December 14 is approaching

This is a discussion on December 14 is approaching within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have been informed, groups of anti gun people are going to hold rallies on December 14, 2013, to protest citizens having guns. My ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: December 14 is approaching

Distinguished Member Array oldman45's Avatar

December 14 is approaching

As I have been informed, groups of anti gun people are going to hold rallies on December 14, 2013, to protest citizens having guns.

My personal feelings are that if we gun owners walk around, where legal, openly carrying will show people that we want our guns and not all people with guns are using them for bad.

Carrying concealed will not let those that may be out in public see that we are the good guys.

So what do you think?
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.
    A 9mm might expand but a .45acp never shrinks.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

2. Remove Ads

If you own a gun you can never be a "good" guy in their eyes. You fail to understand the liberal mind set.
    Last edited by Smitty901; December 8th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.

Nothing will "show them" anything.
    gatorbait51 and american23 like this.

My opinion is just let them do their thing..... I'll be at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If you own a gun you can never be a "good" guy in their eyes. You fail to you fail to understand the liberal mind set.
    I would not try to change the small mind of an anti but those on the fence about guns might see a different side to gun owners than what the media is going to be portraying.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

Unfortunately, OC isn't an option in my state, but I'll be more than happy to show up at any rally planned in my area to counter-protest.
    gatorbait51 and Bassindude like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Against the law in Texas. No open carry. Are you proposing to attend the rally and walk around open carrying (where legal)? Doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe I misunderstood your post. Also did you mean to say "good guys"?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

We don't have open carry in S.C..People has to decide what's best for them.That being said,even if we had OC,unless i knew it would make some kind of a difference,i have better things to do with my time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    They had one at the capital in Little Rock.

A total of 14 people showed up.
    It was deemed a success, even though there were more cops than people attending.
    blitzburgh, OD*, archer51 and 5 others like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post
    As I have been informed, groups of anti gun people are going to hold rallies on December 14, 2013, to protest citizens having guns.

My personal feelings are that if we gun owners walk around, where legal, openly carrying will show people that we want our guns and not all people with guns are using them for bad.

Carrying concealed will not let those that may be out in public see that we are the good guys.

So what do you think?
    Rather than doing something that will irritate the antis or which will precipitate MWAG calls, you'd be more effective by taking a young kid shooting, or maybe take someone who's on the fence about guns and shooting.

You'll have better results planting positive seeds with minds that haven't been fully made up yet.
    suntzu, wmhawth, nechaev and 5 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

We have one scheduled in Vegas. Nevada Shooters is organizing a counter demo.
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    Against the law in Texas. No open carry. Are you proposing to attend the rally and walk around open carrying (where legal)? Doesn't seem like a good idea. Maybe I misunderstood your post. Also did you mean to say "good guys"?
    Fixed my typo, thank you for catching it.

Nope, I am not going to attend any rally that might take place in my area. I have more important things to do like shopping. I will be OCing at Walmart, CVS, Cracker Barrel and where ever else I might be.

Anti gunners only know what the liberal media tells them. I stopped giving the media interviews back in 2004 because they slant what one says just as they did in the Zimmerman 911 call. The ones I want to reach are those that have not became anti gun people but are not pro gun because they also only see the anti side from the media. There are a lot of misconceptions about gun owners by people that can be won over if we show them that we are decent, clean, mannerly, intelligent, well groomed, articulate, hard working people just like they are. Well,,,,, at least we can meet some of those descriptions.
    gatorbait51 and Bassindude like this.

One thing to consider proximity to schools and park rules close to demonstration site make potential for misadventure with OC whether handgun or EBR. Since the group holding the anti demo in Vegas is a moms org Pro Gun Moms and Kids help deny them the high ground.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldman45 View Post

So what do you think?
    It will not change their minds (antis). The fence sitters are being converted every day by people taking them shooting. IMO this is an in your face type action, whether it is legal or not I do not believe it will help anything in the gun rights movement.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    If you own a gun you can never be a "good" guy in their eyes. You fail to you fail to understand the liberal mind set.
    I think most of us understand it enough to appreciate there'll always be resentment, always be fear, always be loathing over the concept of arms in the hands of citizens ... at least, in the short run.

Which is the whole point of getting used to things over time. With such folks, it'll most certainly take a very, very long time. But, people got used to the sight of cars when they were first introduced, once they realized those things weren't running over every horse and pedestrian alive. Folks got used to the concept of air travel, once they realized not every one fell out of the sky from 10Kft+. And folks have gotten used to seeing citizens armed, in most of the states where it's perfectly lawful to do so. Over time, that is.

Doesn't mean the ultra-libs will like it, in the short run; might even be another excuse for hundreds of the worst of them to push their critters hard in Congress, just because they see a new wave of visible carriers around. But, over time, the dead weight of examples abounding that show it to be a non-issue will help the issue in the long run. Get close enough to proof of it being a good thing, then it'll get hard to view it any other way. Ultra-libs or not, as with any other issue of the day.
    oldman45 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links