Saw someone open carrying in Texas

This is a discussion on Saw someone open carrying in Texas within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open carry in Texas is illegal. Yesterday, I was pulling into my local supermarket's parking lot and saw a guy open carrying a handgun, right ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: Saw someone open carrying in Texas

VIP Member

Saw someone open carrying in Texas

Open carry in Texas is illegal. Yesterday, I was pulling into my local supermarket's parking lot and saw a guy open carrying a handgun, right side, around 4 o'clock. My first reaction was 'WHOH!'. The gun wasn't just exposed - it was being worn in an OWB leather holster. Then I saw the badge just to the left of the gun on the wearer's belt.

I want Texas to legalize open carry. I just watched a video about open carry in Pennsylvania. The law there allows open carry without a permit. That's the way it should be - constitutional carry.

Without getting into the argument of whether it's smart to open carry or not, my thoughts are that carrying, open and concealed, should be legal, as guaranteed by the Constitution. The thing that's mind-boggling is that it's legal to conceal carry in Texas, but open carry is illegal.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Well....OC is legal in Wisconsin but in all these years I have yet to see one person OC. Would not bother me if someone did but I am amazed no one does.
    BenGoodLuck and gatorbait51 like this.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and Remington 12 gauge.

It wasn't a cop? I thought TX was an open carry state before reading this thread.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saigaguy View Post
    It wasn't a cop? I thought TX was an open carry state before reading this thread.
    He was a cop. And, unfortunately, Texas is not yet an open carry state.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Open carry is legal in my state with or without a CHP. I would not want that to change.

Interestingly enough, Texas isn't as gun friendly of a state as it would have the world think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    He was a cop. And, unfortunately, Texas is not yet an open carry state.
    Ah I see. I read badge and first thing I thought about were the concealed carry badges that are sold at gun shows haha. I've seen it here in Florida before, no badge. You can tell the if they're cops though just how they walk and dress.
    NRA Member
    Criminology Student
    Expert in learning :)

Distinguished Member Array squid86's Avatar
    That's really weird that OC is illegal in Texas. And yes it is true PA allows it, been living here most of my life and have only seen someone OCing once here. Saw it all the time in NV.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
    USN Veteran
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Without a doubt, OC should be legal nationwide. But, give all your power to Austin, Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio, and that's what you get.

Here in NH, except in the cities and especially North Boston (Nashua/Manchester) it's not likely to get much of a second glance - except from guys like me trying to figure out what kind of rig you're carrying... and if I'm going to eye it up like that, most likely I'm going to ask.

I like OC just because if your guns shows you wont get in trouble ( Florida is just starting to chnage there laws to cover this). Also if you are carrying bigger guns esp when outdoors it is nice ( see big bore wheel guns and doubles stack guns).

Plus yeah I like OWB it is more commfy ..

Back before we went no permit for all carry most people OC as that was legal withouth a permit now everyone carries concled . But I do still see people OC now and then .

It is nice to have the options and not worry if a little bit of your gun is showing

Quote Originally Posted by squid86 View Post
    That's really weird that OC is illegal in Texas. And yes it is true PA allows it, been living here most of my life and have only seen someone OCing once here. Saw it all the time in NV.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2
    I too have lived in PA for the majority of my life and I've yet to see one person OCing. From what I've heard and read on PAFOA, it seems to be a sure-fire way of getting harassed by LEO's.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    We are protected from prosecution due to accidental or inadvertent gun exposure in Texas. Our 2013 legislature took care of that for us. They also passed several more gun-friendly laws. I would support open carry here, but I would not choose to open carry. NH_Esau, please explain exactly what "power" you are referring to in your post. I don't understand.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

I see it all the time here in NC

My first thought was you saw me in Home Depot yesterday.
    I have been hobbeling around on crutches for about 2 months now and yesterday after getting out of my pickup and crutching it inside HD in Roanoke I realized my jacket had hung up on the grip of my sidearm (IWB 4 oclock) and exposed it to the World.
    Man! did it feel weird! I did a quick 360 and no one even noticed. Or acted like they noticed!
    And yes I covered it up asap.

I wish they'd go open carry here. I've got some nice OC holsters I'd like to use more.
    I wear them here around on my Ranch property. We've got a coyote problem!
    4 down so far.

My good friend is a Cop and he open carries a lot just like that guy in the OP's story. Makes me jealous. Not that I want to all the time, but I don't like the idea of getting arrested because mine exposed itself when I was busy doing something else.
    What have you done to prepare for the end of civilization as we know it?

I see and do it all the time in NC as well. Never an issue unless I am in a crowd. Then I am more apt to conceal.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links