OC Experiment by Local News

This is a discussion on OC Experiment by Local News within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pretty fair piece, actually. The local CLEO comes off as a dope. Don't know if it was edited that way or he just can't articulate ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: OC Experiment by Local News

VIP Member

Pretty fair piece, actually.

The local CLEO comes off as a dope. Don't know if it was edited that way or he just can't articulate a formidable argument against OC.

Loved the older lady with the permit....

The Chief is saying he has "A job to do" and "Some people are pushing the limits" I don't see where either of those are justification for inhibiting a persons freedom. I don't open carry however it is the right of people to do so. Would we advocate abridging freedom of the press or voting rights because politicians have "A job to do" and "Some people are pushing the limits"?

The local cleo seems to think only he should be allowed to carry a gun. Its not about too many guns out there Its about too many gang bangers out there with guns. Why is it no one cares to address this problem and leave the legitimate,non crimminal element alone? His comment tells me he would disarm the entire town.

Open carrying means that if a bad guy has a gun, you've become target #1. Better that they not know.

Aside from that, I think the greater threat for those of us who live in suburbia is being accosted by police for "inducing panic" or refusing an officer's order. That's happened here. Police are called because "there's a man with a gun". Then police show up. This has happened multiple times here in the last few years.

Here's a link to a guy who OC'd into a quickie mart and got hassled. He's suing the city (2 miles from me). http://www.policeone.com/Gun-Legisla...en-carry-case/

I'd rather not get hassled and/or arrested, my name smeared all over the news for fault of my own, etc.
    Life is about service.

+1 Honest assessment of a social experiment.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    Good vid. Thanks for posting, OP.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Ohio View Post
    Open carrying means that if a bad guy has a gun, you've become target #1. Better that they not know.
    LOL

I've been OCing off and on for 50 years every since I got out of the Army. I have never had a problem of any kind when OCing.

I do have a CCDW License but sometimes it's just easier to OC and OC is a whole lot more comfortable than CC.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

The anti gun crowd loves to pose a question which they seem to think is unanswerable..."How do you tell who the bad guy is?".

Well, in a mall, or school shooting situation, hes the guy who everyone is running away from, perhaps hes yelling "I am the shooter!", looks pretty out of place, AND crazy, and is shooting everything in sight. That doesnt seem too hard to me.

Folks going about their business, not a threat to others, like those carrying in the video dont bother many people. No matter what the press wants us to think.

One of the rare cases where the gun law is smarter than the law enforcement officer.

Now THIS is real journalism. Find out the facts and report them, instead of taking a position and finding facts to back it up. If all "reporters" actually reported, our problems would disappear.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

I would tell the police officer that I have a job to do as well (protect myself and my family).
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Ohio View Post
    Provide proof of that beat-to-death statement. I can just as easily assert that any BG coming in to rob the place isn't looking at everyone's waist to see if anyone is OC'ing, plus those old ladies sitting there will take the BGs down while they're busy checking for holsters.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's a good piece, asking a valid question. I've seen the news where people deliberately walk downtown with AR-15s slung over the shoulder just because they can. Such a thing is completely legal here in Indiana (you can also sling a katana if that's your preference), but that is pushing the limit. I get it that they're exercising their right, but I still feel it's unnecessary.

The 1st amendment guarantees my right to say profanities and offensive things, but I still do my best to avoid exercising it that far. I reserve that right for occasions that truly call for it, like when I accidentally hit my thumb with a hammer...
    Hopyard, Phaedrus, JDE101 and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    I have OC in PA on a few visits and always a great outcome and no-one has said a word . Thank Stove for the video ...........I am surprised the media would even do this as to inform people of their rights .
    saigaguy and BurgerBoy like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

VIP Member
    "pushing the limits" ????????

I either conform with the law or I don't.

I am no fan of OC, but the laws are the laws and if folks want to cary OC, have at it.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

VIP Member
    Often when people look outside their bubble-echo chamber they are surprised.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links