (and for longer trips, practice ammo) in an original box.

My very first words to the check-in agent are, "Good morning/afternoon/evening, I have a firearm to declare in my checked baggage." I do this BEFORE I put the bag on the scale. There will be a firearms declaration tag you'll need to fill out (or s/he will fill out for you, then give you to sign). I've had some agents tell me to tie the tag to the outside of the case, and others to put it inside the case. Some just want to see the case is locked. Others want you to show them that it's unloaded - I open the case, but do not pick up the pistol - that's one reason I put in the plug - it's obvious that it's unloaded. Some airports will have you (or the agent) walk it to a TSA screener, who may want to see it as well lots of the bigger airports just put it through some super-duper X-ray scanner.

On the other end, you want to be at baggage claim before the conveyor starts moving. A very few places will deliver bags with checked firearms to the baggage office, but in most places I've been to recently, it shows up at the baggage claim with everything else.

It's really not much of a pain at all, though I personally believe we ought to be able to carry onboard...
    K7lvo and 84160 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    ..........It's really not much of a pain at all, though I personally believe we ought to be able to carry on board...
    I believe Legal U.S. Citizens should be able to carry on board, as well. I've only flown commercially 3x in my life and I would have felt better if my fellow passengers were allowed to carry.
    If there is an upside to a 'Gun-Free-Zone' at 30,000 feet, I sure don't see it.
    I have seen the many weapons made of non-metallic composites & ceramic blades, (they are far beyond the 'alleged box-cutters' that were used on 9/11) that could easily get past the TSA chimps. I'd rather trust my fellow passengers than the Government Hacks, that have never found a single terrorist yet.
    K7lvo and oldman45 like this.
    Retired State Trooper (40 long years) 8 years State Range Instructor - BS Degree- Justice, MS Degree- Criminology
    All forms of Gun Control are Unconstitutional / Illegal and beyond the scope of the US. Supreme Court.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one"- Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Plus I've never flown with a gun before. I know you have to have it in checked baggage of course.
    I've flown with arms on numerous occasions, where my CHL is recognized in the destination state. Lock it and ammo separately, check it at the counter, carry appropriately upon arrival. Works just fine, presuming you don't run afoul of the destination state's little surprises in their own carry requirements (ie, preemption not quite covering all firearms-related issues in some cities).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Another thing to consider is how many times does luggage holding a firearm fail to be located. A friend lost a nice gun at a Houston airport. A news report on one of the major networks recently showed how one baggage handler was taking computers, laptops and firearms. If there is a sticker on the luggage showing a firearm inside, it might not make it to the destination.

If I were to fly commercially, I would likely carry a gun I did not care about and not one of my custom guns.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    If there is a sticker on the luggage showing a firearm inside, it might not make it to the destination.
    This would be a prohibited action. They are NOT allowed to mark the outside of the container with respect to it containing a firearm.

I've seen several comments above that say that you need to put a locked hard sided case INSIDE of checked luggage. As a point of clarification, this is not correct. You may also use hard sided luggage and lock it, such as a pelican case. Nothing says you need to place a small container INSIDE of an unlocked (and TSA locks are unlocked) baggage. This way you can lock all of your stuff and TSA does not have access to it in a back room.

This web page has a lot of excellent information on this subject: Packing & the Friendly Skies
    NH_Esau and NYMike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    This would be a prohibited action. They are NOT allowed to mark the outside of the container with respect to it containing a firearm.

I've seen several comments above that say that you need to put a locked hard sided case INSIDE of checked luggage. As a point of clarification, this is not correct. You may also use hard sided luggage and lock it, such as a pelican case. Nothing says you need to place a small container INSIDE of an unlocked (and TSA locks are unlocked) baggage. This way you can lock all of your stuff and TSA does not have access to it in a back room.

This web page has a lot of excellent information on this subject: Packing & the Friendly Skies
    Well it may be prohibited but it happens daily. I own a nice locakble case that I loaned to a friend that was flying to New Orleans by way of Houston. He brought it back with a little tag on the handle saying firearm enclosed. The same with an attorney friend that frequently flies to remote locations on hunts that I cannot afford. His long gun cases are always tagged when I pick him up at the airport up on his return. He is also the person that lost a gun at Houston.

Try this site:

http://www.usnews.com/news/newsgram/...n-from-baggage

Google missing firearm airport and see how many reports are filed each year.

This article: http://boardingarea.com/flyingwithfi...-go-unnoticed/
    Describes how guns in luggage are marked by airlines so others notice.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

The bright red FIREARM tag is required to be affixed to the locked container holding the firearm. If you are using the hard sided locked suitcase as the container, then the tag goes on the outside of the suitcase for all to see. You are better off using a smaller compliant gun case INSIDE. The tag goes on the gun case, which then goes inside the suitcase, out of sight of curious eyes.

USM C-4

From the Hub City of the South

============================
    "Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull." - Arya Stark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aaron1100us and NH_Esau like this.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

Thanks for all the replies.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Just check handgunlaw.us for the local laws and make sure you don't get caught with a more than 10 rounds in your magazine in CO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links